Speeding fines

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Speeding fines

Postby ebyard » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:30 am

Hi

I rented a car (am not resident) and, it seems, I have been caught speeding. No idea where or when, as I have yet to receive any paperwork, but the rental car firm are trying to charge my card 50€. My card is "frozen", so it will be declined (I freeze the card when not in use to prevent fraud).

I believe you get a discount for paying within 20 days, but cannot find *when* this 20 day period starts? It has been over a month since I was in Spain, and so the offence more than 20 days ago.

I assume I just have to wait and see if a letter shows up?

Thanks!

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Speeding fines

Postby ebyard » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:01 pm

Apologies - I later found another thread with much the same issue and some good info on reply.

I'd still be interested to hear if people think a non-resident buying a car is a good idea.....!

Thanks!
Ed

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:09 pm

ebyard wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:01 pm Apologies - I later found another thread with much the same issue and some good info on reply.

I'd still be interested to hear if people think a non-resident buying a car is a good idea.....!

Thanks!
Ed
I find it cheaper to drive over in April/ May and drive back in October. I then have a car with no worry for 6 months. The rest of the year I bus or taxi but always need a car in the hot summer months.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:40 pm

costakid's method is no use for non-residents as they are restricted by the 90-in-180 rules.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:15 am

Costakid is also non resident and is also restricted to 90/180, i doubt he would drive his car over and leave it for 6 months then drive it back if it wasn't worth it.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:09 am

The person is restricted but the car can be in Spain for 6 months before having to either be replated or taken out of the country.

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:13 am

I was thinking of buying a Spanish plated car and keeping it at the airport or at my property. I'm fed up with hire car companies trying to scam you all the time; and I visit probably 4 times a year and spend 1000€ on rentals. So buying a car that I'm not too precious over being scratched is tempting, even if it doesn't work out any cheaper. So long as I can get the ITV done and taxes paid easily (can that be done via direct debit?!) then I think it might be a good idea.

My family also visit so the vehicle can be used by them, too...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:48 pm

elusive wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:09 am The person is restricted but the car can be in Spain for 6 months before having to either be replated or taken out of the country.
Correct. As Pamela pointed out I am restricted to 90 in 180 but not my car. Doing the April/May trip and leaving for 6 months saves me money and works for me. The car picks up a few marks obviousley but I have a car for Spain LHD that I am not too worried about. I do keep it mechanically A1 though.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:28 pm

ebyard wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:13 am I was thinking of buying a Spanish plated car and keeping it at the airport or at my property. I'm fed up with hire car companies trying to scam you all the time; and I visit probably 4 times a year and spend 1000€ on rentals. So buying a car that I'm not too precious over being scratched is tempting, even if it doesn't work out any cheaper. So long as I can get the ITV done and taxes paid easily (can that be done via direct debit?!) then I think it might be a good idea.

My family also visit so the vehicle can be used by them, too...
If you leave the car at the airport with any of the parking companies in malaga then every time its collected it´d be washed, jump started if needed, tyres pumped up if needed - most of them will do valeting and ITV´s, and take it to a garage for servicing - for a charge, obviously. All you would have to worry about is the road tax (depends on your town when its due, but can be done by direct debit). At around €650 / year for secure parking with those services avaliable, its cheaper than a hire car, but you´d have to buy the car in the first place ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.