Linea Directa

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
fincalospinos
Resident

Linea Directa

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:48 am

I am thinking of insuring my car with Linea Directa, and I would like to check a couple of things with anyone on the Forum who may have had cause to make a claim following an accident.
They tell me that with Fully Comprehensive ( Todo Riegos) that I can have repairs done at the garage / Repairer of my choice.

Does this mean that I could take the car to the main dealership from where I bought the car ?
Is there any limit to the distance that they would transport the car from an accident ?

They tell me that this is what they offer, but I am concerned that there maybe something in the "small print" that doesn't allow this.
Any information would be appreciated.
Hardworking resident !!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Linea Directa

Postby olive » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:35 am

I cannot set your mind at rest but my experience might help.

Not long after I bought my car , it developed electrical weirdness ( dashboard lights) which turned out to be nothing more than failed battery. I wanted it to be sorted by a main dealer in case it was something more serious so I could make a warranty claim.

When I rang LD to get the vehicle taken from my home to a garage they were initially reluctant to have it taken further than the local small town ( 40 minutes) but took into account the circumstances and agreed to the extra distance ( a further 47 km)

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:50 am

Similar experience.
Been with LD for good many years, and always found them responsive and professional, although not the cheapest. Claims handled really efficiently.
Can confirm that they do allow you to choose your preferred repair shop, unless it's on their no-no list. Last time we wanted a body repair done at a garage that wasn't on their Approved list, they phoned it first, and rang back immediately with a green light.
I'm sure they will have a preferred grua distance, for cost reasons, but as they operate nationally, assessment and inspection would not be an issue for them anywhere in Spain.
Chris

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 am

Hello fincalospinos,
Got my contract Super Third Party Policy in front of me. It expired two months ago so I doubt much has changed. It sets out the maximum amounts covered and states: "Damages to insured party's vehicle in the event of a direct collision with another identified motor vehicle as a result of traffic incident, subject to repair in a garage affiliated to Linea Directa."

I read this to mean they could refuse to pay if you go to a garage they don't have a partnership with.

Regarding their rates: I was an LD client for a year - never made a claim but noticed that the contract includes a paragraph saying the first year includes a discount only applicable in that year. Perhaps try to renegotiate before renewal if you want to avoid a shock in your bank account.

Regarding service: I cancelled my policy due to buying a new car with a year's coverage included and despite my worries LD made it very easy to do. They explained everything clearly and sent a prepared letter in English which I just had to sign and return (all done in a day via e-mail).

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 am

alpineSi wrote: I read this to mean they could refuse to pay if you go to a garage they don't have a partnership with.
Agree. Essential that you get the OK from them for the garage you want to use. They seem flexible with this for garages they don't know, but do (I guess) have a black list. (After one dreadful body repair several years ago, I actively recommended said outfit for inclusion there.)
Chris

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Is there a website equivalent to go compare here in Spain?.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pm

I hope not. These sites are completely discredited, and direct you to their sponsors/owners.
Chris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 pm

https://www.rastreator.com/
Have never used it, so cannot comment on it's "credibility".
As far as I know, comparison sites in general naturally direct you only to their participating companies, and may not therefore necessarily inlcude the best or cheapest available in the relevant market - but otherwise I wasn't aware that they have been completely discredited for any other reason, and in my (limited) experience of using UK ones, they often offer cheaper quotes that if you go direct to the providers themselves (which is a bit bizarre!)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:27 am

I bought a car in Dec 17 and insured with Linea Directa. I did look at Spanish comparison sites and found some interesting offers, but LD 'phoned me. The 1st caller gave an uncompetitive price and was quite pushy, but a 2nd call came from a very pleasant person who listened to my circs and the price was good.
In June, I had a crunk on a road I travel along loads of times (familiarity breeds what?) and caused some damage to another car as well as my own. The other driver wasn't at fault, so I had to 'phone LD (otherwise, I'd have put up with the mild scrapes). I was offered a plethora of approved spray places over the 'phone and really just picked one that I knew was a short train hop or do-able walk. I concur with those above that, if you suggested your MD to them, they'd probably be OK with that.
I have no idea what the other party billed for, and what my next premium will be, but the incident was handled really well. I turned down the offer of a hire car because I had another vehicle to hand but they had everything covered.

Also on Miro's point, my e-sure renewal was up in the UK. I used confused.com and e-sure was not the cheapest on there but it was still better than the renewal quote. I 'phoned e-sure and they matched it (a cheque will come as a refund; they struggled to do it there and then). This isn't the first time; nor with just e-sure. I make a habit of running my details through the comparison sites before renewing and usually renew with a little saving.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks everyone for your replies, have decided to give them a try.
Hardworking resident !!

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:00 am

Another LD related query...Last year we moved to Spain so first insurance here. I checked rastreator (Spanish Confused.com) for our insurance and LD was not the cheapest but not far off so we went with them as they had English language service. Did the policy direct with them over the phone. We paid about EUR 950 for the year.

At time of taking policy on phone I was told they were taking into account our no claims history abroad, although they never asked for proof. When i got the paperwork it explicitly said we did not have a no claims bonus.

