Car leasing

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Car leasing

Postby olive » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:26 pm

I am thinking of chopping my car in for a newer one.

Never thought about it before but leasing might be the way forward. Anyone got experience or knowledge ?

Is it as simple as a percent non refundable deposit and so much a month for three years then you hand it back.assuming it isn’t damaged and you haven’t exceeded their annual mileage.

Who pays the insurance?

Is there an industry standard standard formula?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car leasing

Postby costakid » Wed May 01, 2024 9:00 am

olive wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:26 pm I am thinking of chopping my car in for a newer one.

Never thought about it before but leasing might be the way forward. Anyone got experience or knowledge ?

Is it as simple as a percent non refundable deposit and so much a month for three years then you hand it back.assuming it isn’t damaged and you haven’t exceeded their annual mileage.

Who pays the insurance?

Is there an industry standard standard formula?
In the uk Peugeot do a you "only pay for fuel deal", not sure if thats available in Spain. Normally you agree a rental term and annual milage and as long as the car is in good order you hand it back and either walk away or go again with a new car. Not sure it’s something I would go with in Spain as you never see a straight car and you could be up for some big costs on hand back if it’s knocked about. Exceeding the miles carries a cost of around 5p a mile in the uk.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed May 01, 2024 9:44 am

Hi olive,
Plenty of info on Web ..........until a Member that has done it sees your post.

https://www.leaseplan.com/en-es/private-lease/

https://www.expatride.com/blog/4983/spain/

https://groovyrelocation.com/car-leasing-in-spain/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 01, 2024 9:49 am

VW do a scheme called MyRenting which looks very flexible.

The other most common scheme is PCP (Personal Contract Purchase). 90% of private purchases in the UK use this. Pay a deposit up front then monthly payments for up to 4 years. At the end you pay the balance, give the car back or buy another. Most manufacturers offer this in Spain.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 am

Thanks for those links.

Had a good look at the VW renting site. Half the vehicles available I had never heard of. Gone are the days when one knew every car model on the road! Now you are doing well to know all the manufacturers.

I couldnt find a like for like swap. One lower powered and one much higher powered ( 70,000!). I like a well specc’d car but another problem is cars manufactured from July will be equipped with nanny state gadgets. I am not quite ready for that just yet.

Food for thought. Too much choice in our very consumer led society!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu May 02, 2024 5:08 pm

Just buy a second hand car, rather than leasing in Spain with the stress of parking and returning to seeing your car has been damaged. :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 02, 2024 6:24 pm

olive wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 am I couldnt find a like for like swap. One lower powered and one much higher powered ( 70,000!). I like a well specc’d car but another problem is cars manufactured from July will be equipped with nanny state gadgets. I am not quite ready for that just yet.
iety!
So what sort of car are you looking for?

What are these "nanny state" gadgets you are talking about - I thought that most of them were already standard.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 02, 2024 9:10 pm

https://www.surinenglish.com/spain/new- ... 20-nt.html

DDD

ISA

Not too bothered about BAIID as drinking and driving dont really mix. Finally I am not too keen on cars being fitted with black boxes.

We have a reversing camera. Great gadget as an aid to driving but it went faulty. Talked to the dealer about it and he said “ ah we can change that for 603 euros. We have one in the spares dept and we had to do one last week”. The problem with all this clever tech is when ( and it will) itgoes faulty you have real problems. The camera sticking up after use actually stops you getting in the boot. Quite an inconvenience. I took it off and gave it a damn good clean and lubr and it works again.

All the interlocks are enough to drive a sane person mad. Pull up to throw a rock off the road and open the door and lean out and on comes the handbrake.

Have been looking at a Golf/Octavia/ Leon estate DSG 150CV plus.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 02, 2024 10:59 pm

Almost all those items have been installed on cars for a long time. I bought SEAT Ateca 7 years ago and it had almost all of them. Our current VW is just over a year old and the only ones missing are the Alcocheck and the black box. Most of them can be disabled.

As for your choice of cars, I have had 3 VAG cars with that engine and gearbox option and it is one of the best choices you could make. Don't forget the Skoda Scala. If you opt to go down the SUV/Crossover route, VAG has a huge range of options.

Sid