Speeding fine

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Speeding fine

Postby phototext » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:00 pm

I have received a fine from DGT. It seems I missed a 60kpm sign on a country road while driving a hire car.

How can I pay it? I’m not in Spain and online payment does not seem to be an option.

Thanks

Mark

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Speeding fine

Postby markwilding » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:28 pm

It can be paid online.
More info here
https://sanciones.info/en/2018/03/how-t ... rking-fine
As in the UK, only half is paid if paid within a certain period/.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:48 pm

Thanks Mark, Sussed it. I'll now be a travelling road block as the fine was for a 60km sign at a corner. Everybody in Spain seems to ignore all speed limit signs even on the motorways. I'm never in a hurry but don't want to be a dangerous slow coach! Still this is the first in about 5000km

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:34 am

Keep the email receipt of your payment, either as "new/unread" or in a "DGT" saved folder for quite a while. I'm sure they're better now, but I once paid a (parking, years ago) fine in August and several months later was told I could be taken to court for non-payment. I went to the Nacional office and had quite a lengthy. They demanded I produce a receipt (from over 6 months ago) and I pointed out (a) how the heck did I get a hire car out of the compound and back to the alquiler if I hadn't paid? and (b) I could quite clearly see my signature on a release form in their file on the desk ("that's not important" - of course). Nothing further came of it in my case, but it's as well to keep the record.

For info: if the 60 sign is directly under the triangle for a bend (or series of bends), the 60 max ceases to apply as soon as that danger is negotiated. There will not necessarily be a new limit sign or the "end of restrictions/national speed limit applies" sign. You just should know. That's ok for a single bend warning but not so great if the warning was for a series of bends and you think they're all done but "speed camera says no"

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:39 am

I have paid a one online but asked had asked a friend to go in the bank in Malaga and pay it for me, as it wasn’t in his name he wasn’t allowed. I wasn’t really keen on giving my card details as I know how the Spanish operate. Take money from account and argue about it later.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:56 am

That makes no difference if you have a bank account in Spain as they can take the fine from that anyway. i don't know if Brexit has changed this but the problem is that they can recover the fine from foreign citizens in their own country so it is better to pay.The other way around, is not possible because in the UK it's the driver which need to be proven, making it more difficult whereas in many other countries it's the person responsible for the car

It's very easy to complain about the fact the Spanish can take the money from an account but I actually would prefer that to what happens in the UK where if you do nothing or simply forget, the fine goes up, goes to court which incurs extra costs ending up in a situation where bailiffs can enter your house and take stuff.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:38 pm

I decided to pay with my uk clarity credit card and use my passport number. I downloaded a pdf receipt, the promised email receipt never came. It’s printed and attached to the paperwork. I’m hoping there’s no more to follow as I had a few issues with the sat nav sending me to no go zones.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:30 am

markwilding wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:56 am That makes no difference if you have a bank account in Spain as they can take the fine from that anyway. i don't know if Brexit has changed this but the problem is that they can recover the fine from foreign citizens in their own country so it is better to pay.The other way around, is not possible because in the UK it's the driver which need to be proven, making it more difficult whereas in many other countries it's the person responsible for the car

It's very easy to complain about the fact the Spanish can take the money from an account but I actually would prefer that to what happens in the UK where if you do nothing or simply forget, the fine goes up, goes to court which incurs extra costs ending up in a situation where bailiffs can enter your house and take stuff.
I expect that there have to be a court case and conviction before money would betaken from a bank account of an individual in another country...
I don't think speeding would be on the list of crimes...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:14 pm

A fine incurred in Spain by a UK resident would get passed to a debt collectors there so If I were you, I wouldn't test it. In Spain, they can and do take unpaid fines from bank accounts.
More info here.
https://www.insurance4carhire.com/blog/ ... -in-europe

What happens if I don’t pay the fine?

Once you’re back in the UK, do not assume that the speeding ticket is void. UK motorists who break the speed limit while driving in places like France, Germany or Switzerland can still be chased for penalties and fines once they are back on home soil. Likewise, if you attempt to hire a care in another foreign country, you may be refused as the DVLA can pass on the details of drivers from the UK who owe a penalty to countries that request them.

As in the UK, if you don’t pay a speeding ticket, you’ll be penalised. The longer you leave it, the higher the penalties become. Failure to pay after a reasonable amount of time will ultimately lead to a trial. UK drivers can also be banned or even jailed in the UK for speeding offences committed abroad.

Since the introduction of the cross-border enforcement in 2017, it’s much easier for European countries to prosecute UK offenders even after they have returned home, so we’d recommend paying the fine as soon as it’s issued.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:10 pm

Pay with UK credit card if you have one. Any unfair charges and you can get a refund through charge back. I works I did it once.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... Z2d4z3nT8q