???WHICH DOCUMENTS TO CARRY IN THE CAR AT ALL TIMES

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

???WHICH DOCUMENTS TO CARRY IN THE CAR AT ALL TIMES

Postby Jool » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 am

Can anyone provide a definitive list of precisely what is required with answers to specific questions below please, to settle a dispute! We only carry authorised copies of documents and not the originals apart from ITV inspection reports

Permiso de Circulacion
However we have a photocopy of a white one with the Jefatura de Trafico stamp on it and only one bar code but also a green book type one with two bar codes on it with no Trafico stamp. We cannot find the white original but always understood the green book with two bar codes was sufficient?

Ficha Tecnica
Of vehicle - but do you also need to have a copy of the back page showing dates and stamps of ITV inspections - or is the original ITV inspection report duly stamped sufficient?

Passport and NIE

Proof of current insurance paid

Proof car tax paid

Is this everything? Or is there anything else required?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: ???WHICH DOCUMENTS TO CARRY IN THE CAR AT ALL TIMES

Postby julian » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 pm

driving licence

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Jool wrote:
Passport and NIE

Proof car tax paid

I
A national identity document must be carried by you in person to prove who you are irrespective of whether or not you are in a car.

Assuming we are talking about a Spanish registered vehicle.

My understanding is that it is no longer a requirement to carry the proof of current insurance paid asall the information is held on a central database.
When I was stopped the policeman phoned in to confirm I was insured. He didn't have his hand held computer with him.

No need for the proof of car tax paid.
This is only of interest to your local town hall, to whom you pay the tax.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Yes its a spanish reg vehicle - driving licence always with me but not left in the car, so what about the ITV stamps on back of permiso de circulacion then? Is that required or is the stamped ITV inspection form sufficient?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Apart from documents needed, you must also have a spare set of bulbs, spare tyre, tools (for changing bulbs or tyre), two warning triangles, first-aid kit and a reflective vest. Also remember that if you wear glasses you must also carry a spare pair in the car.
Dave

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:03 pm

if the car isn´t big enough to carry everything a trailer can be used, but you´ll need to then also carry the documents for the trailer

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Jool wrote:Yes its a spanish reg vehicle - driving licence always with me but not left in the car, so what about the ITV stamps on back of permiso de circulacion then? Is that required or is the stamped ITV inspection form sufficient?
You must have the stamps on the document.

A friend was fined when the ITV station had omitted to stamp the document even though they had issued the windscreen sticker which was correctly displayed.

Sis

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Jool wrote:Yes its a spanish reg vehicle - driving licence always with me but not left in the car, so what about the ITV stamps on back of permiso de circulacion then? Is that required or is the stamped ITV inspection form sufficient?
My stamps are on the back of the Ficha Technica not the Permisio de Circulation, I think you'll find that this is the norm.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Mowser wrote:Apart from documents needed, you must also have a spare set of bulbs, spare tyre, tools (for changing bulbs or tyre), two warning triangles, first-aid kit and a reflective vest. Also remember that if you wear glasses you must also carry a spare pair in the car.
I'm not sure whether it's been introduced yet, but they're doing away with the need to carry spare bulbs as to the complexity of fitting replacement bulbs in modern vehicle lighting systems (Xenon etc)
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 pm

malagaman2005 wrote:
Mowser wrote:Apart from documents needed, you must also have a spare set of bulbs, spare tyre, tools (for changing bulbs or tyre), two warning triangles, first-aid kit and a reflective vest. Also remember that if you wear glasses you must also carry a spare pair in the car.
I'm not sure whether it's been introduced yet, but they're doing away with the need to carry spare bulbs as to the complexity of fitting replacement bulbs in modern vehicle lighting systems (Xenon etc)
I think it came in on 25th may 2010 when all the other reforms came in .
gerry, it's all right not carrying your ins. when you are stopped by traffico but when yo are stopped by the guardia in their beaten up old citroen xsara , or by the policia local, it's not a lot of use as they can't access the database.
Mowser you're correct in that you are required to carry a spare pair of glasses but you really need two spare pairs as if you break a pair & put on your spare pair you still can't legally drive as you don't have a usable spare pair!

