Car insurance claim advice

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Car insurance claim advice

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:31 am

Asking for a friend. Their car was damaged when parked up in a supermarket (they were inside). A bleeper parked up at the side of them and in the process scraped their bumper along a door to the bumper as they obviously werent capable of doing even the most basic parking manoeuvre. Friend came out and saw the damage. Yet the driver of the other car had still left their car at the side. Hadnt even moved it either via stupidity or sheer arrogance that i dont care i damaged your car. The said car was full of dents and paint scrapes so the owner obviously had no respect for their or anyone elses property..

The question is even though its obvious due to the paint transfer on the two cars that the car parked next to my friends did the damage would the car insurance go after the driver because no one saw it happen.? They could just denie it and say its a coincidence its the same colour. (Blue but not a common one) Any thoughts as they dont really want to call their insurer for advice incase they note it. They took pictures of number plate and damage at the time. As they have a white car they have mangaged to get the transfred paint off their car for the most part but there is some bodywork damage

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Car insurance claim advice

Postby maureenscot » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:50 am

Oh Jings. Happened to us in hire car. They should have phoned the police and waited until they attended. Got report number etc.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:57 am

Tbh i doubt the police would turn up for a typical spanish kiss. even more so in these times They did wait in the car park to see if the owner came back but nothing. Ontop of it peeing down at the time. So left a note on their windscreen

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:29 pm

elusive wrote:Tbh i doubt the police would turn up for a typical spanish kiss. even more so in these times They did wait in the car park to see if the owner came back but nothing. Ontop of it peeing down at the time. So left a note on their windscreen
And you know what the perpetrator will have done with the note.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Why not just ask the insurance company if they are interested in taking it up as a claim?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:00 pm

costakid wrote:
elusive wrote:Tbh i doubt the police would turn up for a typical spanish kiss. even more so in these times They did wait in the car park to see if the owner came back but nothing. Ontop of it peeing down at the time. So left a note on their windscreen
And you know what the perpetrator will have done with the note.
Yeah but i think it made them feel better and they learnt a few new spanish swear words :D

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Wicksey wrote:Why not just ask the insurance company if they are interested in taking it up as a claim?
Would it effect their no claims and or increase their premium though? Considerig what they are like in the uk are spanish firms as bad? They are wondering whether its worth it as they have a few scuffs etc already thanks to the "locals"

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 pm

I think the police would come if you called. In a town you should call the local town hall municipal police.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:39 am

elusive wrote:
Wicksey wrote:Why not just ask the insurance company if they are interested in taking it up as a claim?
Would it effect their no claims and or increase their premium though? Considerig what they are like in the uk are spanish firms as bad? They are wondering whether its worth it as they have a few scuffs etc already thanks to the "locals"
When my OH demolished the bumper on our previous car the replacement was due to cost 600€. We asked Liberty about it as we had a 300€ excess which would at least halve the cost of the repair. They said as it was our first claim the next year's renewal would not cost any more, and it didn't. So for us it was worth it as it halved the cost. In this case it was our fault so we made the claim ourselves.

When someone drove into the back of me last year I was able to get the accident form completed and the other party admitted fault. So in that case everything was paid for by the other insurance company and I didn't have to pay anything.

So really it's better to set out the situation to the insurance company and to see what they say. I have found our own company very approachable and if you don't ask you don't get (as in the case of my lost frozen food after a long power cut ... Endesa wouldn't pay but I've just got something from the house insurance :thumbup: )

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks guys.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:36 am

For future ref. (Hopefully not needed) but whats the law on calling the police for damage incidents. Like in the uk its only call if theres injuries. I guess putting aside if its in the the middle of the motorway! Is it the same here. Ie deal with it yourself via insurance if you can

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:25 am

Maybe you coulkd try asking https://www.ofesauto.es/en/about-ofesauto/ if the offender car is insured? I know that an insurance company in Spain (not your own) will not discuss anything except with another insurance company but the above may be willing to say yes or no?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:07 pm

It's important for both parties to fill out the accident form especially if the other is at fault so you should make sure you keep it in your car.

I would say the only reason the police would need to be called is due to injuries and death or if there is a dispute.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:16 pm

The reason we had to phone them was that the insurance company wanted the police report number for the blue form