Searching for a matricula

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Trooperman
Resident

Searching for a matricula

Postby Trooperman » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:57 pm

Is there a Spanish Govt. web site that tells you details about a car's MOT/ITV status once you have entered the registration number?.....like the UK Govt. site?

I ask because I have received, erroneously, a letter from the (Malaga) car tax authorities. telling me that someone (who doesn't and hasn't ever lived at my address) owes three years car tax!
I will, of course, return the letter marked desconocido, but as said letter has the vehicle's matriculation, I thought I'd look it up to see what vehicle they're talking about!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Searching for a matricula

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:30 pm

Hi Trooperman,

Sort of had a Tread about this the other day..........

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=41140

Any detail info attaches a fee........... :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:41 pm

Trooperman wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:57 pm Is there a Spanish Govt. web site that tells you details about a car's MOT/ITV status once you have entered the registration number?.....like the UK Govt. site?

I ask because I have received, erroneously, a letter from the (Malaga) car tax authorities. telling me that someone (who doesn't and hasn't ever lived at my address) owes three years car tax!
I will, of course, return the letter marked desconocido, but as said letter has the vehicle's matriculation, I thought I'd look it up to see what vehicle they're talking about!
Is this a scam/ phishing letter?
Isn't car tax paid to your local town hall, assuming your car is registered to your address.
Have you recently bought the car from someone who lived in Malaga?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:06 am

Thanks, Enrique, I missed that topic. Don't think I'll pay a penny (cent!) for something that's nowt to do with me beyond curiosity!

....and Gerryh: thanks for your concern, but it's no scam. The tax is levied and paid to the ayuntamiento, but the administration of it, in Malaga province, is done by the Diputacion de Malaga and whilst normally we recieve one of those three-fold, self-sealed, grey paper reminders each year, this letter deals with past non-payment and comes in a different format. Only the address is anything to do with me, the addressee and the vehicle are unknown to me! Interestingly, however, the addressee is clearly a British "type" name (or should I say anglo-saxon "type") so something has gone awry and the correos was obviously content to put it in my letter box!

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:36 am

This gets more and more curious! I've now received a text message confirmimg an ITV appointment in Malaga for yet another car I don't, and never have, owned!
It appears that not only has someone given my address as the "owner" of a car that's not mine, but now someone has given my phone number as the "owner" of another car that I have never had!

So far, I cannot see that I am being compromised in any way, but it's way beyond a coincidence eh?

Anyone else had similar wierd happenings with cars?

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:42 pm

Am I the only one here thinking "Identity Theft" ?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:44 am

scotty wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:42 pm Am I the only one here thinking "Identity Theft" ?
well it wont help the real owner .. who isnt getting their reminders for the ITV :lol:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.