buying a car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

buying a car

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:04 am

I have decided to buy a Spanish car. I am buying from a friends Dad who has gone back to the UK to die sadly he only has days left. The son has agreed a deal via his mother to sell me the car. They won’t accept the money for the vehicle until I have collected it and are happy. Because of the situation with the father he will have passed before I pay for the car as I cant collect it as the family are in the UK and the keys are locked away in Spain.

Will this cause a problem when i finally get the car and go to transfer ownership?

Do the Spanish want to see proof of payment or do they just need the papers to do the transfer?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: buying a car

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:04 am

Costa,

Sorry to hear about your friends dad.

my advice, have "him" sign the transfer, have "him" sign a reciept for payment for a fair market value and take a copy of his NIE / TIE.

If you try and do it after, they will want death certificates, herencia paperwork etc etc.

obviously if he has to be present at the transfer thats a bit difficult - something to say that hes sick and cant get out of bed maybe?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:13 am

I have his NIF number and a copy of the passport. He cant sign anything as he has days to live. The car is the last thing on his wife’s mind but the son is thinking down the road as his mum will not come back to Spain.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:23 pm

**cough** it was a rhetorical "him" signing, but not something we would normally recommend on this forum. I understand that it couldn't possibly be him that signs anything.

Is the paperwork even in his name ? Maybe it's in his wife's?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:37 pm

costakid wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:04 am I have decided to buy a Spanish car. I am buying from a friends Dad who has gone back to the UK to die sadly he only has days left. The son has agreed a deal via his mother to sell me the car. They won’t accept the money for the vehicle until I have collected it and are happy. Because of the situation with the father he will have passed before I pay for the car as I cant collect it as the family are in the UK and the keys are locked away in Spain.

Will this cause a problem when i finally get the car and go to transfer ownership?

Do the Spanish want to see proof of payment or do they just need the papers to do the transfer?

Why do you not ask your friend (son) to tramsfer to his name for the time being, i think the teansfer cost be minimal and that way it takes you out the family short-term circumstances out of the deal. Personally i would be uncomfortable at buying from a person who is about to live in another place...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:11 am

Cádiz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:37 pm Personally i would be uncomfortable at buying from a person who is about to live in another place...
Why? It happens all the time.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:34 am

costakid wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:11 am
Cádiz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:37 pm Personally i would be uncomfortable at buying from a person who is about to live in another place...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:50 pm

Cádiz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:34 am
costakid wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:11 am
??

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:34 pm

[/quote]

Where does it happen that people want to sell the property of a person who has decided to leave? I'm not surprised he wants to leave these people...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:38 am

Cádiz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:34 pm Why? It happens all the time.
Where does it happen that people want to sell the property of a person who has decided to leave? I'm not surprised he wants to leave these people...
[/quote]

You have some serious issues. The guy is going to pass very soon, the wife has taken him back to the uk as both nearly 90 and has asked her son to dispose of a car. Show a bit of compassion you fool.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:08 am

costakid wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:38 am
Cádiz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:34 pm Why? It happens all the time.
You have some serious issues. The guy is going to pass very soon, the wife has taken him back to the uk as both nearly 90 and has asked her son to dispose of a car. Show a bit of compassion you fool.
[/quote]

You should nor have posted this, there is no way i would conduct any business under these circumstances so the son and you should have left it. You are talking about a car and these are people, the wife is doing her best she can. Compassion? get a life. I hope you get a goopd deal...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:55 am

What Costakid is doing is perfectly reasonable and in agreement with the son.

Unless you can give constructive advice, please leave your opinions out of this thread.

Sid

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:11 pm

El Cid wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:55 am What Costakid is doing is perfectly reasonable and in agreement with the son.

Unless you can give constructive advice, please leave your opinions out of this thread.

Sid
"Show a bit of compassion you fool" message to me.

I think your talking to the wrong person, the OP asked for opinion and i gave mine and he questioned my compassion so i will not have that.
If you agree thats fine, i wouldn't do it. Let him buy ther car.

Regards.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:56 am

Cadiz, your like a dog with a bone.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:27 am

My concern is that if it is in the name of the father who is sadly so ill, how can the transfer take place if he dies? Isn't it then part of his estate and does it have to pass to his heirs first before being sold on? Not sure how this works. Our friend whose car we keep an eye on, has recently died and I'm not sure what is going to happen now (they already changed the ownership of the house into the childrens' names many years ago, but the car has remained in the parent's name).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:22 am

If he dies before the transfer, then it will get complicated. As Wicksey says, the whole IHT thing will have to be completed before it is possible to sell the car.

Unless it is a very special car at a really good price. I would look elsewhere.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:42 pm

El Cid wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:22 am If he dies before the transfer, then it will get complicated. As Wicksey says, the whole IHT thing will have to be completed before it is possible to sell the car.

Unless it is a very special car at a really good price. I would look elsewhere.

Sid
He is still alive and I have paid for the car now. There is a paper trail as done by bank transfer.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:38 pm

I don't see a problem if costakid has already paid for the car and there is a paper trail...I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong...His wife asked her son to sell the car, understandable if she has no intention of returning to Spain. Plus one less thing to worry about at her age.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:56 pm

So long as the owner has signed the transfer of ownership it’s OK. The problem with cars is that you can’t ignore them when you do the IHT paperwork like other items because they are registered.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:18 am

Pamela1 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:38 pm I don't see a problem if costakid has already paid for the car and there is a paper trail...I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong...His wife asked her son to sell the car, understandable if she has no intention of returning to Spain. Plus one less thing to worry about at her age.
I'm not sure that is enough here. As Sid says, it is the transfer papers that need signing. I'm always amazed that in the UK you hand over your car to someone and need no ID to change ownership, unlike here where you need proof of ID to show you're the owner selling it, and ID to re-register the car officially in your name at trafico.