Oil and Spark Plug Change

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Acen
Resident

Oil and Spark Plug Change

Postby Acen » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:13 am

Quick question if i may.

How often should you change the spark plugs and oil in your car???

I ask because I have found in spain you pay for what you actually ask for, so its up to you specifically request it.

thanks

a

knowal
Resident

Re: Oil and Spark Plug Change

Postby knowal » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:10 am

The oil should be changed according to the service interval of the car, often every 10,000 km, sometimes 15,000 km, but check the manual. If the car does not do that distance in one year, then every year is recommended.

Spark plugs will last longer, mine were failing in an old Saxo which had done 35,000 km but they were more than 10 years old!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 am

Hi,
Manufactures have pushed the Service intervals out over recent years.
So depending on the age of your car and what you use it for (and where) and how long do you want to keep it will play on "your" service intervals.

I work on a yearly service ie all filters and oil and for petrol engine spark plug change at 36,000miles.
Stick with Cam belt change 4-5 years.

In the dusty environment where I stay in Spain its every six months on an ageing Kangoo that's mainly used for short journeys .

I tend to keep my cars for ever and do the work myself so the above may not suit you pocket....
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:04 am

Personally I do my oil/filter change (diesel) about every 5-6K as opposed to the manufacturers guidance of 12k. My thinking being that due to the extreme heat and dusty conditions over here, spending 30€ ish twice a year is far better than forking out megabucks on an engine rebuild should it all go belly up !!
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:41 am

I think the most important part of getting your car serviced (no matter where you live) is to make sure the brakes are up to scratch. Not just the pads/shoes but also the brake fluid, tubes, pipes and hoses.
Then when you ask your garage to check them (provided you have one that you'd trust to do a proper job) have them look at the oil & filters at the same time.