some idiot kids threw rocks at my car: body shop recommendations?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

some idiot kids threw rocks at my car: body shop recommendations?

Postby qe2ex » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Driving down the hill opposite of the benalmadena columbus museum some days ago, some idiot children inside a gated community on top of the hill 40-50m above the road were having their fun throwing rocks at cars passing below. Unfortunately my car was hit, so my new car now has an unsightly bump on the hood. I'm hoping insurance will pay out, but not sure if the 600 EUR deductible I was forced to have will apply or not.

Anyone heard good things about any "higher-endish" bodyshop? Been taking good care of my new dream car since I got it, and this being the only bump so far I would like to get it fixed good if I can afford it/if insurance will pay.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: some idiot kids threw rocks at my car: body shop recommendations?

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Ask your insurance company. They should have a list of their own recommended places. Interested to note that your excess is so high. Is there any reason for this or would it be prudent to look at other companies. Mine, which is Linea Directa, is less than half and for the first accident of my own making, it is wavered.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Yeah, I'm sure they do, but car's special to me, so want something good, while I suspect their list of recommended places will be based on price rather than quality.

Regarding the excess, I'm not sure exactly why it's so high, but was told it was due to two reasons:

1) while snailing in queue at around 5-7 km/h in my old car, I hit the car in front slightly (slammed the brakes before hitting, so speed must have been even less than the 5-7 km/h pace). Virtually no damage (was not even sure I hit the car or not initially) but the cow in the car in front claimed some sort of injury later on. Liberty Seguros apparently paid out EUR 6,000, amazingly enough, so I got a "black mark" against me for this.

2), and main reason apparently: Car has a lot of horse power. Broker (euinsurancedirect) said one company declined to quote due to the HP, while another company quoted an even higher excess and price.

Will see if anything changes when it's up for renewal at the end of year, though not sure if this incident will count against me or not.

I contacted Linea Directa via their webform some months ago (before taking out the insurance through the broker), but received some spam-like email in response asking me to call them. Replied I preferred to receive the quote via email, and never heard back from them, so didn't bother with them again.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:57 am

You should get a bonnet painted by a high end bodyshop for max 300 euros. There are some terrible bodyshops in Spain who paint panels edge to edge instead of blending in. If its a newish car I would probably ask the supplying dealer and see who they use.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:55 am

Ok, thanks for the warning. It looks like I will have to take a trip to the dealer anyway, as this morning a woman hit my car from behind
while snailing through traffic. :-/ Quite similar to my own mistake last year, so I'm starting to wonder if that's an EUR 6,000 ache I'm feeling in my left earlobe.