Speeding

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Speeding

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:42 am

I have just received a speeding ticket at my UK address for speeding on a toll motorway on my way to Bilbao a couple of weeks ago. Within 10 days of infringement I had the ticket and options all in English. Very prompt service from the normally lax Spanish authorities. 115kph on the motorway which I thought was 120. Apparently it was 100 kmh limit but the fine was reduced to 50 euros for quick payment so not to bad.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Speeding

Postby olive » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:38 pm

We had the same with a speeding fine in France and the wretched Dartford crossing toll and a parking infringement in Scarborough. All documentation sent promptly and in Spanish to our home address. We successfully contested the last two and paid up the French one. It was 80 on a bridge and 100 either side of the bridge. I remembered seeing the innocuous looking pillar and looking in the mirror and seeing it was a camera. There is a very similar one on the right, in the shrubs, at the bottom of the hill towards Malaga from the Pedrizas pass.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:15 pm

A friend is trying to pay this in the bank in Malaga but the bank are being awkward. I suppose they want me to miss the 50% discount deadline.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Never had a Spanish speeding fine but isn’t there an option to pay online by yourself? There was with the French speeding. It was very easy.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:25 am

costakid wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:42 am I have just received a speeding ticket at my UK address for speeding on a toll motorway on my way to Bilbao a couple of weeks ago. Within 10 days of infringement I had the ticket and options all in English. Very prompt service from the normally lax Spanish authorities. 115kph on the motorway which I thought was 120. Apparently it was 100 kmh limit but the fine was reduced to 50 euros for quick payment so not to bad.
As long as you find a convenient, non-distracting, and easy to see place to put the phone, I find the Waze mobile app works quite well to avoid problems like this.

I always have Waze open with the phone on a dash board mount while driving. Not only is it usually (though not always) up to date on the speed limit is and speeding cameras, I also get warnings about cars temporarily stopped by the side of the road, police, accidents ahead, etc. At least the latter depends on a fellow driver reporting it though, so accuracy varies, but accuracy is good enough for me to feel it's worth it to keep the app open.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:42 pm

I also use Waze while on long journeys. It works pretty well if there is a hold up and offers alternative routes. On newer cars, it works on with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto so as to be able to have it on the main car screen,
I wouldn't use it to find places while walking because it drains the battery, which is obviously not a problem in a car if it is plugged into the car charger.
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:57 pm

I paid the fine by card online, very easy to do. I was trying to avoid this as the Spanish have a habit of keeping your details for future infringements and just taking the money.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:07 pm

They'd have a long wait for me, as in 17 years I never got caught speeding. There is a reason for that.
I'm glad you are speeding though, and helping to reduce the debt of the Spanish treasury. :clap: