German Company Cars in Spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
pensure1988
Resident

German Company Cars in Spain

Postby pensure1988 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:58 pm

Hi

Just a question. We have two Permanent Italian t Residents who speak Spanish fluently living in our Urbanisation. They both work for the same German Company and drive Company Cars for a number of years now. As these Cars are registered in Germany and have German Number Plates, are they allowed to drive these Cars in Spain permanently without having to change to Spanish Plates.

Thanks

Nigel

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: German Company Cars in Spain

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:20 am

A spanish resident cant own or drive (unless owner is with him) a foreign plated car. And a foreign plated car can only be in the country a max of 6 months before it needs to be replated (if owner is a non resident)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 pm

I think the rules are different if its a company vehicle, as theres portugese campervans here for years too, that belong to a company, and they get stopped by traffico all the time
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:26 am

There is a law that allows hire car companies to rent out foreign plated vehicles within the EU. I think it is only allowable if the vehicle is a one way rental back to the country of origin though.

The 6 month rule is different for company cars and some EU countries do allow longer for company cars, although I am not sure if Spain is one of them.

So in answer partial answer to OP, the fact that it is a company car is relevant and it might mean the 6 month rule is not applicable, but I have no idea what the exact conditions are in Spain.