Anyone applied for an ES Driver's Licence from scratch?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Anyone applied for an ES Driver's Licence from scratch?

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:04 pm

Congrats!

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:31 pm

Thank you :wave: . I have the (frankly disappointing) provisional paperwork - blotched by raindrops - but I was glad of the proof that it wasn't an elaborate April Fool's joke. My green 'ele' is in my rear windscreen for a year and I'm strangely fond of it.

Evaready
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evaready » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:31 pm

well done indeed. Having passed on 11 February I still have my scrappy bit of provisional licence paper which expires on 11 May because, presumably, I should get my actual licence by then. Given our postal service I am not holding out much hope for it to arrive in time!! Unfortunately, my UK licence needs renewing in mid June, so it would just be typical if I ended up without either licence for a time. Will get onto the driving school and ask if they have any idea how I either get the provisional extended or when I am likely to receive the actual licence!

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:14 am

Thanks, evaready, for your congrats. Yes, my inkjet printout is good for 01/07 and I hope Correos/Trafico are able to beat that deadline. At least my UK licence goes well beyond that, but the 30/04 agreement doesn't... yet...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:28 am

Well done 1bassleft, i'd hate to have to resit my test again now in the Uk never mind in Spain. :lol:

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:10 am

Thanks, Pamela1. For nervous types (which includes me), it's not amusing. If you're not familiar with The Big City (Malaga, in my case), it's not amusing. Paying for theoretical and practical lessons (Autoescuelas Florido, in my case) certainly helped. Maybe not necessary for everybody, but it's a snakepit out there and the € are worth spending.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:07 pm

Looks like you made the right decition to take your test, it seems that they are not extending the time and have not come to an agreement as yet..There has been an update on the Uk gov website about it.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:33 pm

Maybe if one finds driving in modern a city difficult then you should be relying on buses or taxis?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:19 pm

I think anyone would find it difficult taking their test in malaga city. its hard enough at the best of times when you are just driving as per norm making sure you have your wits about you and that's when you know where you are going.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:21 pm

Correct, Pamela1. I subscribe to updates for .gov's "travelling to Spain" and "living in Spain" sections and an email today (succinct but informative enough to not need to go to the site) says, quote
Change made:
Driving section updated: from 1 May 2022 UK driving licences will no longer be valid for driving in Spain if you have been resident for more than 6 months.

I was fearing as much; the previous extension from 28/02 to 30/04 was announced quite close to the line (mid-Feb, iirc) but the radio silence over the last few days was ominous. As you say, justification for my € and time spent and I imagine relatively few people were in my circs of gaining residencia in early 2020 and then being caught out abroad with travel restrictions. I only know of one or two who had been in Spain throughout and "didn't get round to it" - mainly because they don't have or feel the need for a car in Spain. AFAIK, the only EU countries that don't swap freely are Spain and Italy. The latter allows driving for residents on a UK licence until the end of 2022, with an Italian driving test required by then. I don't know how much this might make UK people reconsider Portugal etc for their 2nd/retirement home purchase instead.

Peter, I'm a terribly unclear writer. Cities don't make me nervous, even unknown ones - I go through them all the time - but exams do. I could live with someone in the back making notes if they weren't semi-suddenly saying "take the next left" and I'm supposed to know it's a raqueta so I need to indicate right, go round the semi-circle in the right hand lane etc, all while every other local is diving into any space that opens up, and watch out for the dashed line turning solid. Almost resembling the cab driver's "The Knowledge"; I had to do Leeds yesterday and satnav is a lifesaver :)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun May 01, 2022 12:55 pm

elusive wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:19 pm I think anyone would find it difficult taking their test in malaga city. its hard enough at the best of times when you are just driving as per norm making sure you have your wits about you and that's when you know where you are going.
100% agree with your post! My BIL lives in Madrid is a good driver, both him and his wife are out of their comfort zone when they drive in Granada and they are both Spanish, i take my hat off to 1bassleft for taking his test in Spain. :D

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 04, 2022 6:23 pm

So the negotiations are still ongoing according to Hugh Elliott the British ambassador to Spain, he announced on twitter that Spain has asked to include data provision on vehicle owners which is more complex. He also claims that the Uk have asked for a new grace period.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed May 04, 2022 11:40 pm

That's very interesting, Pamela1. I think asking for a resuscitation of the grace is more in hope than expectation, but it would be helpful for future intending residents if the technical issues were sorted out and they can simply swap once residency is established. The current UK driving standards are as close to the median of the other 27 EU member states to warrant it. As I wrote at the start of all this process, I would highly recommend even hassle-free swappers to at least try the free online teorico exam sites available - I'd be surprised if anyone got more than 25/30 (a fail) at the first attempt as there are some significant differences to even a 2010s UK test - never mind a 1980s one. Might prevent a ticket or a your-fault accident.

My vecino/amigo John got his residencia in 2021 and was always ineligible for the swap and currently has no car nor need for one but that could change as he's thinking of putting his property renovation background to use but registration for self-employment is already expensive enough (he tells me) without adding the several hundred € for a driving licence on top. I thank you for your hat-raising, Pamela, but it's not a superpower and, if anyone is facing having to go down my route, I'd like to encourage them that it's all doable with preparation and application.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:02 am

I returned tonight and my new plasticard was in my postbox. A full-on "allowed to drive" is nice to have, but some useful info for others.

I expected (and was told by my escuela) that my medico and licence renewal would only last until my 65th bidet. Nope. I passed everything in Apr '22, my licence is valid until Apr '32 - even though I will be 65y.o. (when another medico could be required - and I have no objection to that) in 2030.

Just posting up for info.