ITV rules re tyres

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: ITV rules re tyres

Postby spanish_lad » Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Unless there have been any changes recently, the rules state that tyres on the same axle shouod be the same brand. All tyres should be whats on the paperwork or better, they cant be lower rated.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu May 14, 2020 6:26 pm

I do know that tyres have the date of manufacture embossed on them, and the tyre manufacturers recommend that even in storage they age, and should be replaced when they are 4 or 5 years old. As ever what passes or fails an ITV depends the guy or gal doing the inspection, and with them currently not checking anything inside the car (so they do not enter a hazard zone) thought they could be a bit more pedantic on other items easily seen from outside!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu May 14, 2020 6:30 pm

All tyres from a certain year onwards have the date of manufacture on them, in the form of 4 numbers in an oval. The first two is the week and the second two is the year. There is no date of expiry on tyres, but if they are in poor condition they will probably fail. ie: if they are cracked in the treads, or on the side walls etc.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am

Be aware, be very aware.
Many businesses have suffered because of the lockdown but be aware that some may try to make up the defecit by sharp practice and deception. I had my car serviced at Labasa Toyota in Cartagena, prior to its first ITV @ 4 years old. The service reception rang me an hour into the wait (I had to leave the premises during the wait as Covid precaution) and told me that the tyres were out of date and must be changed or the car would fail the ITV. Despite my protests that the car had done less than 27,000kms from new, they insisted, and gave me a "special price" of 300 Euors for the four.
I just wanted to get the job done and get home to relative safety (diabetic, aged 74, COPD) so gave in. Later I researched and asked Bridgestone how long tyres could be, to be told they were warranted for 5 years, another tyre dealer said they had a 7 year shelf life. I protested to labasa but have got nowhere, they will not admit they lied about the law, say they only look after the customers' interests and so on, then finally said that I could come back, have the original tyres refitted and my money refunded - never mind that this would mean me making a 50km trip in these hazardous times, and that meant they were happy to send me on my way with tyres they had said were dangerous!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 20, 2020 2:31 pm

Ask for the complaints book. And take your business else where

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm

I am not going to make a hazardous trip into town to fill in the book. I have told them they have made €300 and lost a customer, for service and new car.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed May 20, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm not sure I'd want them swapped back again anyway, could be damaged during removal/refit.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 20, 2020 7:00 pm

I never use main dealers. By law you don't have to to keep the warranty going. The first service on our new Suzuki was 77€ completed by our usual garage using all the correct spec parts and oil. A friend with the same car was charged 300€ by the main dealer. My FIL always has used main dealers and they always rip him off doing this sort of unnecessary work that you describe Peter, despite him doing only about a thousand miles a year.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 20, 2020 7:05 pm

There is no problem by using an alternative to the main dealer, but if you have a major out of warranty problem, it is far more likely that the main dealer who you have used during the warranty period will accept an out of warranty claim supported by the manufacturer.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 20, 2020 7:30 pm

And the down side of a hybrid is the horrendous cost of batteries should they need replacing. Paying more for an annual service to get fifteen years cover is worth it.