Animal Neglect....Again!!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks Katy she is a little bit of a poppet :D

Tonight she actually ventured into the kitchen and suddenly found that this led into the walk in pantry where the dog food is served. She found herself looking at 3 full dishes of food. The look on her face was priceless, it looked as if she was saying "OMG all this food, where is all the competition?" She tucked in a bit but almost lost interest because it seemed to me she suddenly realised she did not have to fight for her food and that at least in this house the food was available to all.

I most sincerely cannot believe the rapid change in the demeanour of this dog, she had suddenly come from a very timid little girl into a little blossom who is still very afraid unless we are near. The shine she has taken to my OH is second to none, she really adores him, and it is reciprocal.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:36 pm

Blimey I know it is late but I have just gone on a hunt for little dog as she was no longer on the terrace. She was invited into the kitchen tonight whilst I cooked the evening meal as the terrace had become very hot and we were concerned that she was becoming overheated. We had our evening meal and she went in and out of the open kitchen door. The door was shut for the evening and she declined the invitation to come back in.

Half an hour ago I went to check to see if she was OK and she was nowhere in sight. Turns out she did come back into the kitchen via the cat flap? I have just watched her go in and out of the cat flap like a slinky.

Although she found her way into the kitchen she did not budge from there, she has since been invited into the whole house which I think blew her away a bit, and has now decided to come in and out until she feels a bit more comfortable. I think I should turn this into a saga...lol

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:34 pm

You are weakening, you will be giving her a name next. :lol:

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:55 am

It sounds to me that she's worked her magic and has found her new home...

Been a great thread... Well done guys.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:11 am

No trust me she has not found herself a new home, I cannot possibly keep her, and as for giving her a name.......don't go there :lol: OH has taken to calling her 'slinky' I had to have words with him, as you know what happens when you give a stray a name :shock:

Still need some kind hearted soul to give her a home

Kmoppz
Resident

Postby Kmoppz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:38 am

I wish I could help...

I had dogs for years, last 2 were German Shepard's, sadly they died along while ago.

I now travel on business, and too and from the UK every month... so until we retire, we cant have dogs again.

But the week we retire!

Hope you find a nice little home for her, I'm down in Spain next week, will have a chat with some of the neigbours. You never know one might want her.

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:55 am

Yeah I know 'Slinky', she NOW lives in Pulpite. Happy as Larry in her NEW home she is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:54 am

seriously,brought a tear to my eye,what a nice story,well done
i hope that slinky gets the home she deserves :wink:
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:02 am

Trog. you are both angels. What a fantastic thing you have done, well done. It seems to be an increasing problem, more and more dogs left abandoned to fend for themselves and the rescue centres are overflowing.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:30 pm

could it possibly be due to the number of brits flooding back to the uk?
i have seen it before,come here get a dog,go home leave the dog
sad

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:48 am

Hi

great to have a happy ending. A guy here in Iznajar returned to Uk and let his dogs loose on the campo....sorry have to say it WOT A GIT!!! luckily we have a fantastic lady here who looks after strays and she found them de-ticked them and I know at least one of them had a brilliant new home...why do people treat their animals like toys tht they can just get rid of when they are an inconvenience...
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:49 am

Frog, it's certainly a big part of it and it's not difficult to tell which dogs have been British. Walk well on a lead, trained to sit, like treats (Spanish owned dogs don't even seem to know what they are).

A high percentage of dogs coming in to PAWS in recent months have been from owners going back to the UK who have not bothered to keep passports up to date for their animals.

If any of you have a dog or cat here and don't have it's pet passport up to date please, please do it now as it takes at least 6 months to bring it back up to date and none of us knows what the future holds.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:09 pm

well said cassandra,if you love your pet.........

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 pm

Very Valid and very important point Cassandra, I wholly agree.

Tonight has not been the best in our doggy world. Our little dog who still awaits full rescue had a go and my big dally last night, and she was pretty mean with it, never seen her be so like this. However this did coincide with my teenage daughters return, so this could be relevant. Dally to his credit could have killed her on the spot, she weighs about 10kg's where the big dally boy weighs at least 25+kgs. He is a most tolerant boy and I am dead proud of him for allowing this waif and stray into his/our house without kicking off, and equally proud of him for not killing her, he most certainly did have cause in this particular case.

