Fuel prices

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Fuel prices

Postby olive » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:55 am

I am barrelling around the Uk for family reasons in a variety of hire cars.

Can anyone explain why unleaded fuel is so much more than diesl in Spain compared with the UK? here it is about 1.25 unleaded and 1.29 diesel. Exclude the exchange rate.

Is it just a question of volumes ( i.e. more diesel vehicles in Spain)? or government tax levels?

I remember diesel in the UK being cheaper than unleaded years ago. Was that a ploy to get people buying diesel cars.?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Fuel prices

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Petrol is cheaper than diesel in Spain (about €0.03/liter), but it's the tax that makes the difference.

Petrol is taxed at €0.71/litre and diesel is taxed at €0.60/litre.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:00 pm

Basically the answer for the UK is yes. more diesel cars = higher price.
In Spain 82% of all vehicles are diesel.
I was surprised recently in the UK ,in how many people have gone back to petrol.
cid the difference between petrol , the cheapest one , & diesel is far more than 3c up here.More like 12-15c as the dearest octane petrol was 27c dearer yesterday I noticed.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:09 pm

gus-lopez wrote:
cid the difference between petrol , the cheapest one , & diesel is far more than 3c up here.More like 12-15c as the dearest octane petrol was 27c dearer yesterday I noticed.

If you re-read my post you will see I was talking about the basic price of fuel before taxes and the difference is only 3 cents in the favour of petrol.

After taxes and vat the price of petrol may be higher than diesel by about 10 cents depending where you buy it.

The price of 98 octane petrol is irrelevant as almost no new cars need it which is why it is so expensive.

Sid