I've never bothered with a passport ,too valuable & too much aggro if it's lost. They have to make do with my spanish licence which has nie number & photo on it. No one even queried it any time I've been stopped or when the scooter rider rode into me.
Todos somos Lorca.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:37 am

gus-lopez wrote: gerry, it's all right not carrying your ins. when you are stopped by traffico but when yo are stopped by the guardia in their beaten up old citroen xsara , or by the policia local, it's not a lot of use as they can't access the database.
That is why the policia local who stopped me used his phone to check with the database.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 am

gerryh wrote:
gus-lopez wrote: gerry, it's all right not carrying your ins. when you are stopped by traffico but when yo are stopped by the guardia in their beaten up old citroen xsara , or by the policia local, it's not a lot of use as they can't access the database.
That is why the policia local who stopped me used his phone to check with the database.

Cheers
Gerry
Your obviously more modern than us ! :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Mowser wrote:Apart from documents needed, you must also have .....and a reflective vest. ....
I thought it was a reflective vest for every person that the vehicle could carry (i.e a 5 seat car would need 5 vests etc), or has this now changed ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:56 pm

chrissiehope wrote:
Mowser wrote: I thought it was a reflective vest for every person that the vehicle could carry (i.e a 5 seat car would need 5 vests etc), or has this now changed ?
I thought it was a reflective vest for anybody who gets out of the vehicle?
Hope it is because, in theory, one of my vehicles is a 7 seater.
Normally only one or two of us in it. I carry 2 vests.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:55 pm

I assumed the vest was to be able to be seen if anyone was out of the car changing a wheel or whatever. Then again, if there was an accident and all passengers had to leave the vehicle, would all passengers also need a vest? I don't know.

If vests are needed for everyone, I trust that 56 vests will be provided for bus journeys.
Dave

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Mowser wrote:I assumed the vest was to be able to be seen if anyone was out of the car changing a wheel or whatever. Then again, if there was an accident and all passengers had to leave the vehicle, would all passengers also need a vest? I don't know.

If vests are needed for everyone, I trust that 56 vests will be provided for bus journeys.
Yes, it 's a vest for everyone who gets out. If you've broken down you're all meant to clear the vehicle behind the barrier same as the UK.
Todos somos Lorca.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:14 am

Mowser wrote:I assumed the vest was to be able to be seen if anyone was out of the car changing a wheel or whatever.
I was told by a gruista who once came to rescue me that it is actually against the law to change a wheel by the side of the road...even for a "simple" puncture you are supposed to call out a grua... :?:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 am

Haven't heard that one. Maybe the grua guy was touting for business.
Dave

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:38 am

Hillybilly mentioned that....''I was told by a gruista who once came to rescue me that it is actually against the law to change a wheel by the side of the road...even for a "simple" puncture you are supposed to call out a grua...''

From memory..True if on a motorway or autovia...

Regards,
Gordon..

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 am

Jool wrote:Can anyone provide a definitive list of precisely what is required with answers to specific questions below please, to settle a dispute! We only carry authorised copies of documents and not the originals apart from ITV inspection reports

Permiso de Circulacion
However we have a photocopy of a white one with the Jefatura de Trafico stamp on it and only one bar code but also a green book type one with two bar codes on it with no Trafico stamp. We cannot find the white original but always understood the green book with two bar codes was sufficient?

Ficha Tecnica
Of vehicle - but do you also need to have a copy of the back page showing dates and stamps of ITV inspections - or is the original ITV inspection report duly stamped sufficient?

Passport and NIE

Proof car tax paid

Is this everything? Or is there anything else required?

i carry the originals of everything. and my passport at all times.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.