green card

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
janieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

green card

Postby janieb » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:53 am

I am driving back to England in a couple of months & was wondering if my Spanish insurance will cover me for all the usual things plus breakdown, roadside assistance etc. Some of my friends have mentioned a "green card" anyone any info?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: green card

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 am

Hi janieb,
Have a read on your policy or ask insurance company to be sure of your cover.

If mine is typical, then you're good to go no green card as "covered in any European country and those bordering the Mediterranean sea."

Further info............should you think to venture in to Boris's Fiefdom you will need to register for the The Low Emission Zone (LEZ) as the NPR cameras can only tell its a foreign vehicle .

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone

And don't think they can't trace you back to Spain.........they can......... :D ... If your documents are in order..... :angel:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:48 am

Put simply the "Green Card" is a certificate to confirm you hold vehicle insurance cover for the countries listed in it. It doesn't cover breakdown assistance per se and you need to check your policy regarding those aspects.

I'm insured with Linea Directa and they automatically issue it as part of the renewal process. They do so because I asked at the start as it saves any potential hassle while driving (in my case) through France and in the UK.

Ask your Insurer for one - mine is merely a green coloured area of the Insurance certificate.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:58 am

From the AA ..............

"Historically, British drivers needed a certificate that provided proof of their car insurance when travelling overseas. Known as a 'Green Card' (even though it isn't actually green), this certificate has fallen out of use since the advent of the single market in the early 1990s.

That's because most EU countries agreed that it is no longer necessary to carry one. However, some countries do still demand one – for example Romania, Malta, Andorra and Poland, while it is advisable (even though it's not legally required) to carry one in some parts of Italy.

Most insurers will provide a leaflet in several languages that confirms you are insured and you should produce this, along with your insurance certificate, if asked for it or if you have an accident."

On the back of my UK insurance certificate it has in the major European languages the cover .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:04 pm

My insurer will still supply a complete A4 green sheet , stamped dated, etc; every year , even though under EU rules they aren't necessary.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:23 pm

gus-lopez wrote:My insurer will still supply a complete A4 green sheet , stamped dated, etc; every year , even though under EU rules they aren't necessary.

That is because you might choose to travel outside the EU.

Linea Directa always give me one free, but I understand that some companies will charge for one if you really need one.

Sid