introducing wild kitten to home dogs - help ?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
anis
Resident

introducing wild kitten to home dogs - help ?

Postby anis » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 am

5 weeks ago, we adopted an abandoned female feral kitten, which we rescued from our dog's mouth. She had been hanging around the house for days and was very thin, poorly and couldn't see properly.
We do not like cats particularly and the feral colony next to us, have taken many a swipe at our koi, but this poor thing was on its last legs, so we relented.
I also am aware that if you have your own cat, it can keep other cats / ferals out of your territory plus I can teach this one to leave the fish alone.
She is now healthy, kept in a bedroom, litter trained, no fleas, worms and I think about 10 weeks old. After a week of biting me and hissing, she has now become very affectionate, took a great deal of patience.
She will even roll on her back for a tickle without biting me.
We have introduced her in the lounge to our calm 8 yr old yorkie and there is no problem - they seem to quite like each other.
All this I have gleaned how to do from the internet, but now I am stuck.
The big problem is our boxer cross one year old pup, who is completely mad, father some sort of hunting dog. She is the size of a labrador and strong, with a chewing fetish for anything dead or alive.
She cannot keep calm enough on the lead in the lounge to even sit still with the cat. The cat is terrified of her having been in its jaws once.
She chases feral cats out of the garden. I am concerned she will kill it.
She is a very hyperactive dog - even the vet says she won't calm down for two years.
I can't keep the cat locked up forever. I leave the window open now so she can go exploring, but I will need the bedroom back soon.
We take the dog out of the lounge every time she goes hyper and then bring her back in again when calm - that lasts for 30 seconds !
We tried her off lead - disaster - she started rooting up the sofas trying to dig the cat out.
Please does anyone have any suggestions ?
We would like to keep the feral, but the dogs come first, however badly behaved the pup is. They are in house dogs and we would like the cat to live in too. Whatever happens, I will get her spayed anyway as soon as possible.

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:25 am

Do you ever watch The Dog Whisperer on Sky Three (7pm Spanish Time). He has dealt with a few similar issues with cats and dogs. His process works every single time! Try the website for some tips:

www.cesarmillaninc.com

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Yes, I watch that often and thought I had been doing the thing Cesar does with the dog, taking it out and bringing it back when calmer. The dog is already on rock rose, which is a herbal holistic medicine to calm her down a bit when she needs it, prescribed by the vet, particularly for when she visits her ! I'll try giving her a sniff of it pre next cat meeting.
I think I am on a hiding to nothing really, which is a shame because she is a nice little cat and desperately wants to be accepted into the home fully, dogs and all.
Perhaps I should have left her be and may have caused more problems for her, if I cannot get the dog to leave her alone.
I was lucky and caught her young enough to domesticate her, but she can still have a hissing fit occassionally, so I doubt anyone would want her but me. She certainly wouldn't win a cat show either !

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm sure there is a way around your problem, don't give up hope :D Have a look at these links:

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/column/20060630.php

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/issu ... active.php

You can also send him a question specific to your problem. Good luck, you'll be so proud when they eventually get along :wink:

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Good Luck, we are in a similar situation, but I bit the bullet, kept them all together straight away, but never left the dogs alone with the kittens, when I had to leave them kept the dogs in the house and the kittens outside. Its was very hard work!!!!! Took about 5 days and nights of constant supervision Our dogs were street dogs had them about 3 years now, so may be a bit calmer, though one is a Spanish hunting dog and has decided that they are her pups......not sure if thats good or bad but I watch her all the time. The kittens are now about 6 weeks old according to the ´kind´ neighbour who gave them to my animal loving son and told him they would be shot if he did not have them! Never had cats before, and dont want any more so they will be off to the vets to be spayed as soon as possible - between 3 and 6 months I think unless anyone wants to tell me different. Not much help I know, but just to let you know you are not alone. Once again good luck

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:10 pm

Yes I think work on the dog´s hyperactivity first and continue to strengthen cat´s confidence.......... also may be worth putting cat in a carry case after creating it as a place of safety in cat´s mind, then placing cat case with cat in it in same room as dog............so dog gets used to cat scent in room....and use distraction technique every time dog goes near carry case smelling of cat. Cesar Millan works wonders as well as others have said.......

We have two dogs and one cat. Cat terrified of other dogs but sleeps curled up with ours. Our dogs happy with cat but will chase any stray cat out of the garden and be very indignant about its sheer cheek when we have a family cat!!!! Our cat is part of their pack.......we feed them together and dogs will not eat cat food on floor yet cat will eat dog food if he feels like it and they just give way to him!!!! We had another cat once who could stop a huge dog running towards them just by a look and body posture, once a dog knows cat can scratch or box dog ears they learn some respect for cats and the cat will be boss.

Good luck.......

julian
Andalucia Guru

cats

Postby julian » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:23 pm

if the cat survives the initial difficult period it will definitly end up being the boss......the dog´s boss and your boss, cats don´t come second !