I have not been emotive in my analysis of this situation, but I strongly believe that the little girls motive for this action was to secure her place here, how sad it that :cry:

Her position here is tentative, I am trying to keep her alive, there is no way a happy ending this dog needs a home, really soon. Feeling a bit sad and weary tonight as this little dog is very needy and my other animals are starting to feel the attention deficit.
Update, she has been de ticked ( not sure if that is valid english) she has been wormed and boy did she need that :shock: She has a tick collar and she has been loved and still is. Please oh please can someone find a home for her? I ask because my personal situation is not the best right now, my elderly mother is terminally ill, my long time partner is now working away from home, I do not drive so it makes things a bit tricky here and to be fair this little girl is the last thing I need right now as I am having a nasty enough time as it stands.

Sorry I got a bit too emotional there :oops:

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:23 pm

I wish we could help but we leave for the UK in just under 3 weeks and I know PAWS is full to the gunnels.

I understand how difficult it is and we didn't have nearly the stress levels you have. Last year we rescued a young dog that we then fostered for six months during which she went from too shy to enter the room to queen bee but we were lucky in that our docile lurcher tolerated the intrusion and she loved him to bits. She was only aggressive outside the house and we always had a suspicion that it was with dogs she had to compete for food with or maybe any she saw as a threat to her. She went off to Germany last summer and as far as we know is settled there, no news is good news. If you haven't already done so contact some of the shelters again and ask if they will include her on their websites. I know PAWS will do that for anyone who cares for a stray dog in our area and you're not too far out of it. If you want to try them the website is http://www.paws-patas.org and you'll find contact details on there.

Keep pestering all the shelters, as many as you can find emails for, you never know when a space may come available or a foster home if they have them. Good luck.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Slightly better day today...slightly. She has wrecked our cat door, because she thinks she knows how to work it but clearly does not. My brother must have spent at least two hours trying to put the jigsaw together which used to be the flap :? . Her worming tablets are now starting to kick in, so she is now purging everywhere :shock: :shock: She has been confined to barracks tonight somewhere where I can tolerate cleaning but not in the house :cry:

She is now on nodding terms with my big dally but he is very under-impressed at the moment and he is like an elephant and has a long memory. The cats seem to have found a little more tolerance today, how long that is going to last is anyone's guess.

My stress levels are being quietly calmed by a very large brandy and coke..........unwards and upwards 8)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:23 pm

It's not easy is it! I am getting scared to click on this incase there is bad news :wink: We are all rooting for you :)

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks Katy :) Very much appreciated. I will try not to post bad news, I loathe it myself, I would prefer to be a mushroom ' Kept in the dark and fed on ****' works for me.....most of the time :lol:

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:25 am

And how is slinky doing?

We have heard nothing for a few days. Do wish I could help, but traveling back and forth to Canada often with our dog is about all I cam handle. Still have been wondering how things are going.

Fred

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:22 am

Hi thanks for asking about her. She is very much improved. We have finally purged her of all the worms, and she is now eating at more sensible level. I leave her food out all day and all night and she is now just eating when she needs food, and I am finding that at the end of the day she still has food left.

She is now steadily gaining weight, and we can no longer see her ribs, or her backbone. We can still see the tips of her hip bones, but I think given another week she should be close to her necessary weight. She is far more sociable and gives us a lovely greeting when we have been out. She does have some sort of fear about people being on stairs. I have a roof terrace which has stairs down onto the bottom terrace, and she barks like crazy if I go up or down them, and you can tell by her posturing that she is afraid. No doubt there is a story there, but we will never know.

Still no offers of a home, and she is not chipped, but to be fair I felt that was highly unlikely. One of the local papers has already done an online article about her and they go to press with the paper edition at the end of the week. Her picture is on the front page, with a story about her inside. I am hoping that this might bring forth an offer of a new home.

I will post some photos at the end of next week so you can see the difference a bit of TLC can do, who knows she may look more appealing :D