Car Sagging Roof Liner - Spray Adhesive Recommendation

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Car Sagging Roof Liner - Spray Adhesive Recommendation

Postby Granite » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:25 pm

My Ford Mondeo has developed a "sagging roof lining" in several places. I have googled the problem which seems common in older cars. One pragmatic and economical solution is to use a suitable spay adhesive. Amazon UK has several products with good reviews for this particular problem. However, I have had little success in searching for products available in Spain with good reviews. Recommendations based on personal experience would be welcomed. Thanks.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Sagging Roof Liner - Spray Adhesive Recommendation

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:47 pm

Do you have a classic car restorer near you? They will have an adhesive for that.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:55 am

They usually sag because the original foam lining to the fabric that was stuck to the roof, deteriorates over time and turns to dust. Spraying glue (somehow!) behind the sagging cloth so that the fabric now sticks to the roof liner is not a perfect solution by any means.The only effective course of action is to remove the roof/headlining and replace the fabric.
eBay is full of chinese supposed solutions and stuff like this: tinyurl.com/jk6f2w for a "proper" job.
nil illegitimum carborundum

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm

If memory serves me correctly, I used a stapler!! It worked

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:20 pm

Theres several local car upholsterers in malaga, they charge around €100 to remove and refit the headliner. It looks like a new car afterwards.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:47 pm

In Malaga the op would find someone on the Poligono or in Velez quite easy but he is in Galicia. I love that area but do not know anyone to recommend.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:26 pm

Sorry, cant see that on my phone unless i go to his profile.

No idea in galicia. Nearest 'big' industrial estate -look for 'tapiceria de coches' - or google it with your town name / region .. Or look on facebook?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Granite
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Granite » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. My Mondeo is a 1.8 TD Estate Ghia (with real plastic wood dashboard !) owned from new, regularly serviced and first registered in UK in Jan 2000 and now with 200,000 miles on the clock. So worth nothing but very fit-for-purpose for the wilds of Galicia. I agree that the best solution is to remove the roof liner, reupholster and refit. Given the age of the car I will first investigate the use of a spray adhesive - several videos on Google. Trim Fix adhesive and/or head liner repair buttons are featured on Amazon UK. The buttons are available on Amazon.es but not an obvious spay adhesive, hence my original post. An upholstery adhesive will probably suffice, and I will explore this option. Every year when the ITV is approaching I ponder the need to replace the car but expenditure on age related problems has to date not justified that option.
Thanks again.