Going To Airport

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Going To Airport

Postby poppy1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:00 pm

I'm reading conflicting information on whether or not I can drive my 2 friends to the airport for their flight back home to UK. Anyone know?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Going To Airport

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm

No you cant unless one is disabled and needs help.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:13 pm

You can, if you have just cause. You would need to argue that point with the police if you are stopped, but I doubt that they would object, because are you actually increasing the risk of contagion and returning home is a valid reason for having to go to the airport.

I hardly think that they will insist you drive back home.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Make sure you have a print-out of their boarding cards - and keep if to produce if there is a random check on your way home. Up here (first to lock down) they seem to be over zealous, even insisting on one person in a taxi (with mask, seated in the rear not shotgun).
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 pm

It clearly states 1 person in the back of a taxi or 2 if taking child or elderly who cant travel alone. 1 in a car to go to work or you and your wife if you work at the same place. You and your friend are not allowed to travel even if your live next door to each other and work together. Dropping friends at airport is a big risk if you are stopped. Wont send you home but a guaranteed fine for sure.

Cant believe you are saying it ok Sid. It is not.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:50 pm

Im only saying that common sense says that in this case, as there is no risk to other people then the police would probably allow it. The law allows you to do it if it is a case of Force Majeur.

You are saying take two taxis which exposes more people to the risk. That cannot be sensible.The police are far more pragmatic than you seem to be.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 am

El Cid wrote:
You are saying take two taxis which exposes more people to the risk. That cannot be sensible.The police are far more pragmatic than you seem to be.

Sid
They are also like raising revenue by fining people. If you break the Law in these uncertain times you will be fined, then probably allowed to carry on your journey. If you get a real assy copper he may make you leave 1 of your guests on the side of the road.
Policia Local are ok but the Guardia are less than sympathetic if you break the law.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:17 am

So if you can only have 2 people in your car am i right that they request lets say the wife to sit in the back seat on the opposite side of the driver? Have they also told them to have separate beds :mrgreen:

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:47 am

What absolute scaremongering nonsense. Firstly they would fine the taxi driver not the passengers and secondly as for leaving one of the passengers on the side of the road, oh do grow up. Never going to happen, never has happened during this crisis unless you can supply a link to such an event...well can you or is it all just wild unsubstantiated claims of what they could do?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:25 am

This kind of confrontational post is not helpful. Please desist.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 am

Best thing to do is ask the police first

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 pm

K&LTupper wrote:What absolute scaremongering nonsense. Firstly they would fine the taxi driver not the passengers and secondly as for leaving one of the passengers on the side of the road, oh do grow up. Never going to happen, never has happened during this crisis unless you can supply a link to such an event...well can you or is it all just wild unsubstantiated claims of what they could do?
The OP wasn’t using a taxi. Read the facts before being so ignorant.

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:15 am

I seem to have caused a bit of a stir here!!
One of my friends is indeed disabled and does need help. After reading the replies here I was unsure of what to do. Then yesterday I was subject to a Guardia Civil check (and had valid reason to be on the road) and asked them about the airport thing. I was told I could take ONE person to the airport, but only if that person was returning to their habitual address and that they had to sit in the back seat on the passenger side and that I should take proof of their flight...i.e. boarding pass. After hearing that I arranged with someone else to take the second friend....so 2 cars to get 2 people to the airport!! Not a problem due to the circumstances. Then tonight we hear that the flight has been cancelled :shock: :shock:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 am

N322 site posted an new directive yesterday or the day before. Said you can have one person for every row of seats upto a 9 seater. So for a standard car the driver and one in the back.

Now they are telling people you can only shop at the nearest supermarket to you. We know of people that have been told by guardia at checkpoints to only go to lidl even when theres a merc and supersol a further 500 plus mtrs further down the same road.read articles abloit fines been given out.they cant get what they need in lidl. Frankly you get paranoid about doing anything because of the amount of fines that are been handed out.walked up to the recycled bin yesterday (5 mins) and was looking over my shoulder everytime i heard a car.

K&LTupper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby K&LTupper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:44 am

costakid wrote:
K&LTupper wrote:What absolute scaremongering nonsense. Firstly they would fine the taxi driver not the passengers and secondly as for leaving one of the passengers on the side of the road, oh do grow up. Never going to happen, never has happened during this crisis unless you can supply a link to such an event...well can you or is it all just wild unsubstantiated claims of what they could do?
The OP wasn’t using a taxi. Read the facts before being so ignorant.
This argument must stop NOW.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 pm

So a couple with 2 children will need 2 taxis?
Surely most visitors will have left now anyway. Bit of a blow for the unofficial taxis.

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 pm

So...my friends managed to get a booking on one of the Easyjet rescue flights today. Took them in 2 cars with copies of ID and flights and the letter of authority from the British Embassy in Madrid. We travelled from Almeria to Alicante airport and back and did not come across one checkpoint or even saw a policia, guardia or army vehicle! Warning signs were on the motorway the other side of Murcia warning of checkpoints...but nothing.
Just pleased they are back home.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:46 am

Thats good news. The army were out in Nueva Andalucia yesterday checking vehicles.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:46 am

Seems like this thread has passed its use-by date. All rescue flights now stopped - one less thing to worry about!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:39 am

You're right Peter. I will close it and ask members to put any Coronavirus posts on the existing thread.

Sid