Vets

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
jennyshaw
Resident

Vets

Postby jennyshaw » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:21 pm

I have just taken my dog to the vet here in the UK and it cost me £51.65 for the consultation and some Metacam for him, the bottle size is 1.5 ml/mg.

The vet has said that if we want we could get him a pet passport.

The question is do you know if they sell Metacam over in Spain and would the price be the same or more or less expensive, I think for the bottle alone it is £35 the rest was for the vet to look at him for about 3 mins.

Are the vets fees any cheaper in Spain?

Are any of your animals on Metacam, what do you think of it?
Jenny

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:25 pm

Hiya Jenny, have a look at Hillybilly's thread a few posts down in this section.........she's just had great service at a great price in Spain.

Regards,

Kenny

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 pm

Hi Kenny thanks I have just noticed it.

But I would still like to know if anyone as any dealings with the drug Metacam in Spain.

I'm not sure on the side effects also, has anyone any knowledge of it?
Jenny

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:09 pm

never heard of Metcam, but I had 6 feral cats and had them neutered, six for the price of four, would not get that in the UK.

I am sure whatever the vet has in UK the vets here would have.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 pm

What not get what in Uk? Feral cats?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:07 pm

Jenny, if you Google for this drug, you will find a thread about its side effects.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:44 pm

DUH Frank, Metcam :roll:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:02 pm

jennyshaw-the vets bills are much cheaper in Spain than UK-Most of the animal drugs are actually human medicine purchased from the chemist.
I will find out the price of metacam for you from my vets,as we are due to go for a rabies booster(not me -the dog :shock: )I will get back in touch as soon as i find out. :wink:

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Why don't you just buy it online? Its far cheaper and as for the side effects I would have thought your vet would have advised but as far as I'm aware its an antibiotic.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:21 pm

Jennyshaw..yes you can buy Metacam here in Spain. I have a 15 year old Border Collie who every so often has to be given this. I have a 10ml bottle in front of me that cost 7.50 euros, but you can buy larger bottles although not sure of the price.

Vets bills are certainly cheaper here in Spain as we usually have to take her every 3 months for some old age treatment that lasts a week and we pay 9 euros per visit.

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks for your replies guys.

Faire i cannot buy online because it needs a presciption to do so,its for pain relief.

Antonia, my dog is the same he is about 13 years old and suffers from arthritis, the Metacam you have sounds cheaper than I pay, by the way what is the old age treatment?

To be honest didn't think they would be a chance of us being able to bring him to Spain until I asked on Sunday, thought he would be too old, but the vet said that there isn't any upper age limit only a lower age limit because of the rabies vaccine

Princess Peach our vet said that Metacam is poisonous to humans as is aspirin/paracetamol poisonous to animals, we had given our dog some child's aspirin and the vet said the dog was lucky not to get any side affects.
Jenny

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:03 pm

If you've got the prescription you can buy it online. A very simple Google show 100ml being sold for £23.99.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:24 pm

i would say99% of the medicine that the vet has prescibed has been from the chemist..for both of my dogs..
However he has also prescribed some /given it to me from the practice.
I would suppose there are certain human ones that you cannot use.
Im going to the vets tonight and i will ask him-what price is metacam,and how much do you get in a bottle?

would i be right in saying that the more you pay...the higher the pain relief?

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:40 pm

Jennyshaw... my dog suffers from arthritis and about every 3 months she starts to struggle with standing up and so she has vitamins and cortazone injections. Last time she did spend the night on a drip and we thought her time was up as she couldn't stand at all...but next day she was like a puppy again and touch wood is still OK. She goes onto Metacam after treatment for about 10 days for pain relief. The vet thinks maintaining her exercise is very important....trouble is she also has cataracts and can't hear properly...when the vet thinks treatment is becoming too frequent and not working she will let us know :cry: , but for now we will carry on enjoying our strolls on the beach :D

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Miro went to see his vet yesterday; he had his monthly vitamin injection and immune system booster (he's quite a poorly thing) and a general once over (which he finds rather humiliating but we insist on). Certainly more than 3 minutes. Total cost: €12. We tell him he has to pay us back all this expense with love and affection. Needless to say, especially at these prices, Hell will freeze over before his account goes into the red and he finds himself back on the streets he came from . :lol:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:40 am

Antonia I know how you feel with the exception that my old girl does not seem to suffer any joint stiffness but she is a terrier and as fit as a butchers dog, aside from the cataracts and the deafness. She is 18 now and I brought her and her daughter with my from the UK. Daughter I had to put to sleep about 4 years ago and it broke my heart but her life would have just been prolonged in an artificial way and not a life as such.

Spoke to a friend last night whose vet often prescribes medication that my friend can collect from the farmacia. He said it is cheaper and is just the same as the medication that would be supplied from the vets who dispense. I guess there are many things which would fall into that category, as long as they are generic drugs if you know what I mean, and the vet knows what he is doing. I did query this and apparently the vet was a doctor prior to becoming a vet and is also a dentist :? I queried that also and she told me that a dentist actually studies longer than a doctor, not sure about vets though. Interesting.

I once had a dentist who was also my doctor, so I guess this has to be true.

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Metacam equivalent

Postby poppylou » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi Jennyshaw

We have tried to get Metacam from the vets out here (price £33 in UK for 100ml), and we have been given Meloxidyl which the vet says is exactly the same, but different name. I was surprised at the price here: 55.60 euros just for the product - no consultation given. With the current exchange rate that makes it more expensive than UK.

Perhaps we just have an expensive vet ...?