Animal Neglect....Again!!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:34 am

See? There are some grown-up people on here after all!!! (Naming no names, I can think of a few who WOULD have taken personal offence :lol: :lol: )
And yes of course I will....keep on truckin peachy xx
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

patricia
Andalucia Guru

dogs

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:46 am

I found a lovely pedigree Tibetan Spaniel in Frigiliana which was michrochipped and the vet rang the number and it was a Spanish family living in Torre Del Mar, they said they didn't want her anymore so obviously they had taken her there and dumped her. Anyway all´s well that ends well and I found her home almost straight away. :lol:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks Tops! :wink:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Re: dogs

Postby karandjon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:59 pm

patricia wrote:I found a lovely pedigree Tibetan Spaniel in Frigiliana which was michrochipped and the vet rang the number and it was a Spanish family living in Torre Del Mar, they said they didn't want her anymore so obviously they had taken her there and dumped her. Anyway all´s well that ends well and I found her home almost straight away. :lol:
Am I right in thinking that the owners of these microchipped dogs should be fined for not caring for the animal registered to them?

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

patricia
Andalucia Guru

cruelity

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:44 pm

There are plenty of laws and more being passed each year, but no one bothers to follow them through. Animal cruelty certainly isn't a priority here in Spain, bottom of the list I think.

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:00 am

Hi,

as for the fines yes they are supposed to be fined and quite high fines too from what I understand. The vet should have dealt with that and reported it. If the police gets it reported with they will act on it (with a little push) but without reports they can't...

Apart from that... How is slinky?
Can you also please tell me where you are based. I may be in previous posts but I "got lost". I am going to see if I can find anything around my way...
F?dd i Sverige men med Guds hj?lp Sk?ning :)

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:12 am

Hi Ulli

Slinky is doing fine, she is filling out nicely, and her character is really starting to shine through. She has adopted a little dog bed which she loves, and either spends her time chasing butterfly shadows on the terrace, eating, sleeping in her fav bed, or chewing the ears off my dalmatian....lol

I was asked for an updated photo of her last night, and the only recent one I have of her which was not a blur, makes her look like a thug or a loon. Spent ages trying to get a decent one of her but she moves so quickly.

We are based just outside Baza, in Granada. Slinky is now house trained, wormed, etc, and is being trained to basic commands in both English and Spanish, as we thought it might improve her chances of being re-homed.

This is a recent picture but as you can see she is looking a bit menacing, this is just because she did not know what the camera was and was nervous...lol

My lame attempt last night managed to get the back of her head, she was looking straight at me but then decided eating the dally's ears was much more fun. :roll:

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:14 am

What a great job you've done with Slinky. If I was over there I'd have her (hope OH doesn't read this or he'll be reluctant to move to Spain, thinking I will end up with a house full of animals!).
She certainly looks at home and happy with your dog.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Oh well done to you,she just looks better and better,I cant believe it was the same dog riddled with all those ticks not so long ago.
She looks right at home in your house...lol

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:03 am

Right you lot stop it right now...lol I am trying to find this little girl a loving family and we are not it. We would love to be,because we have become way too fond of her, but we really cannot keep her.

Please everyone ask about she is a splendid little girlie so very loving and giving. She goes bonkers when we come back from a little trip out, and her excitement is so very genuine.

If I could keep her, trust me I would, with all my heart, but I truly cannot.

We are now getting down to the knuckle with respect to the time we can keep her, and the alternative is not one I want to think about
:cry:

Seriously peeps I am now getting very,very upset and anxious.

Trog XX

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:17 am

Have you tried posting her details along with photo on lots of other forums as well?

Can I be personal and ask if its a financial issue or a practical one meaning you cannot keep her, such as lack of pet passport? If the latter would a foster home be any help? We cannot take in any dogs as our cat has been very ill and is nearly 19, fine with our dogs but petrified of others........and if its money I know large dogs are expensive but I´d be willing to contribute towards some of her keep.......you have done so well with her and she is clearly gaining in confidence every day.........

We all need to ask around everywhere repeatedly but there are so many dogs and abandoned animals at the moment, its worse than ever

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:50 am

No Jool it is not a financial consideration, were it just that then that would not be an insurmountable problem.

My elderly mother who lives with us has breast cancer, and we have put our property up for sale, as we will eventually be moving to a smaller property most likely out of this area of Spain. We are not intending to buy again, until we have decided where we want to settle. We will have to rent and I know how difficult it is with one big dog. Two would just be too much. Also our Dally is coming up to his 6th birthday so it is accepted that he has a certain life span, after such time we both actively decided that we would not take on any more pets as eventually we would like to travel, and you really cannot plan that sort of retirement when you have committed to a pet.

At the current time it is very difficult as I am constantly caring for my mother, trying to hold my businesses together and look after this vast house, and the animals. OH is working away, so our additional slinky is just adding to the pressure.

I guess that about sums it up. Trust me I have tried everywhere, to the point of being a nuisance. However if anyone has any other brainwaves I would be more than happy to listen as I am clean out of ideas

Finally got the cute picture I wanted.....she was asleep..... :lol: :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:25 am

Awwh, great photo. I know what you mean about being tied. Everytime we travel it means lots of negotiations with pet sitters. We planned to spend winters in Florida and only did it once with our "extended family". :roll:

Once you have taken them in and cared for them the Charities don't want to know. Do you know any German or Dutch in the area? many of them have adopted dogs from here as there is no need for the 6 month wait for a passport. Maybe one of the charities who advertise in those countries would include Slinky on their website.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:25 pm

Game to try any avenue to get this little girlie a home. I speak a little German and maybe enough to get my message across. No Dutch I am afraid but I do know very many Dutch people here who I know would help me with this. Good thinking that lady :D

The picture was a coup as she is normally racing about like a loon, but never far away from me. Her bed is right behind my desk in the office, and should she still be here in the winter she will be a very happy girlie as that is right next to the wood burner...lol

I have just had two very encouraging pm's, so I am keeping my pinkies crossed that something good will come from them. Not letting on right now as I do not wish to pre-empt anything nor put the kiss of death on it either. However if you nice people could think happy thoughts and happy ever after with all your pinkies and tootsies crossed then who knows :D

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I certainly will, I have been in your shoes too many times..........!!

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Ah so it was you that kept taking my shoes outside onto the terrace :lol: There was me thinking it was Slinky :lol: :lol: I hasten to add she does not chew them she just likes to carry them about from place to place.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:21 pm

I wish our puppy would just carry things around in his mouth. His mother was abandoned in the campo, we got him at aprox. 6 weeks- he was a big lad then, he´s even bigger now :shock:
Tally on the last month....
2 watch straps (chewed the replacement of the one he´d arlready chewed) my croc sandles (I know some will be cheering at that!) my good shoes, only ones I had that were both smart and comfy, my new trousers, corner of the sofa, he was caught with my friends watch in his mouth - luckily he did no damage, it was an expensive watch :shock: I´m sure there is more I just can´t think at the moment :lol:
We do love him to bits though :lol:

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:09 pm

That really is a problem, however one way I found to combat this with a springer spaniel I had many years ago, was to give her something of her own. Some dogs are very tactile and need things to chew, things in their mouths. I found if she had 'Her thing' she left the rest alone. Might be worth a try no promises that this technique will work for you but worth a try ?

yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby yummymummy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:08 am

Have you tried advertising on segundamano.es? There is an animal section there with puppies and dogs that need rehoming. Its free and you can add photos. May be worth a try.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:25 am

Thanks for that very useful. I will give it a go. Trouble is I just spent 10 mins looking at the dalmatian puppies :? :shock: I get sucked into things so easily :lol: