Linea Directa

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Linea Directa

Postby alpineSi » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:09 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote:Rastreator had quites as low as 270 but it was lesser cover. The LD price on rastreator was 460 (will add a few bob for replacement car cover etc.) so realistically 550 ish...way below LD 840 renewal quote.

LD called back next day and I pointed this rasteator price out to them and the lady told me they are not real prices. Try to click on it and you won't be able to take the insurance at that price. Surely it must be illegal to do something like that?
Funny, I had the same thing from them in exactly those words! Must say it a lot, presumably given a lot of their traffic must come from that site. I do think it's some sort of false advertising but doubt anyone in authority cares.

Re no claims - I have over ten years built up in UK and France and although they sounded interested when taking my details, I noticed on my contract it just says 'none'. Perhaps they can really only register NCBs built up in Spain?

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Is it illegal to offer no claims bonus here in spain, LD say so they also rubbished another Co Abbeygate by basically arguing you will have issues with them and take longer to do things etc etc, I don't like it when someone giving you your renewel quote does that.

Sorry that should be protected no claims bonus.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:41 pm

I am just in the process of buying a car and as it will be a second car I was interested to see how it would work 're NCD. Liberty said the price would be the same whether my OH who currently insures our main car, or I insure it. There was no mention of NCD and as I haven't owned a car whilst abroad I doubt that I could ever prove now that I had a full NCD.

I also looked on Rastreator and got a favourable quote of 198€ fully comp incl 300 excess with LD. I've yet to contact them directly to see if they .ca match that. Liberty's quote was 300 so I wonder if that's a geniune figure from the comparison site or not. Perhaps I should stick to who I know rather than go to LD?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

911 Euros sound really expensive. I pay less than that for two cars with LD and the second car was insured for a young driver.
I have a 2 year old Sportage insured with an excess waivered for the first claim....just received this year's new price 399 Euros.

My understanding is that you need to give 2 months notice to change but whether or not an insurance company will hold you to that is another question.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:57 am

I expect LD will 'phone you 1st thing in the morning, Wicksey, like a Rastreator up a drainpipe. I can't remember if that was the comparison site I used, but I must have put my real telephone number in and they were in like Flint. The first time, I was considering an Alfa 145. It wasn't a competitive quote, I hadn't even looked at the car yet, and the woman still seemed to be insisting I sign up right then. A while later, I checked for the Modus I was getting and a different woman 'phoned me. The quote was in the ballpark and the answers to my Qs made the right noises so I went with them rather than pursue the cheaper policies from insurers I hadn't heard of. To be honest, the lady was charming my socks off and it worked. In your situation, you are better placed to compare what you're getting for the prices (the LD price on the 'phone was firm) rather than just caving in like I did. No complaints about LD in use, I must admit.

Just realized; they squeezed info out of me that my home insurance renews in September but they've failed to chase me up; the payment went out automatically this month to my usual (and probably not very competitive) provider.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:48 am

It was two months but i believe its one now. If they want to increase your premium they have to give you 2 months notice

Moonbeach

Postby Moonbeach » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:27 am

Beware of this Company. I sold my car in September 2018 and cancelled my insurance with LD which had 6 months to run. A very nice lady phoned me to confirm that they had cancelled the insurance.

I then asked for a refund of 6 months premiums. The woman said that LD do not give refunds but that I could have a credit for the amount.

When I told her that I didn’t need insurance because I had sold the car, she tried to sell me other insurance products; none of which I needed. She repeated that she wouldn’t refund any money and she refused to put her decision in writing.

I said that permanently depriving me of my money for no product was the definition of THEFT. She did not reply!

My advice. Do not insure with this Company.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:22 pm

When I took out my car insurance with Liberty last year, they wanted proof of my UK NCB in order to get the price they quoted. As I had a renewal letter from my UK insurer with the NCB on it, just sent that to them.
I also got a quote from LD, but they were about 100euro more.

A few months later my wife pranged the car and I found Liberty very good with sorting out the claim. Though I would suggest you contact the agent who sold you the policy rather than ringing Liberty themselves, especially if your spanish isn't very good.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Moonbeach wrote:Beware of this Company. I sold my car in September 2018 and cancelled my insurance with LD which had 6 months to run. A very nice lady phoned me to confirm that they had cancelled the insurance.

I then asked for a refund of 6 months premiums. The woman said that LD do not give refunds but that I could have a credit for the amount.

When I told her that I didn’t need insurance because I had sold the car, she tried to sell me other insurance products; none of which I needed. She repeated that she wouldn’t refund any money and she refused to put her decision in writing.

I said that permanently depriving me of my money for no product was the definition of THEFT. She did not reply!

I am open to correction on this but I beleive that is standard practice in Spain. The premise is that you will always be buying another car. I have lived in 3 other European countries and they follow the UK system (you get a refund) but I have heard this (no refund) about other Spanish companies not just LD.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Alot of uk companies only give you a % depending on when you cancel. At the end of the day you have entered into a contract with them. Unless it says in the contract they will refund you then its upto them and the "goodness of their heart!"

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Moonbeach wrote:Beware of this Company. I sold my car in September 2018 and cancelled my insurance with LD which had 6 months to run. A very nice lady phoned me to confirm that they had cancelled the insurance.

You can not assume what is standard practice in the UK is also in Spain.

Sounds like the LD lady was trying to help you out, by suggesting alternative products, so that you wouldn't lose the 6 months insurance money.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Moonbeach wrote:

My advice is next time, read the contract.

As has been said, that's the way it works in Spain.

Take it or leave it.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:17 pm

One alternative is to pay premiums monthly/quarterly, where this is available.
That way, you can simply tell your bank to end the DD/SO when no longer required.
I have a feeling that LD don't allow payment of ins.premiums this way, though.
Chris

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Well, I'm not giving Linea Directa much more than 4/10, on the basis that less than 50% of my dealings with them are successful (or even sensible).

To recap, I took out my first car insurance in Spain, December 2017, after speaking to a very competent and pleasant person. As my luck goes, I had a crunk (minor, but my fault involving a 3rd party) in June. My car and presumably the other party's were dealt with without much hassle. I say "presumably" because, once my car had its scrape sprayed (€472- my 210 excess), that's the last I heard.

Now, less than one month to my renewal date, Linea Directa sent a letter to tell me that my renewal premium will be more than doubled. Now, it's entirely their right to charge what they like, but I should also be in a position to go with another insurer. That's when the fun started. Once again, 902 325 325 didn't work (has it ever, for anyone? Never does for me). So I had the bright idea of using their website's "ring me back for a quote" option and got a call in seconds. I told the person that I had a renewal quote already but wanted to know what was the total cost of my claim in June.

This set her alarm bell off straight away. "Let me see if I can reduce your premium (without answering your question)." After failing to reduce it by more than €10, I asked again for the cost of my accident. I got transferred. To someone who wanted me to renew my insurance with them. I got transferred again, to a claims bloke. He told me what I already knew - what my repairs cost. But what was the total cost of the claim? No information. So you pay out without keeping a record? Erm, probably about the same - about €900 in total... So, can I tell other insurers that this is your best guess because you don't really know? The amount probably won't matter - we'll ring you back in a week to see if you're renewing with Linea Directa.

Of course it matters. I have tried Rastreator and found much better quotes but (interested if others have this experience) the links from Rastreator don't work. Never defeated, I went to the best company's website and entered all my details from scratch. For a firm deal, the company DO want to 'phone me for the details of the claim and I don't have them, thanks to LD playing Secret Service (and it doesn't help that 200 wpm Spanish telephone operatives are considerably above my language level).

No surprise that LD are more interested in selling than helping you find a better provider, but (IMO) they are acting as though native English speakers are a captive market. I'm going to do my darnedest to prove them wrong.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:04 pm

The price paid for an insurance repair is usually 'confidential', as insurance companies do negotiate reduced rates from many repair companies they deal with. They are not keen on these rates becoming public knowledge. You stand a better chance of asking the repairing garage (at the time of the repair) for the figure.

At this moment, some friends of ours are having bodywork repaired (payable by LD). As it is LD's policy to allow policyholders to choose their preferred repairer (subject to their approval), they got quotes from a couple of workshops (main dealer and independent), and these quotes were provided itemised and in writing.

