Leave car six months

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Leave car six months

Postby phototext » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:50 pm

I’ve probably asked this before but can I drive my uk car down in November leave it in the Urbanizacion while I fly back and forth for my 90 days then drive it back to the uk in April?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Leave car six months

Postby elusive » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:00 pm

It can be in spain for no more than 6 months yes. Just make sure its legal ie taxed,MOT etc

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:02 pm

Careful on your timing: the rac (and others) say "Vehicles from the UK can be temporarily imported into Spain for up to six months in any period of 12 months."
You should make sure it will be taxed and have a valid UK MoT certificate (if necessary) covering all the time it is in Spain, and that it has valid insurance, even if it is not on the public road.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:44 pm

Thank guys, my SLK has sat in the garage all winter as the rural roads here are either covered in ice or salt and always mud now the SUVs simply drive on the verge and the tractors are too big for the road. It could be in Spain. I think getting insurance might be the biggest problem for six months in Spain, saga did do it before brexit. I’d keep a copy of the return ferry booking in the car.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:18 am

Hi phototext.

Saga still do Extended cover.................a lot of the others only inclucde 30 or 90 days in their standard comprehensive policies.

https://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance/eu-cover
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.