ex pat resident in spain driving on a uk license

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

ex pat resident in spain driving on a uk license

Postby janieb » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:16 pm

I live in Spain & have a Spanish driving licence, but my friend who has lived here 3 years drives on her English licence which expires in 2015 & is still registered at her old English address!! I am not sure this is legal, but she says it is fine and will be ok until it expires & she will then change it to a Spanish one! Can anyone clarify this?

gus-lopez
Resident

Re: ex pat resident in spain driving on a uk license

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:38 pm

She is correct.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:16 pm

The address is not an issue. You do need to have a medical after 2 years of residency to comply with the law.

Read the FAQ at http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtop ... 42&t=27787

Sid

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Doesn't the need for a medical depend on age rather than length of residency?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:28 pm

masterob wrote:Doesn't the need for a medical depend on age rather than length of residency?
No. Everyone who has a Spanish licence has one when they first apply and on every renewal irrespective of their age. The law says that foreigners who are Spanish residents who wish to keep their licence must abide by the same rules.

In the UK medicals are not required at any age (ludicrous in my opinion) but that doesn't mean that the same rules apply when you wish to drive in Spain.

Sid

CapnBilly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CapnBilly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Cid, I know we've discussed this before, but i'm not clear where the two years comes from. I cannot see anything in the legislation which says this, just that you are subject to this when you are normally resident. I know the previous legislation said it had to be done within 4 years, but this was left out of the last change. The only conclusion I came to was that that it was therefore needed after you became normally resident.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:39 pm

The original , spanish, assumption was that if you had a foreign licence they assumed you had a medical to obtain it ,like the spanish do. It never occurred to them that other countries have no requirement ! lol.
You still need a medical to back up a foreign licence until you change it on expiry of photo.
Todos somos Lorca.

CapnBilly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CapnBilly » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:02 pm

It's always seemed ludicrous to me that in the UK, you just have to read a number plate when you take your test, and then nothing else. i also think its pretty poor EU legislation that its optional for a standard car.

There's always been a lot of confusion about the need for a medical if you retain your UK licence, but as I said earlier, the only conclusion I can see is that you need to take the medical when you become normally resident in Spain, which is defined as 185 days in a calendar year.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:54 pm

CapnBilly wrote:Cid, I know we've discussed this before, but i'm not clear where the two years comes from. I cannot see anything in the legislation which says this, just that you are subject to this when you are normally resident. I know the previous legislation said it had to be done within 4 years, but this was left out of the last change. The only conclusion I came to was that that it was therefore needed after you became normally resident.
Yes you are right - it is still not clear.

The recent additions to the law with regard to foreign licences that do not have an expiry date refer to a 2 year period after which you must exchange them but for the usual 10 year UK licence it is still not clear.

It makes sense for anyone who (for whatever strange reason) insists on driving with a UK license in Spain should at least have a medical to ensure that they do not fall foul of the (very vague) law.

What is really strange is that the UK still do not have a mandatory medical and when you get to 70 you just sign a form that says that (you think) you are still capable of driving. But then I suppose that any other rules would be deemed to be against your "uman rights" to drive if you choose to do so!

Sid
(who has to have his licence renewal medical this week)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 pm

At the moment, although we have signed on the register of foreigners, OH had his UK licence renewed renewed recently just before his 70th birthday (and of course, before we got 'residencia'). He is planning to change it to a Spanish license soon but in the meantime, does he need a medical to drive on the UK license?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:05 pm

IreneD wrote:At the moment, although we have signed on the register of foreigners, OH had his UK licence renewed renewed recently just before his 70th birthday (and of course, before we got 'residencia'). He is planning to change it to a Spanish license soon but in the meantime, does he need a medical to drive on the UK license?

To cover all potential problems with the GuardiaTraffico -yes. Much better to exchange his licence.

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks, Sid :)

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:04 am

El Cid wrote;

What is really strange is that the UK still do not have a mandatory medical and when you get to 70 you just sign a form that says that (you think) you are still capable of driving.
I think it is only marginal better in Spain. I would hardly call the eye test and a "game" on an ancient black & white computer a proper "medical". The only good thing about it (apart from passing it) was that they took the photo and processed it directly with the Traffic people.

janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby janieb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:12 am

Thanks everyone for all your great advice! :thumbup:

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:34 am

Have the medical rules changed? I changed my licence from UK to Spanish a couple of years ago and they didn't require one.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:47 am

Superplonk wrote:Have the medical rules changed? I changed my licence from UK to Spanish a couple of years ago and they didn't require one.

When you exchange your license it is assumed that, as it is a valid licence, that you conformed to any medical requirements when the licence was issued or last renewed. As a result a medical is not normally required until you have to renew your new Spanish licence.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:49 pm

masterob wrote:
El Cid wrote;

What is really strange is that the UK still do not have a mandatory medical and when you get to 70 you just sign a form that says that (you think) you are still capable of driving.
I think it is only marginal better in Spain. I would hardly call the eye test and a "game" on an ancient black & white computer a proper "medical". The only good thing about it (apart from passing it) was that they took the photo and processed it directly with the Traffic people.
Exactly the word "medical" is stretching it :lolno: It's a joke.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:20 pm

katy wrote:
Exactly the word "medical" is stretching it :lolno: It's a joke.
Yes, hardly a full medical but at least they do a proper eye test. Bad sight is probably the worst defect you can have while driving and at least it prevents the worst examples getting behind a wheel.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Yes perhaps they should make everyone send in an eye test periodically. Nevertheless, UK road deaths are about half those of Spain although I suppose there are other factors to consider.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:46 am

El Cid wrote: What is really strange is that the UK still do not have a mandatory medical and when you get to 70 you just sign a form that says that (you think) you are still capable of driving. But then I suppose that any other rules would be deemed to be against your "uman rights" to drive if you choose to do so!

Sid
I don't find it strange at all. Isn't that because British people have a cultural sense of fair play and will stop driving when either advised by their doctor, or they realise that something is wrong?

Spain need a law and medical checks because of their different culture and mindset. It also keeps people in jobs.