Animal Neglect....Again!!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Sorry if I am boring you guys with this story but it still remains a current situation as this little dog still has not found a home.

Quick update: Little dog, let us call her 'Slinky' for this moment in time as Spanish Hopes seems to like this name :P She is really coming together now. She knows at this time, due to her bodily functions she is allowed into the cool of the hall or the kitchen during the day, but at night she has to go to her shelter on the terrace (yes we built her a shelter :roll: ) She is very good and if she tries to enter the main house she will stand at the door and look at us and she either gets a yes or a no, if she is given a no she just lies in the hall. It makes me feel sooooooooooooo bad but it is necessary. She is actually a very bright little girl and she is learning new things every day and is most susceptible to new commands.

She is really filling out now that the worms/ticks/fleas have been ousted, and is gaining body mass like there is no tomorrow. For my part, looking at this little dog and how well she has come on brings a tear to my eye, especially when I remember back to the day we finally picked her up. I will post some more photos at the end of the week and show you the before and after. Please could I ask all of you again to please ask all the people you know if they will take her on. I do not want to have to put her to sleep but neither will I put her back out there on her own again. I am running out of time to continue to help this little girl and she will require new mummy & Daddy.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:13 pm

So glad that wasn't bad news. I had my fingers crossed on one hand while clicking the mouse with the other :?

Have you tried doing the round of the shelters again yet. You never know when a space in the kennels or even a foster home might become available and you could always try a bit of gentle blackmail and offer to do a fund raiser for whoever can take her in.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:06 pm

We have done deals with animal shelters in Spain before whereby we pay for the dog and they try and find a new home for them.........and take them in when there is space either at the shelter or in a foster home. We´ve homed a total of 9 dogs since being here, all strays we rescued, one had to be put down due to dreadful leishmania that was just too far gone and treatment not working.......

I so hope you can find somewhere for Slinky, she sounds great..........even if heading for chunky........

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:44 pm

Hope you find a home, we have 4 rescue dogs the last one is a thoroughbred old english bulldog, he adores my husband, but he wees on the terraces, smells is always getting dirty, snores like a pig, and keeps trying to attack our very big dog, bars the doorway so he cant get out, and has had numerous health problems since we found him. keeps chewing his feet till they bleed.
Much prefer a cross breed much less trouble. Its like having a pet pig, but pigs are cleaner.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:54 am

Hi Bubba,

Chewing feet can often be an indication of food intolerance/allergy. Have you tried RMB diet? Also helps with smelly dog syndrome. If he is not yet castrated, this may stop him peeing on the terrace.

I'm sure Peachy will agree with me that Bully's have a very dominant temperament and will often 'challenge' dogs/people that might get in the way of top dog status. You may have to do some dominant dog training to help calm this attitude a bit.

Troglodifae, I hope someone takes Slinky home. She sounds lovely. Keep up the good work :D

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:08 am

Bubba the old english bulldogges are taller than the british bullys arent they,bit more boxer like?
I have had numerous problems with my 2nd british bulldog,she is around 8 months old now,and she is gnawing her paw..she has just been in for an op yesterday to correct her cherry eye.she is running round today like a demented witch..I have had to seperate the two of them as she bullies the older dog,so he is upstairs sleeping,I dont want any accidents with claws and her stitches... :shock:
yes,they are very dominant,my pup really gets stuck into the big one,and challenges anything else that gets in her way...shes a witch. :wink: :lol:

But back to trogs post,I didnt want to comment as i feel disgusted that this beautiful dog has been dumped,she is a cracking lady,im sure she will find a loving home soon.Thanks for all you have done for her Trog. :wink:

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:36 pm

crazyred.will hopefully get him done soon, he has a large pair of watzits which look awful, and must get him some training, so far in 6 months he has had dermatitas and sunstroke. he loves to sunbathe. his legs are really dirty but we dont know how they got so dirty, he is eawing like a donkey apart from that he is fine, little sod.
Princess peach our bulldog is the churchill dog, if you know what I mean, he was found in san pedro on the motorway casually lying by the side of the road sunbathing, he then decided to take a leisurly stroll across the motorway to my horror, he was even more smelly than he is now, and very underweight. he is actually chipped and the owner left him outside while he went on holiday, he didnt want him. so once again we get the spanish cast offs, it would make a lovely change to be able to actually choose our dogs but the people who abandon their dogs make that decision for us.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:45 pm

OK expect very little sense in this post as I have have far more to drink than I should have...hic! This is pretty rare for me, not drinking more that I should, but posting when I have, if you know what I mean.

*beep* I have now forgotten what I was going to say :shock:

I just soooooooo hate that. Ok read back through the posts and remembered what I wanted to say. Pretty boring when all is said and done however those who have followed 'Slinky's story' Might find this interesting.

Little Slinky (Thanks Spanish Hopes it has now stuck) has started to play. She has spent the best part of the afternoon playing with a ball and having so much fun with it. Those of you who have not taken in a rescue dog or an abused dog might not understand how important this is in the rehabilitation of a dog. It is massively important and a major milestone. Those that have know exactly why I am so happy :D

To all of you it means she is trusting again and she is happy, and she is being the little dog she should have been,and without any pain or fear. Sobbing my heart out here not because I am sad but because I am very happy for Slinky...lol

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 pm

I so know what you mean, it truly warms your heart and well done to you....... 8)

