Rental car insurance

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
casita-bonita
Resident

Rental car insurance

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Had a rental car excess policy with insurance4carhire for at least 10 years. Received notification today that when my current policy expires on the 21st Dec they will not be able to renew it and I should look for alternative cover elsewhere. They hope to be able to reoffer policies to expats sometime in the future.

Not a big issue at the moment since we are not travelling and hiring cars for the forseeable future.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rental car insurance

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:20 pm

That's interesting. I have just looked at icarhireinsurance that I have been using for years and they've said the same. It did say, however, "Our sister website Aseguramicochedealquiler.es caters for Spanish residents looking for domestic and/or worldwide car rental coverage."

Is this a Brexit thing?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:30 pm

Yep Brexit. Insurance companies based in the uk can no longer sell to other European countries after Jan 1st.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Is that all embracing? I'm thinking house insurance on our place in the UK. Somehow doubt a spanish company will insure a UK house. Liife insurance springs to mind and I'm sure plenty of other examples.
Regards

Bob

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Beat me to it casa..Does that include all insurances. What if you have life insurance for eg? Through a U.K firm. Yeah and of course house insurance.. as if its not bad enough having the threat of having bank accounts closed then if the same happens with the insurances mentioned above that will royally screw me up and would prob be the last straw

Edit. Some info re insurance in the below link

https://www.fca.org.uk/firms/preparing- ... rmediaries

We used zest carhire the few times we hired in the uk.(used them before when uk resident) they have optional insurance ontop that covers everything for a small extra amount

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:03 pm

I've just renewed my UK house insurance. Not all insurance companies cover foreign landlords, but the one I use does. I would hope it's the house they are insuring not necessarily me, although I am covered for third party claims. They haven't said they can't cover me and know I am abroad.

For travel insurance I've used Staysure that covers expats, and still appears to do so for those living in Spain, France and Portugal.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Also had a staysure annual policy for years. I did receive an email from them last week informing me that they cannot autorenew my policy due to changes in their system. But i could renew manually with a 15%discount so that's promising. However can't see us needing travel insurance for some months to come so I'll leave that for now
Regards

Bob

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Damm. I have just sold my car and was going to move onto rental cars for the next 12 months. The 1st thing I was getting was the policy thats now void.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:36 pm

If you have the policy already you may be ok. They didnt cancel my existing policy rather they won't be able to renew it when it runs out.
Regards

Bob

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:32 am

it looks like brexit is going to cause headaches for alot of people. I wonder how many of the people it affects actually voted to leave as well ? kind of ironic isnt it.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 am

costakid wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:09 pm Damm. I have just sold my car and was going to move onto rental cars for the next 12 months. The 1st thing I was getting was the policy thats now void.
Have you looked at this site Aseguramicochedealquiler.es

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:09 pm

No but I will. Thanks

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:59 pm

Wicksey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 am
costakid wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:09 pm Damm. I have just sold my car and was going to move onto rental cars for the next 12 months. The 1st thing I was getting was the policy thats now void.
Have you looked at this site Aseguramicochedealquiler.es
I tried it. Chose country of residence as Espana. Then the box offering an annual policy greyed out so I coukd no longer click it.

I then input dates for 1 year of cover it defaulted and gave me 31 day policy for 247 Euro!

If anyone has found any company please let us know

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Oh dear ..... that doesn't sound good. Almost what I pay for my car insurance for a year! This is a pain as I would need it for the UK, although goodness knows when we'll next get there.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:03 pm

There is one available now

https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-hir ... urance.php

Your quote for Annual Multi-trip cover for Car Hire in Europe
Your Principal residence is in Spain.
Please note: As you have indicated that you are hiring in your Home Country, Standard cover is not available, only Deluxe Cover

Price for annual policy GBP 69.50

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:09 pm

Round of applause for paddy. For the sake of a tenner taking the deluxe cover seems a no brainer. One less thing to have to search when ee do get to travel again.

Just noticed an earlier post regarding the effect on other insurances. Have just renewed the landlord insurance on our uk house. No problem with us being spanish residents.

Intetestingly i tried the 3 main comparison websites, comparethemarket, moneysupermarket and gocompare. The second one i tried it struck me that the form to enter details for a quote looked pretty similar to the previous one. Same with the third. Turns out that all three end up with the same company, Simply Business. Scam or what?
Regards

Bob