Snake Oil for ITV

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Snake Oil for ITV

Postby olive » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:09 pm

Took the 4x4 for its ITV and it failed on emissions.

My bad as lots of short journeys and low kms so thought didn’t need to have oil and filter changed ( I had done the air filter) .

Although emissions were high, garage man is convinced it will pass having now had oil and filter change. He did however also provide me with a dose of snake oil to put in the diesel when it is down to half full. It is Kent Guard 2. Quite cheap too. Might be of use to other forum members

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Snake Oil for ITV

Postby Enrique » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm

Hi olive,
The Snake oil appears to work.........helped a neighbour start a car the other day........ask how it got through ITV as it was a sure failure even without a test meter........Her mechanic put in some "stuff" and it sailed through.

Old diesel power vehicles..........

You can help yourself........Change before ITV..... Engine oil and filter, plus air Filter , also week before instead of trundling about in 5th gear, spend more time in 3rd and 4th.
Arrive a ITV station with fully warmed up engine........... just prior to driving round to your Line , floor the accelerator and run the engine up to the Governor three times...........These instructions where displayed in the ITV station on a Ticker.

Make sure your Cam Belt is within Age and Mileage recommended for your Make/Model/Year :!: :!:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:52 pm

Yes I do that Italian tune up mode.

Just been talking with a vecino. He uses the same sfuff ( and uses the same garage) I also asked him why tractors have wing mirrors in two positions. Folded away for normal use and out for the ITV test!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:24 am

olive wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:09 pm Took the 4x4 for its ITV and it failed on emissions.

My bad as lots of short journeys and low kms so thought didn’t need to have oil and filter changed ( I had done the air filter) .

Although emissions were high, garage man is convinced it will pass having now had oil and filter change. He did however also provide me with a dose of snake oil to put in the diesel when it is down to half full. It is Kent Guard 2. Quite cheap too. Might be of use to other forum members
Give it a good run down the motorway. That always helps if previously only had short runs.