Selling your car privately

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Selling your car privately

Postby elusive » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:33 am

How easy is it to do all the paperwork yourself.Can it all be done in one go/day? Any recommendations for sites with all the info. Or is it better to do it through a gestor

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Selling your car privately

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:49 am

You could try compramostucoche.es. They give you an online valuation and they do all the paperwork.

Sid

Supersue
Tourist

Postby Supersue » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:45 am

My OH says it's the purchaser who does all the work. He bought a motorcycle from a friend and the friend just gave him the documents and a printed sheet which had all his Id info on and stated that he was selling to my OH. My OH went to Trafico for a form, made an appointment for later, went back and completed (seems to remember he may have had to visit a bank. ) He later sold the motorcycle to a gent who came with two copies stating that he was purchasing from my OH. All his Id info was on the forms and he just added my OH's Id info, they both signed and dated both copies, kept one each, gave the gent the bike documents and that was it. He says it's insurance if the buyer picks up any fines before he's completed with Trafico.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:58 pm

The danger in that is if the purchaser does not complete the paperwork and then the car remains in the seller's name, liable to any fines etc. I would rather go to a gestoria together with the purchaser and then the gestoria will be able to check if there's any debts on the car before completing the paperwork properly for both parties. If you are close to a trafico office then I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to DIY, but we're not so when we sold privately we all went to a local gestoria. Also there's the matter of the transfer tax to be paid as well (and the question of who is going to pay it, we almost lost the sale when the purchaser found out how much it was, and we ended up splitting the cost).

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:00 pm

Thanks all. out of intrest how much was the transfer tax wicksey. A garage has offered us a reasonable amount i presume thats all in? Although i will try to sell privately as i need as much as i can get for it and some neighbours seem intrested. But not looking to get rid for a couple of months unless a miracle happens and i can find somewhere to live.

Looking at the prices for the same make model etc etc as mine on Internet garage sites the second hand prices are crazy some are only going for a couple of grand less than we bought new 8 and half years ago

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:24 pm

I sold my 5+ yr old car though compramostucoche.com for 70% of the new price. My wife's car of the same age went for nearly 80%

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:38 pm

The site Sid mentions sounds pretty good and presumably they do everything and pay the taxes? Back in 2003 the transfer tax for our 3 year old small petrol 4x4 was about 450€ which was a lot back then. If you can sell to a dealer like compramostucoche it sounds like an easier route.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:24 am

Yes, they did all the paperwork and paid all the fees. I shortly got a confirmation from DGT to the effect that the car was no longer in my name.

I would give them a 100% recommendation, but there is one proviso. The condition and description of your car must be exactly right. They inspect the car very thoroughly and test drive it.If they find any fault with it, they may reduce the offer that you got online.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:39 pm

Yeah i got a quote from them but it was more than 1,200 less than a garage has offered me.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:44 pm

Wicksey wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:58 pm The danger in that is if the purchaser does not complete the paperwork and then the car remains in the seller's name, liable to any fines etc. I would rather go to a gestoria together with the purchaser and then the gestoria will be able to check if there's any debts on the car before completing the paperwork properly for both parties.
Indeed, the facebook forums are full of such stories. Including from people who sold their car to professionals, garages included, and are still getting bills years later.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 pm

In theory the Spanish system is far better than in the UK when you just hand over the car. If it's done properly here then you have to show ID to prove you are the registered owner entitled to sell it, and also that the buyer's details are properly registered. I think people from the UK are caught out by bureaucracy of how it should be completed here and just hand it over with little knowledge of what should be done. No excuse when a professional is involved though. We have bought two cars from car hire companies and cannot fault their efficiency.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:49 pm

Another quick question! When you sell the car (will get the gestor to do the paperwork) does the new owner have to sign anything?. We have a potential buyer,friends who have a holiday home here but im thinking of complications depending on when we want to sell and when they will be here inorder to do the paperwork