UK Driving License Changes

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Sayalonga_Dan
Tourist

UK Driving License Changes

Postby Sayalonga_Dan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:44 pm

Apologies if this is a re-post, but I couldn't find anything on it...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... ce-changes
If you already hold a paper counterpart, after 8 June 2015 it will no longer have any legal status. You should destroy your paper counterpart after this date but you still need to keep your current photocard driving licence.
So here's my question: if I go ahead and destroy my paper counterpart as instructed, the next time I'm in Spain and get pulled over, are the police here all going to be aware of this?

Or are they just going to ask me where the rest of my license is?

Nimrod
Resident

Re: UK Driving License Changes

Postby Nimrod » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:19 pm

I doubt if the average Spanish plod knows the counterpart exists.
Has anyone everbeen asked fo r it.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:03 pm

?who is to know if you do not tear up that counterpart? if you feel more comfortable keeping it, then keep it!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 pm

I agree with Nimrod. They are unlikely to even know what it is. If you are a resident and still use a UK licence, that is more likely to upset them, even if you have the right to still hold one.

Sid

Sayalonga_Dan
Tourist

Postby Sayalonga_Dan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:47 am

Cheers guys.

I just didn't know how up-to-date they were on the British system.

We got stopped at a random checkpoint a while back, and they looked over everything, but my counterpart was in the folder with everything else anyway. I don't know if they'd have asked for it otherwise.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:22 am

All the Guardia are interested in is the expiry date and the classes you are entitled to drive. These are on your licence anyway.

Sid

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Sid is right ,my friend resident for 14 years was stopped for speeding.
Guardia noted he had a UK licence and advised him to get a Spanish one but took it no further.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:49 pm

If you change from a UK licence to a Spanish one they will ask for both plastic and counterpart at Trafico - or at least they did a few of months back when the OH changed hers.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:41 pm

I expect it could be problematic when hiring vehicles abroad. It will be necessary to get a one time pass code from the DVLA website that is valid for up to 72 hours. The code must be given to the hire company allowing them to check the driving history. So if anyone is picking up a hire car more than 72 hours into their holiday they will need computer access to apply for the code and use it before it runs out. I read an article that said the major car hire firms in Portugal know nothing of the new UK licence changes, so I expect Spain and many other countries will be the same. :think:

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Laslomas, I missed your location change. Why have you deserted Frigi?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:42 am

I hired a car last week on the Canaries and they never asked to see the paper part of the licence, just the plastic card.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 am

No other EU licenses show previous convictions and the hire companies don't seem to have a problem with that, so why should they need the paper bit. It might be different in the UK for UK license holders but they are happy to let other EU citizens hire without any evidence of convictions.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:53 pm

I know this is a bit off topic so apologies, but reading this thread just reminded me of this: I recently went into a local Movistar shop to get a duplicate SIM (replacement) card. I had my Spanish photo driving licence - which identifies me by my photo and has my NIE number on it. I was told this was not acceptable, and that I needed both my passport (which doesn't have my NIE number on it) and my residency paper (which doesn't identify me). But a Swedish chap before me in the queue had requested exactly the same thing (except that he was on PAYG) and only had to show his Swedish ID card. :shock: Why is a Spanish photo driving licence not acceptable as official ID - in Spain?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:18 pm

On several occasions I have offered both my old residence card which expired in 2007 and my current Spanish driving licence and the the option has always been for my expired residence card. Who knows what goes on in the minds of these people.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Miro, they were technically correct. The only legal form of ID is a passport or an ID card.

A Spanish DL is not officially acceptable as ID - a Swedish ID card is. If you sign a contract (any contract) then they must have your NIE number -a PAYG card is not a contract so identification is all that is needed.

That said, like Beachcomber, we always use our very old Residencia card for ID in most circumstances.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Seems a bit daft to me. Why did they bother changing driving licences to include a photo of the holder at all in that case, and does this mean that if you are stopped by the traffic police and asked for your documentation, you have to produce your passport as well as your licence?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Miro - as I understand it, anyone except Spanish citizens (who all have ID cards) is supposed to carry their passport at all times.
Because of the value of the document I leave my passport safely at home, and have never been asked for it by police, the Spanish driving licence being readily accepted.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Wicksey wrote:I hired a car last week on the Canaries and they never asked to see the paper part of the licence, just the plastic card.
There was a senior guy from the AA on Radio 2 just now discussing it. He said that the change has been really badly publicised and most people don't know about it. He discussed the potential problem with hiring abroad and said that most companies do not require the counterpart.

His advice was to carry the old one, even though it is theoretically not valid any more, as that will probably be accepted if the hire company actually asks for it. He also said, just be on the safe side, download your driving record from the DVLA before leaving.

There is also the ability to download a special code, up to 72 hours in advance, which you give to the hire company who can use it to check your record. Personally I very much doubt that any foreign hire company will even know about this option, let alone know how to use it.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:46 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Miro - as I understand it, anyone except Spanish citizens (who all have ID cards) is supposed to carry their passport at all times.
EU citizens from countries who issue ID cards can also use their card in place of a passport as ID. In fact it's not even necessary to travel from country to country with a passport.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:50 pm

The share driving licence page is now up and running in order to get your code. You enter your details here https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.g ... nce-number?

Then on the next page there's a tab to open up the 'share driving licence' details and to get and print off your code.
I shall be needing it just a few days after the paper counterpart is scrapped, but will take it along anyway plus the code which I'll print off before I leave here. Just hope Hertz in the UK know what they are doing! (In Spain I've never been asked for the paper part of the licence.)