looking for camper van (VW or similar)

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
janhasselman

looking for camper van (VW or similar)

Postby janhasselman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Hello. We are a family of 4 from the US that is currently living in Granada for a few months. We are interested in buying an older VW camping van, or something similar. (Not an RV but one of the regular size vans that can be used for camping, sometimes called a VW "California"). Any suggestions for where to look? We have searched secundomano.es and even posted something on it, but come up short so far. Renting one for the duration of our trip (through July 2013) is also an option. Thanks for any ideas!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: looking for camper van (VW or similar)

Postby Julie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

There is a company that sells and buy back moto rhomes in order to keep the price down and long term rental is expensive, but I no longer have the web address, you may find it if you Google a little or look on motorhomefacts.co.uk website, sometimes vans for sale in Spain on there.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Speak to Dave on the caveliving forum. He often sells them.
Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com

EdX20
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby EdX20 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:53 pm

If you take a look on eBay UK and then compare with Spain prices you'll see that it is FAR cheaper to buy caravans, etc from there. I'm not sure why this is, but it applies to cars, too. It might not be an option for you, but just a friendly tip. Oh but be aware that some UK motorhomes cannot be transferred to Spanish reg because of things like the door being on the wrong side and visibility issues at awkward junctions. But I suppose a lil' ol' VW might be ok :)