Swapping to Spanish driving license

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
RichardTownsend
Tourist

Swapping to Spanish driving license

Postby RichardTownsend » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Hi all,

We spend 8 months in Spain each year and 4 months in the UK.

I know that by 30th December I need to start the process of swapping to a Spanish driving licence or I will need to take a Spanish driving test. But what about driving for 4 months a year in the UK on a Spanish licence? All the .gov.uk websites say is that the situation for this after exiting the transition period has yet to be defined. I’ve been waiting for clarity on this before going ahead but it looks like there won’t be any before the deadline passes. I’ve tried to contact the British consulate in Alicante but they are closed.

Does anyone have a clear understanding of whether a Spanish licence will be accepted in the uk for 4 months a year?

Many thanks

Rich

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Swapping to Spanish driving license

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:31 pm

If you spend 8 months of the year in Spain then you must be a Spanish resident.
Also it means that you have to have a Spanish driving licence.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Try the DVLA ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:44 pm

If the UK government does not know the answer to this, I doubt that anyone on this forum will know the answer either.

You have nothing to lose by starting the process now.

Sid

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Everyone

I found this on the internet a little while ago.Hope this helps.

"Is a Spanish driving license valid in the UK?
Any person with a valid driving licence issued in their country of origin is permitted to drive in the United Kingdom for at least 12 months. After this period, you will need to exchange your documents for a UK licence, or pass the DVSA's UK driving test.
Oct 26, 2020"

David

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Correct, but as you said, it’s old info.

Neither you nor I know the answer as the uk government have to to decide. To the OP, as I have already said, just get on with it.

There really is not much point in discussing this further until HMG speaks on it.

Sid

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:44 am

RichardTownsend wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:19 pm Hi all,

I know that by 30th December I need to start the process of swapping to a Spanish driving licence or I will need to take a Spanish driving test. But what about driving for 4 months a year in the UK on a Spanish licence? All the .gov.uk websites say is that the situation for this after exiting the transition period has yet to be defined. I’ve been waiting for clarity on this before going ahead but it looks like there won’t be any before the deadline passes. I’ve tried to contact the British consulate in Alicante but they are closed.

Does anyone have a clear understanding of whether a Spanish licence will be accepted in the uk for 4 months a year?

Many thanks

Rich
You can check the requirements here.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

You can drive any type of small vehicle (for example cars or motorcycles) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB)

Spanish licence might be more post transition/agreement but it certainly won't be less than 12 months. Your bigger problem as others have said will be driving in Spain as you will be here more than 6 months you will need an EU licence as only EU licences allow Spanish residents to drive in Spain.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:05 am

Your a spanish resident on a 4 month holiday to the uk. Dont see why there would be any issue other than whether you will need an IDP or not. The bigger issue is getting insurance. Alot wont cover a non uk licence.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:31 pm

Many thanks

Rich
Will you use a rental car or drive over in your own? If in your own car and IDP may be needed and you will already have EU insurance so I suppose the equivalent of our green card will be needed. Cant see it being a problem.

They are saying at the moment that UK citizens will not need an IDP for Spain.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:36 pm

I know that by 30th December I need to start the process of swapping to a Spanish driving licence (...) Rich

If your licence is from the UK, are you resident in spain?. Legally you should be, if you spend 8 months here.

If you dont have residencia here in spain, you cant have a spanish licence.

And you realise its the 29th today? How will you get an appointment in traffico today or tomorrow? (and even then, i believe it has to be "in process", ie, of been seen by the DVLA by the 30th? you probably should of started doing it a month ago.)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

RichardTownsend
Tourist

Postby RichardTownsend » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Yes, we have Residencia. We've started the process by registering our licences with the DGT by phone so we are covered by the special process and won't need to take a Spanish driving test. We can arrange the appointments later.

Thanks for the point about insurance - we will contact our insurers and discuss with them. That's something I had not appreciated.

Many thanks

Rich

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:03 pm

Re the insurance. I ment it interms of if you have a uk plated car in the u.k that you will drive there. Many uk companies wont insure a non uk licence. Some will but you need to look around. Taking your spanish car or renting wont be an issue.

RichardTownsend
Tourist

Postby RichardTownsend » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:15 am

Ah - thanks very much for the clarification, Elusive.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 am

But just check with your spanish insurer about how long you can drive your E.S car in the uk interms of insurance. They might only cover you for 90 days at a time? Could be a problem if you are doing 4 months in one hit