Have been using LD for some years now, and find 902 325 325 always works. If you do want to go jump any queue, just hit the digit for 'new customer'.
Last edited by TorreDelAguila on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:58 am

It has always been an annual "sport" of trying to get the best quote for car insurance, playing one company off against another, and trying to compare the different conditions they apply to each policy.
However, do cant realy compare until you actualy need to claim.
Let me tell you quickly of my recent experience with LD.
I took out my first policy with them on October 1st 2018, fully comprehensive with courtesty car included. Just under 400 euros with a 300 euro excess, for a 12 month old Mercedes.
I explained at the outset, that in the event of an accident I want the repairs carried out by a Mercedes main dealer, to which they agreed.
Just a month after, sods law, I had my first accident in 20 years.
I was only 10 Km from my home and it was a Sunday morning. Without going into details, the accident wasn't my fault.
I called the LD helpline and within 20 minutes a Grua arrived, having been given instructions to take the car to the Mercedes garage in Malaga.
They also arranged for a taxi to take me home, telling me to call first thing Monday when they would arrange a courtesy car to use for the duration of the repairs.
This I did, and they told me to collect the courtesy car from Avis at the Malaga train station, and that a taxi would be picking me up in half an hour to take me there from my home in Caleta de Velez.
The LD assesor went to the garage on the Tuesday and gave them the go ahead to strip the car down and give them an estimate ( around 3000 euros).
As soon as LD recieved the estimate they gave the go ahead to carry out the repairs.
A week later they called me to say that they had agreed with the other drivers insurance that I was not at fault, and that I would not have to pay the 300 euros excess, and that my NCB would not be affected.
They have also kept in touch with the garage, keeping me up to date on the state of the repairs, and telling me that I can collect the car during the middle of this coming week.
I cannot fault LD at all on the speed and efficiency that they have displayed in dealing with this, and I will certainly be staying with them based on this experience.
Hardworking resident !!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 am

Pretty much my experience with them too. They may not be the cheapest, but in the event of a claim, any complications are minimal. A very professional service.
Chris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:33 pm

My son's Insurance came up for renewal with LD in October and just over 500 Euros. As my son is now over 25.I spoke to them and made the point that now as he is an experienced driver I shouldn't have to pay a premium for his age. At first they said no but as soon as I mentioned I am looking at other companies, they dropped the cost by 200 Euros.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Their latest trick is to offer you a gift as an old customer of 1 excess free claim in the year. I got a quote from Liberty and they quoted the same price if you had no excess, but €150 cheaper with a €200 excess. Spoke to LD and they took away my free gift, and knocked €150 off the premium!

Apart from having to haggle with them on premiums I have had nothing but excellent service from them for the last 18 years!

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:54 pm

1bassleft wrote:Well, I'm not giving Linea Directa much more than 4/10, on the basis that less than 50% of my dealings with them are successful (or even sensible).

To recap, I took out my first car insurance in Spain, December 2017, after speaking to a very competent and pleasant person. As my luck goes, I had a crunk (minor, but my fault involving a 3rd party) in June. My car and presumably the other party's were dealt with without much hassle. I say "presumably" because, once my car had its scrape sprayed (€472- my 210 excess), that's the last I heard.

Now, less than one month to my renewal date, Linea Directa sent a letter to tell me that my renewal premium will be more than doubled. Now, it's entirely their right to charge what they like, but I should also be in a position to go with another insurer. That's when the fun started. Once again, 902 325 325 didn't work (has it ever, for anyone? Never does for me). So I had the bright idea of using their website's "ring me back for a quote" option and got a call in seconds. I told the person that I had a renewal quote already but wanted to know what was the total cost of my claim in June.

This set her alarm bell off straight away. "Let me see if I can reduce your premium (without answering your question)." After failing to reduce it by more than €10, I asked again for the cost of my accident. I got transferred. To someone who wanted me to renew my insurance with them. I got transferred again, to a claims bloke. He told me what I already knew - what my repairs cost. But what was the total cost of the claim? No information. So you pay out without keeping a record? Erm, probably about the same - about €900 in total... So, can I tell other insurers that this is your best guess because you don't really know? The amount probably won't matter - we'll ring you back in a week to see if you're renewing with Linea Directa.

Of course it matters. I have tried Rastreator and found much better quotes but (interested if others have this experience) the links from Rastreator don't work. Never defeated, I went to the best company's website and entered all my details from scratch. For a firm deal, the company DO want to 'phone me for the details of the claim and I don't have them, thanks to LD playing Secret Service (and it doesn't help that 200 wpm Spanish telephone operatives are considerably above my language level).

No surprise that LD are more interested in selling than helping you find a better provider, but (IMO) they are acting as though native English speakers are a captive market. I'm going to do my darnedest to prove them wrong.

By law they have to give you two months notice if they are increasing your premium