Spanish reg quad bike to UK & change plates

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Spanish reg quad bike to UK & change plates

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Has anyone sent a Spanish reg. quad bike to UK and changed it to UK plates?

Does anyone have any idea how much it might cost to matriculate it in the UK and process to do it.

Havnt been able to sell it Spain so sent to UK.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Colinm
Resident

Re: Spanish reg quad bike to UK & change plates

Postby Colinm » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 pm

There are different regulation between Spain and Uk for registration of a quad.
I presume that it does not have a Certificate of Conformity as a 'Quadricycle', therefore it will have to undergo a Single Vehicle Type Approval test in the UK. the regulations to register in the UK are much stricter than in Spain.

I would suggest that you contact a dealer/distributor for the quad in the UK to confirm if that model can be registered.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Colinm wrote:There are different regulation between Spain and Uk for registration of a quad.
I presume that it does not have a Certificate of Conformity as a 'Quadricycle', therefore it will have to undergo a Single Vehicle Type Approval test in the UK. the regulations to register in the UK are much stricter than in Spain.

I would suggest that you contact a dealer/distributor for the quad in the UK to confirm if that model can be registered.

Fortunately just discovered that no need for the test as manufacturer provides a Certificate of Conformity at a cost of £25.
Just need to find a company to insure it on the chassis number (cant imagine that is going to be easy either).
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Bongtrees,
Try Carol Nash or Footman James for VIN number insurance , will probably want the Reg number when you get one...........
Another.......... Frank Pickles Insurance
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks for those Enrique...... was amazingly easier to insure the quad on the VIN number than it was with a car last year.