Dashcams in spain ? anyone got one ?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Dashcams in spain ? anyone got one ?

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:03 pm

Now that I´ve got the new car an that, i´m looking at putting a dash cam in it. maybe a front one, or maybe a front and rear, im not sure. I spend my life in the car really, so it would be a good investment.

Anyone using one ?

The guy at work has an xiaomai one ? branded as a 70mai - on amazon here, for 44,95€ https://www.amazon.es/70mai-Control-Ver ... 0376&psc=1 which seems a decent price, considering it has night vision, voice control, and an app to connect to it while the car is parked, and you can look at the pictures on your phone etc.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dashcams in spain ? anyone got one ?

Postby olive » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:29 am

I had one on the 4x4 but stopped using it as I was under the impression that there were legal privacy issues in Spain.

On the plus side , you would be able to make a fortune on Utube with video clips of errant drivers!

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:09 pm

Hola,

Yes I had one from new about eight years ago - perfectly legal here BUT NOT in Portugal - you really have to check if changing country. I had a near miss with a motorcycle that had no brakes but was two up (young Spanish lads) and was grateful for the fact i could prove if needed i was stationary before they passed me by on the wrong side - the pillion passenger in shorts had a rather nasty graze as the brushed the hedge to get past me.

Mine comes on automatically when i turn the ignition on which i consider a boon.

Davexf

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:22 pm

dxf wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:09 pm Hola,

Yes I had one from new about eight years ago - perfectly legal here BUT NOT in Portugal - you really have to check if changing country. I had a near miss with a motorcycle that had no brakes but was two up (young Spanish lads) and was grateful for the fact i could prove if needed i was stationary before they passed me by on the wrong side - the pillion passenger in shorts had a rather nasty graze as the brushed the hedge to get past me.

Mine comes on automatically when i turn the ignition on which i consider a boon.

Davexf
Thanks for that dxf, I will remember to unplug it as i go over the bridge if i get one.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:25 pm

So what happens if you have a tesla in Portugal?

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:26 am

phototext wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:25 pm So what happens if you have a tesla in Portugal?
You have to disable Sentry mode, I would imagine, and ensure your USB stick isn't installed.

Crazy that dashcams are illegal when they catch so much poor driving and crime.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:32 am

ebyard wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:26 am
phototext wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:25 pm So what happens if you have a tesla in Portugal?
Crazy that dashcams are illegal when they catch so much poor driving and crime.
Hola,

It is illegal under the protection of data laws - you are recording data about people (that are in cars etc) without their permission.

I understand the frustration, but each country in the EU can make the laws as they see fit - Spain allows dashcams

Davexf