Riding 125cc on Full Car Licence

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
malagaman2005
Resident

Riding 125cc on Full Car Licence

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Can anyone please supply a direct link to driving licence categories in Spain. I need a definitive answer regarding permission to ride a up to 125cc on a class B (full car licence) having held it for a minimum of 3 yrs without have to pass a separate test. I have trawled through the DGT website and found nothing appertaining to this. Thanks in advance.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Riding 125cc on Full Car Licence

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Here you go:-

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_dato ... t1.html#a5

Articulo 6.4

El permiso de las clases B, B + E, C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D y D + E no autoriza a conducir motocicletas de dos ruedas, con o sin sidecar. Las personas que estén en posesión del permiso de la clase B en vigor, con una antigüedad superior a tres años, podrán conducir dentro del territorio nacional las motocicletas cuya conducción autoriza el permiso de la clase A1

A1:

Motocicletas ligeras sin sidecar con una cilindrada máxima de 125 centímetros cúbicos, una potencia máxima de 11 kilovatios KW y una relación potencia/peso no superior a 0,11 kilovatios/kilogramo (KW/Kg.).

Sid

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Brilliant, just what I needed, thanks a lot Sid :thumbup:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Be careful which model you get - for example the Rieju 125SM puts out 15CV thus taking you over the class A1. The dealer & manufacturer websites are a bit shy about the specifications of some models!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Lets be honest are the Polcia/Gaurdia ever going to be checking on that especially if it isn't shown on the Ficha Tecnica if the manufacturers aren't keen to share the information? I think not :wtf: but a valid point nevertheless :thumbup:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Peter specifically mentioned the manufacturer's websites. As the Certificate of Conformity will give the maximum power then this will probably be available on the Ficha Tecnica
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:12 am

The poor website info does not help anyone trying to make up a shortlist - I only pointed it out so that one doesn't just assume that any 125 is allowed.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for all your replies, I've passed the info onto a friend who requested it to let him make an informed decision. :thumbup:

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:16 pm

With the passage of time the above link from El Cid s broken. Can anyone supply a functioning link?

Also if possible definitive proof that the 3 year rule applies to a foreign licence.

What I really want to know is if I hold a class B Licence from another EU country (not the UK) since say 1997 last renewed 2 years ago in home country and now living in Spain with my licence not exchanged for a Spanish licence. Does that licence entitle me to ride a 125cc (subject to power restrictions etc)?

Can anyone supply a link to an official source confirming I can ride a 125?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi Paddy Pumkin,
You may find your answer in this Article.......... link

https://noticias.juridicas.com/base_dat ... 09.t1.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:38 pm

Thanks Enrique

I think I am out of luck, (see below excerpts) it does say 3 years (with Class B) allows you to ride an A1 (125cc more or less) but it only mentions in national territory. So a Spanish licence with Class B doesn't entitle me to ride a 125cc in the UK. Therefore I can only assume that a foreign licence in Spain doesn't entitle me to ride a 125cc unless that licence explictly states I can ride a 125cc,

If I switch to a Spanish licence will the valid from dates (Column 10 on the back) show the same date as my original foreign licence? i.e the date I originally passed my test? I have swapped once before in other countries and the licence still shows that date I passed my original test....can anyone tell me from experience if it is the same in Spain?

Article 4
Se podrán conducir dentro del territorio nacional con el permiso de la clase B, con una antigüedad superior a tres años, las motocicletas cuya conducción autoriza el permiso de la clase A1. En el caso de que el permiso de la clase B se encuentre sometido a adaptaciones, restricciones u otras limitaciones en personas, vehículos o de circulación, se estará a lo dispuesto en el artículo 5.7, segundo párrafo.

Article 7
En el supuesto de que el permiso de la clase B en vigor, con una antigüedad superior a tres años, esté sometido a adaptaciones, restricciones u otras limitaciones en personas, vehículos o de circulación, para poder conducir dentro del territorio nacional las motocicletas cuya conducción autoriza el permiso de la clase A1, deberán hacerse constar previamente por la Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico en el permiso las adaptaciones o restricciones que correspondan.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Yeah its the same dates on the back as when you originally passed

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Great Thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:13 am

cant us old boys ride a 125 on our UK licences without taking a test. I used to be able to drive a 7.5 tonne lorry, tow a trailer and drive a bus as long as no one was paying on my licence. I haven’t checked for years on restrictions as I only drive a car and the odd hire van in uk.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:24 am

On a UK car licence you can ride a 50cc only. The 125cc option is only for Spanish licences.

Sid

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:42 am

UK Licence in the UK
If you gained your UK driving licence before Feb 2001 you can ride a moped up to 50cc no more than a speed of 50km/h. Without having to have taken your CBT or other tests. As questioned above, if you have a full car driving licence you can ride a motorcycle up to 125cc, but you need to have completed your CBT first.( CBT is Compulsory Basic Training Test)

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:12 pm

costakid wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:13 am cant us old boys ride a 125 on our UK licences without taking a test. I used to be able to drive a 7.5 tonne lorry, tow a trailer and drive a bus as long as no one was paying on my licence. I haven’t checked for years on restrictions as I only drive a car and the odd hire van in uk.
Again, UK Regs today
Drivers who passed their category B (car) driving test before 1997 have grandfather rights and are able to drive a 7.5-tonne truck without taking another test. They will have the C1 entitlement on their licence, which covers vehicles from 3.5- 7.5-tonnes GVW

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:26 pm

legally in the past you could ride bigger bikes but I know the rules have changed. Not many years ago I hired a 7.5 tonne and have driven PSV vehicles in the past. I guess the Law has changed now but you used to be able to drive a tractor unit as long as the 5th wheel coupling was removed. I passed in 1977 so things have changed.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:58 pm

country boy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:12 pm Again, UK Regs today
Drivers who passed their category B (car) driving test before 1997 have grandfather rights and are able to drive a 7.5-tonne truck without taking another test. They will have the C1 entitlement on their licence, which covers vehicles from 3.5- 7.5-tonnes GVW
Annoyingly, it's something like July 1997 - I know this because I passed mine in August 1997 and remember I just missed out on all the extra categories!

When I changed to my Spanish licence a couple of years ago, they stripped out all the moped and provisional motorcycle categories I had on my old British licence; presumably as these are just assumed to be within the B licence in Spain. It didn't seem worth arguing over so I said nothing, and I haven't tried, but I imagine this would cause a British hire company or police officer to think I'm not allowed to drive those.

Also, just out of interest: when I lived in France, I took a 2 hour test that let me drive 125cc bikes with a car licence. It was limited to France only and designed as a bridging measure to cover people who had driven 125s on a car licence but suddenly lost the right to when France reformed its licencing categories. It's just a bit of paper with my photo on, and the 'test' involved driving around town with a driving instructor on the back of the bike while he did errands! I wonder, if Spain follows the same reform, if they'll introduce something similar.