car insurance

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
bawnbue1
Andalucia.com Amigo

car insurance

Postby bawnbue1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:29 pm

does any one know any broker/insurance company that gives temperay cover we have an Irish reg car who's insurance runs out on the 17th DEC but want a couple of months more before we go back to Ireland. any ideas..

thanks

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: car insurance

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Couple of thoughts....why not just renew your Irish insurance, assuming you are travelling back home in the car?
If you are leaving the car here it must be kept insured, so short-term cover is no good, and in any case you would be much safer rematriculating it.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:56 pm

Peter may be confused with the reference to "Irish" car. Insurance in Ireland is completely different to the uk so a car does not have to be insured or taxed when off the road under Irish rules. But too answer the OP's question & with my 30 years insurance experience as a broker I can tell you that no company will want to take the risk for a few months. The setting up charges (staff, office, broker commission etc etc) are all costed on a twelve month period so it wont be attractive to them. Are you driving back to Ireland or leaving the car in Spain ? If leaving it in Spain then why not take out the policy but "suspend cover" to fire & theft only while you are away then re starting on your return. As to re matriculating . . . . . . it's Peters old hobby horse. As we say in Ireland "sure it'll be alright :wink: .

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 am

All I ever hear is advice on matriculating. Perhaps the OP lives 6 months in Spain and 6 in Ireland. Why would he go to the expense of matriculating what is probably a RHD car?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:30 am

"If you are leaving the car here........ you would be much safer rematriculating it."
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

bawnbue1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bawnbue1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:24 pm

we live in Ireland and got a 12 month policy with liberty Ireland which allowed us to spend 90 days abroad which expires on the 17th dec but we would like to stay until the new year/mid jan
we have a "villa" car here insured with linea direct but they will not help with the Irish reg car. we bring over two dogs then use the villa car whilst here cheaper then kennels but did not realize the problems getting a month or so extra cover.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:47 pm

So are you saying it's not the policy which expires in December, but the 90 days ? In which case, when does your policy expire ? If it's the Dec date, can you renew via the internet or over the phone ? Presumably you will then start with a new 90 days ?

Or have I got it all wrong ? :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:04 am

Hi bawnbue1,
If its just the 90 day European cover expiring then the Policy will revert to 3rd Party Cover for Europe............scotty to confirm...?

Have you asked the Company for an Extension..........the one I used some years ago extended a month at a time for Full cover.

See Page 10 Foreign Use.................... :idea:

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/assets/ ... cument.pdf
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

bawnbue1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bawnbue1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:21 pm

thanks for all the help our insurance runs out next June, when we told liberty that we were going away for 3 months they were very precise in stating
that 93 days was the max we could have full cover for in any one trip. and if we were away for over that then they would invalidate our policy.
i looked at the liberty web site Enrique thanks but they Will not extent for a continuous length if we went back to Ireland after say two months then came back after a few months then they would extent by a month extra. i rang linea direct and they would cover the car hear and again give you green card but again for only 90 days in one go! mixed in with this i under stand that the car as it is a foregon reg is only supposed to be hear for 6 months any way!

so it looks like will be going home for Christmas as the song goes!!!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Why don't you go on-line or get someone to call up the other companies in Ireland get a quote for a full year, if this proves successful just insure the car in the normal way for a year but make sure when you are insuring inform the company you taking car out of the country for a few months.
Then a few days after you are with the new company cancel original policy, I think there be a penalty of €40-€50 and the rest will be refunded for the months remaining on the policy.
There may also be an option for a temporary deferment but I have never known anyone to do this, what I mean is take the Linea 90 days and defer Liberty for this time and then revert back when you return to Ireland, with this option you be returning to Ireland using Spanish insurance but this should not be a problem.
The first option should definitely work.

Hope this helps...