UK Car or Spanish

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

UK Car or Spanish

Postby Mobylette63 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:21 pm

I am thinking of buying a car for use in Spain, 1st option , buy a UK reg LHD and drive to Spain and leave it there for use , obvious problems would be insurance..2nd option buy a Spanish car in Spain and leave at the house for use when there....views?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK Car or Spanish

Postby costakid » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:40 am

I have done the UK reg LHD thing a few times but now Brexit is up on us I think it could be problematic with Police and insurance. I can see a lot of UK cars going onto Spanish plates in Jan 2021.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am

If you don't change the UK car to Spanish plates wouldn't it be illegal here? Thinking of MOTs, car tax and the rules of having a foreign car here for any length of time. I would think having a Spanish one would be easier, although second hand cars are relatively expensive compared to UK prices, unless you bring over a UK one and re-register it here (although that has it's costs). Car tax can be very cheap, depending on where it's registered (we pay 43€ a year) and first MOT isn't due until it's 4 years old and then only every 2 years until it's 10 years old, so less to do especially if you have a car that's not too old.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:48 pm

buy a spanish car.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Insurance isn't a problem for a uk car. Theres enough companies that do it. Your problem is that you will need to change the plates on the car. Its illegal for it to be in spain for more than 6 months on uk plates. So the hassle of driving a LHD car and the cost of replating it imo you should just buy a spanish car in spain.

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Yes I think a Spanish car is the way to go..thanks for the replies