Are the traffic police clamping down?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Are the traffic police clamping down?

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 am

Are the traffic police clamping down? There were a lot of rules that seemed to be ignored in the past which are now being enforced more rigourously.

More people are apparently being done for using mobile phones while driving. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

A friend of ours has just been fined €150 for driving whilst wearing flip flops. Shoes worn whilst driving must have a strap at the back to prevent them coming off. I can understand that, I couldn't drive in flip flops if I wanted to, but €150 seems a bit excessive. At least it will stop her doing it again.

Didn't realise that it was illegal to drive topless. I assumed it to be the case for women but it seems that law applies to men as well. They could have a field day on the roads coming away from the beaches.

It also seems it is illegal to wear sunglasses in a tunnel. That also makes sense as it helps to be able to see where you are going, but I didn't realise that you could be done for it if you didn't take them off in a short tunnel.

Any other unusual, or not well known, rules we should be aware of?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Are the traffic police clamping down?

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:47 am

It's just Trafico making up the rules as they go along. There are no rules that specifically cover the situations you mention. However there are some general rules about negligent driving that could be interpreted to mean that you should not drive in unsuitable clothing or wear sunglasses in tunnels.

There are now three levels of fines. Up to €100 for minor offences, €200 for serious offences and €500 for very serious offences. There is now a 50% discount if the fine is paid within 20 days.

The new law, in Spanish, is here. Arcticulo 65 is the section on offences.

http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2009/11/24/p ... -18732.pdf

Most insurance policies have optional cover for the management of traffic fines. They will appeal against the fine on your behalf and in most cases Trafico will back off as they haven't got the time to deal with it. It won't work for obvious offences like speeding or drinking but when these "invented" offences crop up it is probably going to get you off.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:28 pm

It would be good to see a massive clampdown on non Spanish registered cars, of all nationalities, not just GB.

Particularly on the Eastern CDS where there are SO MANY. I pass 6 on a 2k track alone.

How do I tell an illegal German car, there are hundreds locally.

Surely this is a better 'earner' than sunglasses in a tunnel.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:41 pm

may be a better earner but I think a driver wearing sunglasses in a tunnel is more dangerous than a german plated car.
Last edited by julian on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm

I had to check just now with the arch villain that is my wife who cannot go into the open without sunnies, trying to catch her out. "I lift them" says she "I can't see in the tunnels with them down"

My previous post was a calculated one.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Seeing as OH reckons I'm crap at multi tasking I'd best avoid Spanish Tunnels on our next trip over there.

Dropping my speed, removing my shades and switching my luz on............not a chance :roll:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Lyric wrote:It would be good to see a massive clampdown on non Spanish registered cars, of all nationalities, not just GB.

Particularly on the Eastern CDS where there are SO MANY. I pass 6 on a 2k track alone.

How do I tell an illegal German car, there are hundreds locally.

Surely this is a better 'earner' than sunglasses in a tunnel.
It is July - I would be pretty worried for the tourist industry if there weren't hundreds of foreign plated cars around in July/August :roll:
Ann

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:59 pm

annfoto wrote: It is July - I would be pretty worried for the tourist industry if there weren't hundreds of foreign plated cars around in July/August :roll:
That is true but when you see the same foreign plated cars here all year it is slightly different.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:34 am

Campo Steve wrote:Are the traffic police clamping down? There were a lot of rules that seemed to be ignored in the past which are now being enforced more rigourously.

More people are apparently being done for using mobile phones while driving. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

A friend of ours has just been fined €150 for driving whilst wearing flip flops. Shoes worn whilst driving must have a strap at the back to prevent them coming off. I can understand that, I couldn't drive in flip flops if I wanted to, but €150 seems a bit excessive. At least it will stop her doing it again.

Didn't realise that it was illegal to drive topless. I assumed it to be the case for women but it seems that law applies to men as well. They could have a field day on the roads coming away from the beaches.

It also seems it is illegal to wear sunglasses in a tunnel. That also makes sense as it helps to be able to see where you are going, but I didn't realise that you could be done for it if you didn't take them off in a short tunnel.

Any other unusual, or not well known, rules we should be aware of?

its nothing to do with it.

its about money.

most small offences are a civil matter, ie: the money goes straight to the town hall. ie; parking tickets etc.

they have no money, they are trying to bring it in any way they can.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:11 am

I don't think we are talking about the local police here - they are certainly not authorised to issue fines of this sort. Parking fines yes but driving offences on the motorways - no.

The town halls may have run out of money but so has central government!

Sid

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:00 pm

If our local townhall gave people multas for parking where they shouldn't they would be able to raise a fortune, nobody bothers about disabled, crossings, yellow lines, parking on the side of roundabouts, its a free for all, and it does drive me bonkers at times :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Lots of drink driving offences around the Antequera area, even in the mornings the Guardia have been out stopping every car on a section of road and breathalising the drivers, seems a big campaign, puts a stop to the traditional Anis or Brandy for brecky, and of course it can still be in the blood from the night before, wheres all the fun gone ??? :crazy:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:06 pm

Has it also stopped the boys from Trafico having their usual morning solysombra/brandy etc? :wink:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:14 pm

who monitors the monitors? ;)

i think that they should crack down over here. too many people getting away with illegal cars for far too long.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:14 am

I read that the Trafico boys have been docked their bonuses, because they have not been issuing enough tickets - apparently there is a points system for mobiles whilst driving, no seat belt and so on, and they are targetted to get 20 points per week to get a 20€ bonus?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:37 am

peteroldracer wrote:I read that the Trafico boys have been docked their bonuses, because they have not been issuing enough tickets - apparently there is a points system for mobiles whilst driving, no seat belt and so on, and they are targetted to get 20 points per week to get a 20€ bonus?
Where did you read this stuff - the Beano?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:55 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/world ... spain.html

Unless you consider the New York Times a comic?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:04 pm

peteroldracer wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/world ... spain.html

Unless you consider the New York Times a comic?
Or ABC? Hardly a comic! 70% less fines in June than the previous year.
http://www.abc.es/20100722/espana/multa ... 20416.html
They complain of being pressurised to see that the number of fines increases
Por ello, aseguran que se están produciendo «presiones» sobre los jefes de los subsectores de Tráfico para que el número de denuncias suba.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:49 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I read that the Trafico boys have been docked their bonuses, because they have not been issuing enough tickets - apparently there is a points system for mobiles whilst driving, no seat belt and so on, and they are targetted to get 20 points per week to get a 20€ bonus?
That New York Times link you posted, although on the same subject, does not say anything like what you posted above.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, or weblink, come to that! :roll:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:14 pm

It is a demonstration of my new policy - always give my people something to bitch about. It is to make up for the absence of the twit from Marbella.