Obtaining a Spanish Driving Licence

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Terryd1963
Andalucia.com Amigo

Obtaining a Spanish Driving Licence

Postby Terryd1963 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:17 am

Hola,
I was just wondering if any of you Gurus out in Spain know the situation with Spanish driving licences. The reason I ask is that in April I intend to spend 180 days in Spain in two tranches of 3 months I.E April to July and September to December and I will be bringing my U.K car over on the tunnel and driving down to Malaga. I am concerned with rumours that if you intend to spend more than 90 days in Spain you need a Spanish licence, but to obtain a Spanish licence you need to be a resident? at present I believe it is easy to obtain a Spanish licence by taking your EU one to Trafico and they will exchange, however I understand that next year the regulations change and you will need to sit a test similar to U.k. I would have thought that an E.U licence fits all E.U countries? any comments much appreciated Terry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving Licence

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:26 am

Most of what you have been told is incorrect, apart from the fact that it is easy to exchange your licence should you wish to do so - you do not have to.

It is all explained in the FAQ section here

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtop ... 42&t=27787

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:29 am

If your main country of residence is the UK and you have an address there, you do not need to change your driving licence to a Spanish one.
Even if people move to Spain and become residents, they still do not HAVE to change to a Spanish licence until it runs out.

However, if you apply to be included on the register of EU residents in Spain, you should not, theoretically be driving a UK registered car which you own.
It's all a bit crazy, isn't it.

My advice, if staying no longer than 90 days is not to apply for residency, as it will be much more straightforward, driving wise if you are a non-resident.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Terryd1963,
If you're a tourist to Spain and keep to the rules as you look to be doing then you're ok.

You used to have to register for staying over 90 days and get the Green Form....might have changed now.. :?:

Carry your car documents and return ferry ticket ,and as you are staying for a fair time a spare pair of headlight converters, have know them to wash of in a storm.... :shock:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Terryd1963
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Terryd1963 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:35 am

Many thanks to you all.

Cheers

Terry