Cancelling car insurance

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cancelling car insurance

Postby axarquian » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 pm

Hello, I have two Spanish registered cars in Spain both insured with Linea Directa. Both policies are due for renewal in the next few months. I am a non-resident and will be hoping to sell one of the vehicles as soon as I am able to return to Spain. It is quite possible that this may be just one or two months after the insurance renewal date. It is my understanding that many Spanish insurance companies (including Linea Directa) will not issue a refund where a policy is cancelled during the period of insurance. I am legally obliged to have insurance whilst owning the car, does anyone know of an insurance company that will issue a refund if a policy is cancelled or any company where the premium may be paid monthly and the policy simply cancelled when the car is sold.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Cancelling car insurance

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:09 am

https://helloauto.com/

This is kind of a hybrid insurance. Monthly payment of a fixed small fee and then you pay per day when you use the car.

For the car I asked for a quote on they wanted 13 EUR per month and the 1 EUR every day I used it. So 156 EUR per year if I never used the car. Not sure what the cancellation options are though...but worst case scenario you pay 156 EUR.

That compares to 450 EUR per year I pay now for a car I don't use a lot.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cancelling car insurance

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:46 am

axarquian wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 pm Hello, I have two Spanish registered cars in Spain both insured with Linea Directa. Both policies are due for renewal in the next few months. I am a non-resident and will be hoping to sell one of the vehicles as soon as I am able to return to Spain. It is quite possible that this may be just one or two months after the insurance renewal date. It is my understanding that many Spanish insurance companies (including Linea Directa) will not issue a refund where a policy is cancelled during the period of insurance. I am legally obliged to have insurance whilst owning the car, does anyone know of an insurance company that will issue a refund if a policy is cancelled or any company where the premium may be paid monthly and the policy simply cancelled when the car is sold.
Have you asked L.D about paying quarterly.As some people have been able to do that instead of paying for the year.