Van Wanted

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
TerryC
Resident

Van Wanted

Postby TerryC » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:39 pm

I would like to buy a reliable Luton bodied van, RHD UK Registered, taxed and MOTd. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Please PM me.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Van Wanted

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 am

UK or Spain?

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm

I would like to buy it here in Spain.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:03 pm

As far as i know a RH van without windows in Spain
because of safety.
It may be someone has one the brought but i do not
think they can be made legal in Spain.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:12 pm

It is almost impossible to register a RHD van in Spain. Any that are for sale will be illegal and subject to fines and confiscation. It would be almost impossible to transfer ownership as this could not be done in Spain, only in the UK and if the van had declared it was SORN in the UK (which most are) it would be difficult to transfer.

Why do you want to buy such a liability? No doubt you have a good reason, but I would love to know what it is.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:00 pm

I would assume-guess that Terry wants the van because he is returning to live in UK and wants to take his belongings with him.
It is possible, but rare to find a van in Spain as per the specifications outlined, maybe you will be lucky and find someone who is disposing of such a vehicle, who has recently moved to Spain.
You could also look at other options available, for instance fly back to UK and pick up a van there, plenty available and some bargains around, and although you have the costs of driving back to Spain it could actually work out cheaper and you would have a van with legitimate papers etc.
You could buy a Spanish van here and there are companies in UK who will buy it from you and arrange the paperwork correctly.
Or you could just contact one of the many removal firms and get a quote....
All the above of course is if my assumptions are correct.
I did run both UK and Spanish vans for over 25 years in Spain , legally because I had companies in both countries, but for permanent use by an 'ordinary resident' I wouldn't recommend it.
For interest , I sold my last UK reg. van here in Spain without complications, I advertised it privately and sold it to the first viewer, I also had it advertised on a website at the coast and had more than 100 prospective buyers contact me. :shock:
Good Luck...
Regards,
Gordon

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 pm

wollie wrote:As far as i know a RH van without windows in Spain
is not legal because of safety.
It may be someone has one the brought but i do not
think they can be made legal in Spain.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Wollie,
You are right that you can't register a 'dedicated' RHD van in Spain,and I should point out that my vans made regular trips to UK, so were always taxed insured with mot .

It is more difficult to drive a RHD van in Europe, but we always fitted extra mirrors and did many 1000's of miles/kilometres without incident.
Most of the vans that you see being permanently used particularly at the coast are illegal, some having been driven around for years and I'm really surprised that the authorities let them get away with it, they seem to have a purge every now and again and then forget them.
Regards,
Gordon