Worse driving standards?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Worse driving standards?

Postby Lavanda » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:12 pm

Hence my question about 'his' lane. :D

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:13 pm

elusive wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:50 pm
qe2ex wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:21 pm
elusive wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:28 pm Like you say, the amount of times ive been over taking and a car driving at god knows what speed is up my backside within a second of me looking in my rear view mirror.they can see ive just pulled out if stuck behind a slow vehicle yet dont have the common sense to take their foot of the accelerator for a few seconds.
If he's up your backside within a second, why don't you wait a second or two and let him pass, before moving into the left lane to overtake whatever it is you want to overtake? Wouldn't that be more polite than forcing him to break/slow down just because you couldn't wait a second or two to let him pass before you jumped into his lane to overtake?
Or maybe he shouldnt be driving at 160 plus on the motorway. From a long way off you cant tell how quick they are driving. Once they see someone pulling out possible 100s of metres infront of them yet because they are speeding they know they will be on them in seconds then its common sense to take your foot of the accelerator .if you are intop of someone because you are driving at high speed well over the limit then your the one at fault hence why you see so many brake lights coming on all the time. You shouldnt need to use them on a motorway unless its an emergency situation. Unless of course you are driving to fast and tailgating someone.
Well, I think common sense is to wait to pull out till somebody has passed if your own speed is considerably slower than whoever is coming up behind. From a long way off I think there should be plenty of time for you to evaluate the situation and consider whether you can safely pull out, pass, and pull in. Without blocking whoever is coming up behind.

What I sometimes see if I drive a bit slow in the slow lane, and the car behind wants to go a little bit faster, the car behind me pulls out without caring much about who is behind, and very slowly passes me, going 4-5 km/h faster, creating a line of several annoyed cars behind it, rather than wait till there are no cars behind before trying to pass me. Maybe the cars in the fast line are going over the speed limit? I don't know and I'm not the police, but I always wonder why the car that wants to pass me does not wait a little bit, as even for me it it's obvious there are other cars coming up fast in the fast lane who will have to end up waiting for the car to slowly pass me. It just seems like a rude and inconsiderate thing to me. Take the foot of the accelerator for a few seconds, and let the other cars pass you first.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:17 pm

Wicksey wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:15 am I think what elusive is describing is what happens to us.

We have not pulled out to overtake knowing that a car is speeding along the outside lane. I would not pull out in front of a fast advancing vehicle. I check my mirrors and there's nothing in sight but then as I'm halfway overtaking the slower vehicle a car will appear from nowhere doing a ton and then roars up within a few feet of me. If people drive that fast then they should be aware that they will encounter others in the overtaking lane doing 120kmph (or sometimes less) and they have to be prepared to slow down, not act as if they want to try to knock you off the road.
I agree with that, though I don't often see that. Much more often I see somebody pulling out in front of fast approaching cars, preferring to make the other car wait rather than wait themselves.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:00 pm

qe2ex wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:13 pm
elusive wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:50 pm
qe2ex wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:21 pm

If he's up your backside within a second, why don't you wait a second or two and let him pass, before moving into the left lane to overtake whatever it is you want to overtake? Wouldn't that be more polite than forcing him to break/slow down just because you couldn't wait a second or two to let him pass before you jumped into his lane to overtake?
Or maybe he shouldnt be driving at 160 plus on the motorway. From a long way off you cant tell how quick they are driving. Once they see someone pulling out possible 100s of metres infront of them yet because they are speeding they know they will be on them in seconds then its common sense to take your foot of the accelerator .if you are intop of someone because you are driving at high speed well over the limit then your the one at fault hence why you see so many brake lights coming on all the time. You shouldnt need to use them on a motorway unless its an emergency situation. Unless of course you are driving to fast and tailgating someone.
Well, I think common sense is to wait to pull out till somebody has passed if your own speed is considerably slower than whoever is coming up behind. From a long way off I think there should be plenty of time for you to evaluate the situation and consider whether you can safely pull out, pass, and pull in. Without blocking whoever is coming up behind.

What I sometimes see if I drive a bit slow in the slow lane, and the car behind wants to go a little bit faster, the car behind me pulls out without caring much about who is behind, and very slowly passes me, going 4-5 km/h faster, creating a line of several annoyed cars behind it, rather than wait till there are no cars behind before trying to pass me. Maybe the cars in the fast line are going over the speed limit? I don't know and I'm not the police, but I always wonder why the car that wants to pass me does not wait a little bit, as even for me it it's obvious there are other cars coming up fast in the fast lane who will have to end up waiting for the car to slowly pass me. It just seems like a rude and inconsiderate thing to me. Take the foot of the accelerator for a few seconds, and let the other cars pass you first.
Like I said they were a long way behind so if they were doing a normal speed you would have a perfectly good amount of time to overtake and pull in before they even reached you. When they are that far away you cant tell they are doing 160 plus until you look in your mirror again and they are up your backside. Like wicksey said if they are near enough for me to be able to tell they are driving at high speed and i want to overtake then of course i take my foot off the excelaratoter and wait for them to pass and then pull out. only someone with a death wish would do otherwise. But then again if they stuck within a reasonable amount of the speed limit and had some road/common sense/manners there would be nothing to discuss.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:05 pm

Personally I think the safest place to be is in the outside lane preferably in a group of cars travelling at the same speed. Driving in the inside lane is much more risky unless you are prepared to accept the speed in that lane. Pulling out into the fast lane is potentially more dangerous.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:27 pm

I think it works both ways. Theres nothing worse than being in the inside lane doing 100-120 and gaining very quickly on someone going at snails pace and you not having the opportunity to pull out because the outside lane is full. But then i dont want to be in the outside lane being tailgated at high speed. All the near misses ive seen are from cars,all of them going well over the speed limit and tailgating each other and in some cases undertaking Once at rincon i saw a very big near miss when a car was tailgating another. Both were doing well over the limit and the car behind had had enough and decided to undertake instead. The car infront then finally decided to pull across and literally was within inches of the undertaking car.they served back into the outside lane thankfully there wasnt another car there. But i bet it certainly put the wind up them! Perso ally i try to keep away from everyone and give all around a good wide berth as you never know what some are going to do!

Saw the aftermath of someone being killed above benalmadena on the motoway a month or two ago. One car smashed in facing the wrong direction and another 20yrds further down on its roof facing the wrong way. Caused by tailgating or pulling in to quickly after over taking and catching the other car and spinning it. Yet as soon as we got past it you had the high speed tailgaters acting as per norm .even seeing that doesnt make some think

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:21 pm

https://www.abc.es/motor/trafico/abci-c ... ticia.html

Its behind a paywall, but from the helicopter picture its clear..

The dgt are going to start prosecuting tailgaters !! Whoohoo at last.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.