Solar/Electric Car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Solar/Electric Car

Postby olive » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Has anyone on here looked into the practicalities of charging an electric car primarily from solar panels?

We haven’t got one yet but for short journeys they make sense assuming you have the initial capital.

I was thinking a modest solar array would give enough charge for 20/30 miles a day. A neighbour has one I could use for nine months of the year. When in use it drives a 2kw bore hole pump. I think its output is only 1.5 kw as it pumps less than when connected to our mains power

I realise their are huge variables like older model cars take longer to charge. Presumably planning permission wouldn’t be an issue with it being “ green”. Space on your land or a carport for shade and panels on top.

Anyone looked into it or dong with a mains charger as a back up?

Tom W
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Solar/Electric Car

Postby Tom W » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:34 pm

We have 3.84kWh of panels and the output at this time of year is 300 to 340kW per month. Don't have an electric car in Spain yet but the 4 y.o. Merc we do have does 60 to 100ml on 30kW so you'd get 10 charges a month. Hoping someday soonish there will be a car that can be used as battery storage for the house as well as the shopping trips. Don't think this is that far fetched, it can already be done but not with any production cars yet AFAIK.

You already get 'smart' chargers that will only charge the car when solar is exporting so that it doesn't charge from the grid. Have a look at Myenergi website for more info on that side of it.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:13 pm

Hola

On YouTube there is "E.V.man" who every week has a slot about electric vehicles. I watched one about having solar panels on the roof and bonnet of a car - roughly three days to charge it for four hours running of a small electric car

Davexf

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:51 pm

Hyundai are releasing a car this year with solar panels in the roof to recharge the battery and power the heating and aircon: https://www.hyundai.com/uk/ioniq-5/ioni ... tions.html

Efficiency to be confirmed, especially in the cloudy UK! I wonder how well they'd work in Spain too, given that most Spanish apartments, supermarkets etc have underground parking. Useful to not have the air con using your battery when out on the road of course.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:35 pm

Yes, it is totally possible - several of our customers have teslas, and tesla power walls / solar on their houses.

Robert llewyelin Bowen does it in the uk, same set up. Hes on youtube - ' the fully charged show' - hes totally solar i believe, he reviews all sorts of electric vehicles.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.