help my daughter has brought home an injured kitten

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
charlie2000
Andalucia.com Amigo

help my daughter has brought home an injured kitten

Postby charlie2000 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 am

My lovely little daughter is a hopeless animal lover ,any cruelty to animals breaks her heart,we have 5 baby turtles in the bath at the moment ,rescued from a dried up river and waitng to be transferred by dad to another river.The apartment complex we live in in marbella has lots of stray cats and despite being repeatedly told to leave them alone ,she has been climbing the balconies and taking tins of tuna to a weak little abandoned kitten ,last night she brought it home apparently an adult cat which she thinks is the mother climbed up and began attacking it,although it allows her to carry it is hisses and is aggresive,it is on our balcony at the moment in a little box with food and water,it is strong now .It may be blind in one eye although we are not sure ,its eyes seemed infected ,but my husband has bathed them and they are no longer sticky etc,now the point is everyone says they carry disease and so i dont want to risk Rosie being hurt by it ,but she will never forgive us if we put it back and it becomes harmed any advice on what to do thanks

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri May 30, 2008 8:16 am

My advice -
Take it to the vet and see if it is infected with anything, get it wormed, vaccinated against feline leukaemia and cat flu and thus give it a a good start health wise and then tell your daughter the kitten has been made well by the vet but needs to find another home now.....although if its declared healñthy and disease free then your daighter would not be harmed by it any more than any other cat unless it has a vicious nature and bites or scratches her. Cat bites are more dangerous.........as so much infection in a cats mouth but if this is an abandoned kitten and your daughter rescues it and cares for it etc then it could turn out to be the best pet ever.....

Good luck

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri May 30, 2008 10:21 am

Cats do not have diseases which are passed to humans. Yes, a cat bite can turn into an abscess so, wash with plenty of saline. Although I doubt that a small weak kitten would be able to exert the kind of damage needed to create an abscess. The hissing etc.. is it showing it's fear and an obvious sign that it has not had much human contact. Once it realised it is being fed and tended it will stop the aggressive behaviour.
I have a cat who I found under a bush in our gardens. He was 4 weeks old, riddled with fleas & ticks & a hissing, spitting bag of bones. I spent 3 days de-ticking him & cleaning him up. Now at 2 years old he is a beautiful fluffy creature who is absolutely devoted to us. Give the poor little thing a chance.
Your daughter sounds exactly like I was as a child :D

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri May 30, 2008 11:51 am

Your daughter sounds like mine was. Every school holiday she was the one who brought home all the pets from the classroom, including a chinchilla which was great fun, even when it tried to chew through the wires of the Xmas tree lights. I'd agree with lots of the above. Take it to the vets for a check over and injections if you can. Then food and love and you'll have a wonderful pet as well as a lovely caring daughter.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri May 30, 2008 2:13 pm

keep it, get it spayed?

we´ve taken in loads over time.

the turtles might not be, they might be terrapins... are they in water in the bath? and are they green and black and some with red bits?

terrapins can be very aggressive and the shells are poisonous to touch...

drop them into a pet shop or put them in a proper tank? but they shouldn´t really be handled.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

julian
Andalucia Guru

pets

Postby julian » Fri May 30, 2008 4:42 pm

I didn´t realise that terrapins have such a killer instinct, I remember having terrapins as a kid and I lived to tell the tale !!! :)

jackie001

Postby jackie001 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi

Dont worry too much about the hissing. We rescued a little kitten 8 years ago who hissed from the start and still does but she is a lovely cat and very loving to those close to her.

You must be really proud of your kind and thoughtful daughter, if everyone was like here there would be no problems in this world.

Retro P
Resident

Re: help my daughter has brought home an injured kitten

Postby Retro P » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 pm

charlie2000 wrote:My lovely little daughter is a hopeless animal lover ,any cruelty to animals breaks her heart,we have 5 baby turtles in the bath at the moment ,rescued from a dried up river and waitng to be transferred by dad to another river.The apartment complex we live in in marbella has lots of stray cats and despite being repeatedly told to leave them alone ,she has been climbing the balconies and taking tins of tuna to a weak little abandoned kitten ,last night she brought it home apparently an adult cat which she thinks is the mother climbed up and began attacking it,although it allows her to carry it is hisses and is aggresive,it is on our balcony at the moment in a little box with food and water,it is strong now .It may be blind in one eye although we are not sure ,its eyes seemed infected ,but my husband has bathed them and they are no longer sticky etc,now the point is everyone says they carry disease and so i dont want to risk Rosie being hurt by it ,but she will never forgive us if we put it back and it becomes harmed any advice on what to do thanks
My first question would be "What are you doing allowing your "lovely little daughter" to climb balconies, isn't a dangerous? :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:52 am

retro P. the forum social services. lol

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:00 pm

I´d love to know how your daughter and the kitten are getting along, I think Retrop and Bubba are still out looking for their hearts.............

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:40 pm

what has having a heart go to do with what I wrote, I was replying to the negative nanny state comment that retro P wrote. he has been in the uk too long I think. :lol:

charlie2000
Andalucia.com Amigo

rosies kitten

Postby charlie2000 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:27 pm

Jool wrote:I´d love to know how your daughter and the kitten are getting along, I think Retrop and Bubba are still out looking for their hearts.............
hi rosies kitten is doing fine ,although blind in one eye it is fit and well,the terrapins are in a big container on the balcony and she has lots in their tank for them rocks weeds ect,they are not aggressive at all,and she feeds them fresh prawns that her dad has to get from Mercadona,thanks for asking jool.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:00 pm

Ah bless. I have a one eyed cat and she rules our communal gardens. Takes no c**p from our huge dog either. She's a little character and it doesn't seem to affect her at all. Is your daughter keeping the kitten (be a bit hard to take it off her now :lol: :D )