Spanish Registered Car - A Private Purchase

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spanish Registered Car - A Private Purchase

Postby poshtotti » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:06 pm

Hi

We are looking at buying a car. Our cars have previously been put onto Spanish plates so this is a system I know nothing about. :?

The car we are looking at is privately owned on Spanish Plates.
I know there is a transfer fee, who pays this, the seller or the buyer?
How much is the transfer? (Is it done on the cars value?)
How long does the transfer take?

Any information would be appreciated as we don't want to part with a load of cash & have a car registered in someone elses name!

Many thanks in advance.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi Poshtotti,
When we sold our car in the Canary's the buyer had to pay the tax and this was calculated on the value of the car. He also paid extra than the price we sold the car for as they revalued higher than our actual price. We sold ours to a Spanish friend so gave him a good price (perhaps not relevant) The calculation/ Tax and transfer all happened on the same day, although I am unsure if he was given paperwork immediately. Not sure if this is the same here, but given that the Canary's are Spanish owned, it should be.
Lorraine

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:21 pm

When we bought a secondhand Spanish car, the price agreed with the vendor included the transfer tax.
I seem to recall it went like this: we both went along to a gestor, the vendor paid the transfer tax money to the gestor who did her stuff with the paperwork. A few weeks later the new paperwork showing the car re-registered to me was available to collect from the gestor's office.

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:28 pm

That's right , the purchaser pays the cost of the transfer, it is vitally important that when selling a car to ensure the transfer is done , do not rely on the purchaser saying that he will do it as if he does not then you are still liable for fines and taxes that the new owner incurrs , if the car is involved in a serious accident and the driver is not insured you may still find that as the registered owner you are liable. I always go straight to the Gestor with the new purchaser and can sleep at night.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:23 am

I see poshtotti is in estepona, where there is an excellent gestoria for car transfers who will keep things right. Tel 952794769. They will give you the ful story about car transfers, taxes, paperwork, etc, and they speak english too.
Slainte,
JohnP.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:53 am

Thank you everyone!

I have just called the telephone no. you gave JP, very helpful people, thank you!

For anyone else looking for information on this matter...........

The transfer tax is a 4% charge of the fiscal value of the car + approx €130 for Traffico & Historia charges.

It will take 3-4 weeks to get the official paperwork through in our name but the car can be driven immediately & legally once you have the temporary document from the Historia.

Thanks again