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:15 am

That's excellent news :D It's a big step forward for a rescue dog!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:59 am

so Bubba you have a british bully then(same as me)
How lucky are you to have him.
The dirty legs he has(im sorry everyone)i would suspect will be from his willy.they drip horrible stuff and then when they sit..their bits rest on the legs...well,my male has dirty legs from his private parts... :oops: yuk!
Both of my bullys love the sun,and will bake in it rather than come in in the coolness of the house.
My male stinks even after he has just had a bath,he weighs 47 kilos and getting him in the bath is a struggle..as he hates it...the smelliest part of him is the croissant(tail)which regularly has to be uncoiled and cleaned(which he kind of likes)then i trim it.. :oops: to stop further dirtyness..
I would be thrilled to find a bulldog,I would have a houseful of them.I do intend to buy another one before this year is out,once the puppy has been fully housetrained.I just adore them. :D

as for your slinky Trog...its only all your hard work that has paid off with the dog,she obviously feels comfortable with you and her new surroundings,kindness and love go a long way dont they.You have probably more than helped her on her way to a lovely new home,You should be very proud of yourself. :wink:

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Another update about 'Slinky'. Just to let you know she is still with us, and still no signs of anyone wanting to adopt her. Still beating the doors down on the shelters and harassing most people, I meet, even complete strangers, but so far no luck.

Here is a picture of Slinky playing with my mental dally. She is now house trained but we have not had a chance to take her out on a lead as OH has done his back in and I need him to take the Dally or I end up on my backside as he is way too strong for me.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:10 pm

aww,all spotty...they look great friends done they!
I really hope you find a new home for slinky soon.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:50 am

I agree with frog, sadly. It's not just the Spanish who abandon dogs, cats etc...far from it. Around here, particularly, I'm told it's mostly Brits and other 'foreigners'. Why people can't be bothered to maintain passports/rabies jabs etc 'just in case' is totally beyond me. So much heartache avoided, and for people as much as the animals themselves.
And yes, I think Slinky sounds very happy in her new home....I've heard these words 'can't possibly' too many times -- most often from my lips! I now have THREE rescue cases which I 'couldn't possibly' keep.....
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 am

PS...peachy, I can't believe you said you were going to BUY another bully???? Please please please look around rescue centres first -- even for another breed?? -- as you know there are thousands of deserving -- and rewarding -- cases just desperate for a family home again. Many many pure-breds too. I know you have a kind heart so I beg you, stop and think really hard before putting (yet more) money into a breeder's pocket, encouraging them to carry on 'farming' dogs....I'm sorry to nag but I do feel very strongly about this (and did so in UK too). My own particular love is the GSD -- sadly I have none at the moment after about 30 years of having them -- and when natural wastage has reduced my existing dog numbers, I will probably try and get another GSD pup -- but NOT from a breeder!!
Please don't take offence anyone....this is just my opinion!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:14 pm

TJ tops,I do totally understand what you say,and i do agree with you.

At the moment,I have a male 4 year old Bully who is xxl and a female Bully who is 8 months.I do not think the big dog would except another dog of similar age to him into the home.I have had one other breed (before getting my Bullys)since living in Spain(and i rescued him from the Gib vets(unwanted staffy).(he got loose from the original owner and was found and compounded,she couldnt afford to get him back,so i paid the bill and picked him up)He was a total nightmare and i eventually after 1 year,gave him back to his original owner. :(
If you can find me a young Bulldog from a rescue home i have absolutley no problems in giving it a home.
The thing is,I adore this breed and couldnt have any other type.
I know im giving money to the breeders,but where else am i meant to buy or get one from.
If you can find me a Young British Bulldog,I will guarantee i will give it a good loving home.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi Peachy xx I'm so glad you realised that my post was nothing personal...me and thee usually see more or less eye to eye!!!
But I do still stick to what I said...and actually, nearer the time...I bet you that if you placed a few 'wanted' ads in some of your local papers/mags (even let me know and I'l put something on the new 'animal page' which I'm launching in Local Connections!!) or left messages at your local rescue centres and vets, you WILL find a really super Bully pup.
I DO know what you mean about breeds..as I said I would so dearly love another GSD but that said, I will scour all the above options to find one when I am able to, rather than line the pockets of these people who breed purely for money. There are far too many of them and if you think UK 'puppy farms' are bad, then I suggest you ask around about them here -- they are ten times worse because there is no legislation whatsoever that has any 'teeth.'
Good luck hunny xxx

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Trogs, thanks for the happy stories :)
I heard on local radio this week that a British couple had found a German Shepherd Dog in Viñuela. When they took it to the Vet it was found to have been chipped. The Spanish owner was traced and just said he didn't want it :x They think it was abandoned there because it was very far from home. That dog also needs a home as they are returning to the UK next week!

kexon
Resident

Animal Neglect......Again!

Postby kexon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:51 pm

I am in full agreement with tjtops, after many years of having cocker spaniels, we moved into our present house,to find the owner had left behind his gsd! I was rather wary of her at first,not being used to large dogs,well we fed her and looked after her,and I grew very fond of her and her uncanny ability to be able to almost read my mind! One year later we found her stone dead in the next field to ours,hubby and I were both very upset. One year after her death I spotted a long haired GSD on the AAA website,she was an older dog about 3 years and very big with a stiff back leg,we brought her home and she is my constant companion and super with our smaller dogs and an excellent guard dog and her leg is fine as she now gets plenty of exercise! So I am definitely a gsd convert!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:30 pm

I was actually brought up as a baby with a GSD,learned to walk with her. :D they are beautiful dogs.

Tjtops!Dont be daft,of course i wouldnt think what you wrote was personal,your post didnt come across like that to me at all. :wink:
Im looking for another one hopefully round christmas time(its not definate,we have some discussing to do first,as these dogs come with lots of health problems)
If you hear of a bully that is in need of a good home,please contact me as i absolutley love these dogs. :D