Tax on second hand cars

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tax on second hand cars

Postby Evaready » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:39 pm

Does anyone know whether a buyer of a second hand car from a dealer (and not a particular) has to pay the transfer tax? I have read in various places that if you buy from a bona fide dealer and pay IVA on the car (they all say the price includes IVA) then there is no impuesto patrimonial to pay, but I cannot find a definitive answer. So, my question is to anyone who has recently bought a second hand car from a dealer, which is less than 10 years old, did you have to pay an impuesto (other than to change the name on the documents) in addition to the purchase price? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Evaready

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tax on second hand cars

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:15 am

There is a transfer tax on cars - who pays is like everything else in trading up for negotiation. Usually with private sales it is the buyer who pays - but not always, with dealer sales negotiate!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:58 am

I have bought second hand cars from dealers here and there is only one price to pay. That includes the transfer and any taxes. We've never had to pay on top of the agreed price for anything.

Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evaready » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks for that all. I will check with the dealer before I buy. Much appreciated.
Evaready

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi there is a vehicle tax on anything regardless on car bike etc and i believe its 4% on the value of the vehicle. Thats their value not what you pay. Traffico charge an EU ILLEGAL charge of €50 €52 euros regardless. Please note its a euro law that the transfer of vehicle ownership has to be free but as spain make billions on it so the €10 million fine they get every year is paid without protest. There is no IVA on second hand items so dont be fooled about any 21% rubbish and dealers by law have to give you a 1 year guarantee however with a 10 year old car they may not mention it. Personally find a spanish car offer a price you want to pay do a deal with the owner and pay a gestor do to the rest. Trafico transferencias are now done ONLINE so no need to wait for weeks its done there and then and they can charge as little as €30. Dealers are cowboys especially British ones. I hope this helps. As a rough guide you should be looking below €200 including gestor fees for a legal transfer. They will also check if theres any finance and that the sello (local road tax is up to date) (if your registered disabled you dont pay this).

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:00 pm

We didn't have such a good experience buying from a second hand dealer here, but we've bought 2 ex hire cars direct from the hirecar company in past years which we've been really pleased with. We wanted to know the history of the car and have a guarantee, and the price was good too. It's a way of getting a car only a year or two old which can be difficult here, and they were both totally spotless like new when we collected them.

I'm sure when we sold a car privately the transfer tax was over 450€ and that was years ago. Unless things have changed I would have thought it was more than 200€ all in with the gestor's fee.

Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evaready » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Thanks for all your advice.
Evaready