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and advice all. Please keep it coming because I am not having any luck.....
We have been putting the kitten in a cat cage for over a week already in the lounge, trying to familiarise them all. We even made a big dog guard between the open plan rooms, so the big dog can see the kitten, but not enter the room. The big dog ( nearly christened it ASBO as a pup ) sits and whines at kitten all the time, wanting to get at it.....
This afternoon, I nearly drowned said dog in Bach and Rock Rose traquiliser expensive holistic stuff and I swear she was more hyper than before. I had taken her for a second walk of the day, as per instructions, to make her calm and work off the nervous energy. The only one exhausted at the end of our cat intro lesson was me !
Sat the mad dog in the lounge and slowly inched our way to the poor kitten, who bravely stood her ground on the sofa, trying to look cool, but finally lost her nerve, having been sprayed with mad spittle, froth and Bach.
Any more ideas ?
Should I risk a free for all, Pilgrim ? We are tempted, but would feel dreadful if the dog hurt the kitten ? The dog points, stomps on the ground to flush game and jumps like a gazelle, so am sure she has hunting genes.

julian
Andalucia Guru

dogs

Postby julian » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:29 pm

how about a muzzle till they get used to each other? I think you might need a dog behaviour expert !

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks Julian, I completely forgot about that and I have a couple of muzzles. That might just do the trick. At least she won't be able to kill it.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

cats

Postby patricia » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Just another thing you could do to help your dog come to terms with the new kitten is to use a blanket and have the kitten sleep on it and then use it for the dog to sleep on and repeat this so that your dog begins to get used to the smell of the kitten and also to grasp the idea that the kitten is here to stay and that it is also her/his home as well - just repeat it for as long as necessary.

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Anis
Every boxer I have ever helped train has had stress problems. Do not know how much training you have done but great exercise is the long down, not only does it help your position with the dog but also helps the dog cope.

Initially needs to be done in an area that has no distractions but eventually can be done with distractions around (especially *beep* cat)!!!

Start with lead on and place dog into down (ONE COMMAND ONLY) you can be either sitting on floor or chair (depends on how many times you need to place dog back down) if dog gets up say nothing and place back in exactly the same place you first placed (this is very important) you must be in charge not dog. When dog settles you can very quietly praise. You may have to replace dog numerous times the first couple of times you do this exercise, remain calm. Try to do this for approx 1/2 hour 3-4 times during week. At the end of this exercise release the dog by using a release word I use OK and lots of fuss and hugs as this will release any stress in the dog from doing this exercise.

If during any of this the dog becomes stressed STOP a stressed dog does not learn and it does not help your blood pressure either. Both take a break and then restart.

Build the exercise by you getting up and moving around the room then once the dog can stay down whilst you do this then try leaving the room and coming back in. After this you can start introducing distractions. This will obviously take time but do not try to rush it and it's like building a wall if you do not get the foundation level correct the whole wall will fall.

Good luck, :) please pm me if you want any further info.

Chris

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:16 am

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for the advice, I've never had any dog akin to a boxer before - just retrievers, English mastiff and a yorkie so this is a different game for me.
The pup has been doing out of sight stay for me for some months now (not particularly good at it but she tries :lol: ) and is keen to please. From the way I have described her, you would think neither of us could do anything relating to training, but one of my goldies won an obedience show once and I have always taught my dogs the rules of obedience.
This dog is quick to learn, but scatty and over zealous.
Her problem is we are surrounded by ferals ( which try to kill our fish ) and she has had to chase them out of the property from day one. Now she has to unlearn all that and accept the feral kitten - the enemy.
We have made a little progress however.
All the house doors are open to all animals in the day, when we are in, and the cat hides in many places ( which we let her discover on her own before trying this tactic out ) - it has now become a bit of a game, which I think they are both secretly quite enjoying.
The dog soon tires and ignores the cat, which is good. When the dog goes looking for the kitten nowadays, she goes with a wagging tail and not rushing or lunging. I don't think she intends her harm now.
We also have pleasant times with just the yorkie and kitten in the lounge with us, playing with each other( the cat is boss already) no problems at all with those two, so I am hopeful.
The kitten has become very, very loving and has access to the great outdoors at all times. She could go back to her wild haunts and join the feral pack if she wanted to ( for the past fortnight ) but she chooses not to, despite being "hounded" by our mad dog, so I don't think she can be too frightened of her.
We tried two muzzles - the dog put Houdini to shame and had them off in seconds !!!
I will work more on the out of sight stay, as you suggest, because she is hopeless with distractions. It's a good idea because if I could get that right, the problem with the cat would not exist at all. We have been working her quite a bit lately and it is paying off. She is like a troublesome but loveable teenager ! Thanks again.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:25 am

Sounds like things might be settling down a bit anis. It does take time for dogs to get used to cats but it will happen, especially as they are young.

Good luck and well done you for persevering. I have always had cats, and no home seems the same to me without one in it.

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:38 am

Anis
Sounds like things are moving in the right direction and your boxer is realising that this cat is here to stay :o

Good luck in the future

Chris

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:57 pm

[img][img]http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354 ... chment.jpg[/img]

Success at long last - it has taken weeks but feral kitten and mad dog are bonding ! :) Hope this image works - it is my first attempt.[/img]

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:58 pm

Nice to see and good ppic
Fred

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:22 pm

She looks like a really pretty cat!

julian
Andalucia Guru

cat

Postby julian » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:25 pm

or a pretty terrified cat

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:41 pm

If she was terrified she'd be heading rapidly in the other direction or be ready with her paws & claws to defend herself. She looks quite relaxed to me.