ITV scooter pass with flat battery?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

ITV scooter pass with flat battery?

Postby fearless nige » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:18 pm

I have an ITV appointment tomorrow for my Yamaha Neos 100 scooter which will start with a kick but which does not have enough power to work the electric start. Can anybody tell me if that alone is an automatic fail? Thanks.

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: ITV scooter pass with flat battery?

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:27 pm

To be honest, I don't know. I have been through the ITV twice with my Scooter and the engine has been running throughout the entire test, so an educated guess would say you should be okay.

But remember the old MOT conundrum with the spare wheel. You don't need one but if you have one it has to be okay!

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:58 pm

The lack of an electric start will not be an issue, however it sounds like the bike will have other problems like have sufficient power to do the light test, horn etc.

With my bikes they run it for a long time, but the test seems to be broken up into three parts and i always have to wait until the next section.

For my 125cc they get me to ride it, thank god for the 250cc the do it as the brake test can be a bit hairy the first time you do it!!!

a

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 pm

The brake test is no problem!

Just do as I do and act the Brit abroad and the tester will do it for you. Yes, I have no pride !!...

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 am

and miss out on almost being catapulted into the wall!!!!

I do it with the car as well the exact same, when he says brake Im so scarred that the brakes are not sufficient (which of course they are) that I press down as much as i can (slowly) to ensure that I stop!!!

thank god its every 2 years for the bike!!!

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:55 am

I didn't want to risk it without a new battery so I changed it - the horn sounded pathetic and would have failed. For info - in my neck of the woods in Torrox, a new battery for the average scooter (Yamaha Noes 100) is 25 euros - don't get ripped off!!!! I've paid over 50 previously.