Legal responsibility for Cats / Dogs in Spain

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
sampedrena
Resident

Legal responsibility for Cats / Dogs in Spain

Postby sampedrena » Sat May 03, 2008 10:59 am

Does anyone have any information about whether owners are legally responsible for what their cats do? I seem to recall that in the UK, owners are responsible for the actions of their dogs and any damage caused by them, but that this does not apply to cats. I wondered if there was a similar distinction here. Any info would be much appreciated
La vida es un espejo, si sonries ella te sonrie

ICCSL
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cats

Postby ICCSL » Sat May 03, 2008 11:37 am

I am not 100% sure but having lived here as long as I have, I would imagine that you could sue anyone for anything in Spain. However, logic is likely to prevail in the Spanish courts. Cats cannot be controlled by anyone, you cannot train them in the same way as you can dogs. There are no legal requirements to register cats in Spain and although it is mandatory for dogs to be vaccinated against rabies, the same does not apply to cats.

My cat and dogs are insured, they all have microchips and the cost of insurance is 60 euros per year for each of them. The cover includes 150,000 euros for legal fees, 500 euros if they are killed in an accident, 250 euros of veterinary fees for them to be treated should they have an accident, 180 euros if the animal has to be put to sleep because of the accident, 400 euros if the animal is stolen and 180 euros toward looking for the animal if it should stray.

If someone was to take me to court over something that my cat allegedly did I would have 150,000 euros from my insurance company to defend myself. The chances are, as I mentioned before, that a Spanish court would not consider that cats are controllable (as indeed they are not).
Tina

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sat May 03, 2008 11:51 am

Tina wrote:
However, logic is likely to prevail in the Spanish courts.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I admire your optimism!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Jane and Terry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Registration of dogs,cats and ferrets

Postby Jane and Terry » Thu May 08, 2008 8:03 am

I have a copy of a document from the Junta detailing the requirements for identification and registration of dogs, cats and ferrets (!!!!) If I can work out how to scan it in and post it I will do so.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu May 08, 2008 7:10 pm

I thought it was a legal requirement to have them chipped, but I could be wrong (I usually am!)
As for controlling cats, true you cannot train them the same way as dogs, but you can control them inasmuch as you can keep them indoors, so it wouldn't surprise me if owners are as responsible for whatever their cat does, as they would be for whatever an uncontrolled (i.e. un-leashed) dog does.
I'm not advocating keeping your cats in (I know mine would hate me for trying) but it's worth mentioning that FIV is rife here, and risk of infection high due to the huge stray population, so if you can keep your cat indoors, it may be for the best anyway.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

julian
Andalucia Guru

cats

Postby julian » Thu May 08, 2008 7:32 pm

"you can keep them indoors"...that´s what I thought, but I couldn´t understand how after leaving the cats inside with all the doors and windows shut one of my cats was always waiting outside to greet me when i got back. turns out it climbed about 7 metres up the inside of the vertical chimney to get out onto the roof !!! good job the cat is a charcoal grey colour..well, it is now.

mirandamac
Resident

Re: cats

Postby mirandamac » Thu May 08, 2008 7:35 pm

julian wrote:good job the cat is a charcoal grey colour..well, it is now.
Brilliant! Trying to tell you something do you think?

julian
Andalucia Guru

cat

Postby julian » Fri May 09, 2008 8:41 am

I think the cat is trying to point out that he is the boss in this house and that he makes the rules!

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri May 09, 2008 8:44 am

Cats always are aren't they? Ours knows he is far superior to our 2 big dogs and lets them know it!