Driving in tunnels wearing sunglasses.

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Driving in tunnels wearing sunglasses.

Postby gerryh » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Just picked up two new pair of spectacles today. Both the same varifocal prescription but one pair are sunglasses.
My optician advised me that I should wear the sunglasses when I am out as the Spanish sun can increases the rate that my cataracts are developing.
This 2011 thread http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26931 and Google searches suggest it is illegal to wear sunglasses whilst driving through a tunnel although my optician claimed they had never heard about this law although laws do change. :think:
It is not practical, or safe, to change spectacles whilst I am driving and I can't drive without spectacles.
Any thoughts/ comments other than avoiding driving in either direction, from where I live, on the A7.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Driving in tunnels wearing sunglasses.

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Just wear them, no one is going to notice, least of all prove that you were wearing them. I wear very dark glasses all the time when driving and, as you say, the process of changing them renders you liable to an accident. I am pretty sure there is no specific law about this.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:43 pm

You notice if you need to take them off... as you get older your ability to adapt to darkness gets significantly slower. I remember when I drove my grandma in long tunnels and she demanded me to stop the car because I couldn't possibly see anything (because she didn't).

BTW, those yellow glasses the gangsters use in the movies are what you are supposed to have in the dark (they deflect the headlights).

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:33 pm

I thought they brought the law about driving in tunnels in sunglasses a few years back. The same time i also read its illegal to drive in flip flops. Half of Andalusia drive in flip flops.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Apparently it's also illegal to drive topless (for both genders) but never once seen or heard about it being enforced...they'd make a fortune with people leaving the beaches in the summer months. However, someone I know has a pair of his normal glasses with a clip on flip up/down dark lens that he keeps in his car and only wears for driving, think they cost him about a tenner from the clip on sunglasses store about 4 yrs back.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:31 pm

All these specific laws are just an urban myth. There is just one catchall rule about driving, Article 3.1 of the Reglamento General de Circulación

1. You should drive with caution and diligence necessary to avoid any harm oneself or others, careful not to endanger both the same driver and other vehicle occupants and other road users. It is strictly forbidden negligent or reckless conduct.

That covers pretty well everything the Guardia Trafico choose to invent when they stop you.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:20 am

Gerry,
I would think that your prescription sun-glasses would adapt to entering into a poorly lit area without the necessity to remove or change them, and I think that most tunnels in Spain are very well lit.
However as a precaution could you please let me know when and where you will be entering tunnels, so that I can avoid them... :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:50 am

That would only happen if they were Photochromic lenses. Ordinary sunglasses do not adapt.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:23 pm

unfortunately for Gerry he can't go in any direction from his house on the A7 without going through a tunnel

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:11 am

I am insured with Linea Directa so I contacted their legal advice department for their opinion.
Here is their reply:-
"as far as we know there isn't any prohibition for driving through a tunnel with you sunglasses on, but just in case please ask the police to make sure."
So does that mean that if a policeman has had a bad day and decides to book me, then I should ask him about the law? :think: :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:37 am

is that called passing the buck?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:47 am

Mrs reckons I can't multi task, so switching me luz on and flipping the shades over my head, then remembering to switch off and replace glasses could pose problems.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:23 am

You should try it while driving a motor bike with a full face helmet on!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:45 pm

My Spanish prescription sunglasses came with a small leaflet. It states that they are graded by filtration from 0 to 4.
The numbers are on the inside of the arms.
4= cannot wear for driving. ever, day or night.
3=Cannot be worn at dusk/night when driving
2 = as above
1=As above
0= are the only filter level , which is very very light, that has no restrictions..
Todos somos Lorca.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:10 am

If you can go for the photochromic lenses so they adjust to the light.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:35 am

I wear photochromic varifocals and I don't think they are dark enough, likewise they don't adjust quickly enough for tunnels or dimly lit shops. Glasses replacement is usually when I can afford but they are due. I intend to see what I am offered. I am not going to a budget optician chain this time.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:23 am

If you are over 65 and resident in Andalucia, you are eligible for the over 65 card which, amongst other things, gives you a big discount on glasses, including sunglasses. It's at least 30%. Only in selected opticians but there are loads of them in the scheme.

Sid