Renewal is next week and LD called with their price. Said it would be 950 ish again. I pulled them up on the no claims from last year and my premium should surely go down. They replied but Sir you had a claim this year. Then I pointed out it was the other drivers fault and he paid up. Then they re checked and the quote drooped to 840. I said I wanted to check around.

Rastreator had quites as low as 270 but it was lesser cover. The LD price on rastreator was 460 (will add a few bob for replacement car cover etc.) so realistically 550 ish...way below LD 840 renewal quote.

LD called back next day and I pointed this rasteator price out to them and the lady told me they are not real prices. Try to click on it and you won't be able to take the insurance at that price. Surely it must be illegal to do something like that?

Another questionable thing occured. She was telling me the other insurnace companies don't fully cover medical expenses for the driver in event of an accident that was your own fault (she says some have limits as low as EUR 3000) where as LD is unlimited. I pointed out that I have private medical insurance so that will pay if necessary. She then replied that it does not cover car accidents.

All in all I am not super happy about LD renewal process and wonder how they can tell lies like these in the present regulatory environment.

Has anybody had experience on getting LD insurance via rastreator? Did they honour the price shown on rastreator?

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:17 am

Has anybody had experience on getting LD insurance via rastreator? Did they honour the price shown on rastreator?
I also looked at Rastreator, and like yourself, found some cheaper quotes than LD. However it is difficult to check that they are like for like. I also found that when you were directed to the various websites for the different companies, you could not get a firm online quotation, they all asked for your details and would then call you back.
Some of them were so insistant I had to blacklist them from my phone.
I did eventualy go with LD, but at a higher price than quoted on Rastreator. Having said that, they were over 200 euros cheaper than some of the other firm quotations that I had.
Hardworking resident !!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:12 pm

When we first joined L.Direct i brought up my no claims from the uk. They said they would except it but needed proof as i expected so i sent them a copy. I would send them proof of your no claims as for 950 euros what are you insuring? a roller?!!

Have you tried gettibg quotes from other english speaking agents like liberty etc

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:01 pm

They never asked for the paperwork for no claims bonus, anyway my no calims was only 2 years at that point (been outside Europe for a long time) so I don't think it will be that much.

I have gone through my LD policy again this morning and it turns out there is a payout limit of 30k for the drivers injuries, so that was another fib LD told me!

Language is not an issue so I can take insurance with any company in Spain. I went on rastreator again after I fully checked what coverage I have with LD so I can get like for like coverage. In short I found coverage at 520 with all bells and whistles of LD and went all the way through to putiing in card details to pay. I will give LD their opportunity to call me back Tuesday as promised but last call the wanted 840 so guess I won't be going with them especially given the way the misled me

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah i agree 2 years prob wont make much difference. Maybe thats why they didnt ask. Re the drivers injuries they offered me upto 90k as a special deal for ten euros extra a year so it certainly excists.whether this is true i dont know. Im sure others can confirm but i was told car accidents etc arent covered on the spanish nhs and that your insurance has to pay.if thats the case then L.D were certainly lieing

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:54 pm

The 2nd LD caller I had listened to my circs - 12 yrs UK NCD, but I would not close the policy as I still drive in the UK - and offered a very competitive premium similar to my UK one. I did think it odd but "that's a good price, I'll take it" syndrome worked. I've since added (multicar) onto my UK policy and my original UK car's insurance has just been renewed. No queries from my UK insurers that a foreign company has purloined my NCD. It all seems a bit too much in my favour, but all paperwork is checking out in both countries. Worrying that people have been spun a yarn on the 'phone. Back to the documents and the magnifying glass...

On Paddy's point about comparison site prices not matching reality (of course, someone on the 'phone can say virtually anything to put you off a competitor - this is just an interesting aside), some 10 years ago the comparison sites had LV as my best bet so I went with them. The paperwork in the post said a premium £30 more expensive than that quoted on the site that I actually booked the policy through would be deducted. I 'phoned them and they basically blathered that "adjustments had been made" so I cancelled within the 14 day period. The next year, exactly the same thing happened. I check the email or letter "thank you for choosing..." very carefully ever since. IME, flagging things up with Watchdog and the like has been a waste of time.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:24 pm

So in the end I stayed with Linea Direct. Last year I paid EUR 911
Short Synposis of my renewal this year

Quote No.1 EUR 952 by post
Quote No.2 EUR 840 by phone when they called to ask had I seen the letter abut renewal
Checked around other companies. Called LD and told them I had checked around and see 550 ish and unless they were similar I will go elsewhere

Quote No.3 EUR 595, so took LD then as not worth the trouble to switch

Just amazed at the fibs I was told and if I could put up with the bother I would definitely leave. Anyway as is well documented never take the first quote to renew!

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Paddy when did you get the renewel letter, don't they automatically renew your Ins so you have to start looking at least a month before or does this not happen with LD.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:40 pm

I am away a lot so only saw the letter 10 days before the expiry. Policy does say auto renewal but you have until day before renewal date to cancel.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:32 pm

You have to give a months notice by law to not renew. If they are putting up your renewal price they have to give you two months notice. althought it seems pretty difficult to get them to tell you anything more than a month before