Peugeot Dashboard Lights

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Peugeot Dashboard Lights

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:53 am

I get my Peugeot 206 serviced once a year and afterwards the dashboard lights seem to take on a life of their own. I have various lights come on and go off at various times, not always the same or in the same order or the same way. The 'service' light comes on regularly even though the car has just been serviced. 'Adblue' comes on but the garage did add blue. It's driving me crazy.

The garage is good but when I try to explain about the lights and that, to me, the actual problem are the lights themselves and not anything mechanical, I am met with blank looks. What can I do about the lights?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Peugeot Dashboard Lights

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:23 pm

Hi, Lavanda,

Please post year and model, I'll look later as out on a job.
Google year and model dashboard lights
If u not got a manual then u will have info tell garage.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:41 pm

Peugeot 208, year 2016

Lights that come on and go off etc:
The Service light in orange
Adblue with wavy line underneath in orange
The Engine Autodiagnosis System Warning Light in orange

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:33 pm

Hi Lavanda,
Possible cause garage not reset the Service milage back to zero. You can check by Scrolling through on the dashboard settings.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:26 pm

We find that 6 / 10 times the garage that we use doesn't reset the service light after a 'service' .. there's no 'set' service unless you use a main stealer - our garage normally asks us what we want done on the car.. the customers always say 'well a service, I dunno?' We have to go back and tell them to change the oil, filters, spark plugs etc...

It could be 'lost in translation' ?

For example in ford, they charge x for a 'oil service' but that's literally just the oil and oil filter, they don't look at anything else at all. What we call 'a service' in the UK is seen very differently over here.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:29 pm

I know there's a sequence of buttons to press in a vw / audi / seat that resets the service light. Google it for a Peugeot?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:57 pm

Hi Lavanda,

Service Reset.................peugot 2016 208 service reset

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... 9dWC4Aw_39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-DSvfUDcM

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:42 pm

I watched the links and that is exactly what happened in my car. I did it. Why on earth didn't the garage do it?
Whatever. THANK YOU for your responses and the solution.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:20 pm

Hi Lavanda,
Thanks for your update.......good you got sorted.

A General note on Servicing............

Manufactures will specify both Mileage and Time.......... Example

Renault Kangoo 2010 1.5dCi ............ Cambelt 72,000 miles or 6 years for replacement.

Cmpared with...........

Peugot 208 ...................All 208 diesel engines are fitted with a timing belt, which will need replacing after 10 years or 112,500 miles, while brake fluid will need changing every two years and engine coolant every four years or 80,000 miles.

Unless you're using a Main Dealer and getting the service book stamped the local independents will only do what you tell them.

Service Schedules will be in the Manual or can be searched for on-line.

N.B. All the above are EXAMPLES............... specific Models and year will vary..................

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm

When I had my Seat, they also didn't bother to rest the service lights. That reminds me, I have to book my car in for its first service,

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:09 pm

My opel is under garentee until the end of this month, but after that I will be servicing it myself. Oil and filters every 6 months. I do alot of milage.

My gf has her 2010 ibiza, I've been servicing that for the last 7 years.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:52 am

Our Suzuki needs very little doing each service according to its handbook. It is mainly oil and filter, and sometimes air filter but nothing more. We used a local garage that is somehow accredited to carry out services on new cars in order to keep the warrenty going rather than use the main dealer. The services cost well under 100€ whereas I know of people being charges 300€ for a similar service by main dealers.

Glad you got it sorted Lavanda. We've got fairly simple cars, but even then, grappling with changing the time twice a year through various computer menus is fun each time. Plus our Suzuki is very sensitive to its tyre pressures and so that warning goes off every year, despite the tyres being checked by my OH on occasions.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:47 pm

I'm dreading the all-electric cars with windows and hand brakes and all sorts of things that can, and will, go wrong.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:52 pm

We bought the most straighforward new car we could get Lavanda. A Suzuki Vitara 4x2 four years back. Not too many gizmos and still has knobs for heating etc. Worst car I ever had as a hire car was a Citroen Cactus with a screen that you had to tap tap swipe swipe for the heating and fan controls which I hated trying to do as I was driving. Give me an old fashioned buttons and knobs anyday :crazy: :lol: (although I do prefer electric windows).

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:47 pm

It's just that I like driving and living in Extremadura it is important to be able to get around. If cars continue to go down the electric-computer route I will have to 'keep up' or, one day, find there are no 'old' cars left to drive. Progress should include choices but it does not seem to do that — just like computers, phones, banking and everything else, really.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:43 pm

I dont think i will be going down the electric route, if i can manage to drive fuel cars for the next 10+ yrs that will do for me...I have nothing against them except price. :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:01 pm

I have bought a hybrid electric petrol car and it’s the best car I have ever had. Quiet and acceleration is incredibly fast and smooth. In fact, the makes driving much more enjoyable. I agree newer cars have more features and that is the case with this one but that’s the same with petrol ones as well due to the onboard computers One of the best new features on mine is the automatic handbrake means hill starts are really easy, useful around here due to the hilly terrain.

Progress doesn’t always mean more choice nor does it always mean improvements. It usually means times they are a changing, it’s the way of the world and always has been. There have always been Luddites going back to the times of, well, the luddites.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:29 pm

That's a hopeful and encouraging post, Mark. It's really weird as I can do almost anything on my MacBook, ipad and iphone and i feel confident about most things as, these days, I can look things up and get a YouTube video that shows mw how to do almost anything that I am not sure about. However, I do get alarmed at just how FAST everything changes. These days. keeping up is a constant occupation. Change has always happened, agreed, but it's the speed of that change that worries me.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:42 pm

I try not to worry about things I can’t change.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:52 pm

An update ... the lights got sorted out but only for a few days. The Service and Adblue are back along with an orange symbol that tells me something needs attention. I took the car to a local garage I have used many times in the past and they had the car all day. There's a problem with some bit talking to some other bit and it's €1,500 just for the bit as it's an electrical/computer bit. The garage is not convinced that is the real problem and they suggest simply disconnecting the Adblue system completely. Well, that will certainly get rid of the lights but it sounds illegal to me. HOWEVER, it appears that people do actually disconnect the Adblue and, of course, older diesel cars do not have the Adblue at all.

This is what I found and I can understand it :

https://117speed.co.uk/adblue-removal-e ... d-to-know/

but is this the way to go?